The Johnny Bench Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Johnny Bench Award

The Johnny Bench Award is given annually to the top college catcher.

http://members.tripod.com/bb_catcher...rs/jbaward.htm

What I find ironic is that Johnny Bench never played college baseball.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Looking at the recipients since it started, it resembles the results of players winning the Heisman Trophy. You get one very good player, 2-3 guys who had decent years, and the rest who really never made it at the elite level.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I propose calling it the Moe Berg Award, since he not only went to college, but earned about 14 degrees AND spied on the Japanese students club for good measure.
      ;^)
      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

I think the award is meant to honor great accomplishment at the college level and shouldn't been seen as some sort of "scouting tool".
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
          I propose calling it the Moe Berg Award, since he not only went to college, but earned about 14 degrees AND spied on the Japanese students club for good measure.
          ;^)
          Has a major sports award ever been named after a guy with a uni-brow?

Moe_Berg.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X