Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaches Who Are (ex-) Players - can they play again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches Who Are (ex-) Players - can they play again?

I got to thinking of this when I remembered that Mets/Cardinals game that went like 20 innings. As I recall, they had trouble finding enough players to take over pitching duties because all of the pitchers had been depleted already. My question is this: If one of the assistant coaches, such as the bullpen or pitching coach, is a former player, and (just for the sake of argument) is physically sound and is able to throw effectively, is it theoretically possible that they could come back into the game as a player if they are needed? Would there be some kind of rule against this?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    I got to thinking of this when I remembered that Mets/Cardinals game that went like 20 innings. As I recall, they had trouble finding enough players to take over pitching duties because all of the pitchers had been depleted already. My question is this: If one of the assistant coaches, such as the bullpen or pitching coach, is a former player, and (just for the sake of argument) is physically sound and is able to throw effectively, is it theoretically possible that they could come back into the game as a player if they are needed? Would there be some kind of rule against this?
    The only way a coach could get into a game is if he were on the active roster.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X