Why is Bonds loved in SF. and Sosa hated in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Bonds loved in SF. and Sosa hated in Chicago

I was thinking about this the other day and I realize Bonds was the better player but Sosa used to be loved in Chicago, almost as much as Michael Jordan yet he's despised nowdays in Chicago while Bonds seems to be loved in SF. I guess part of it could be from Sox fans never letting Cub fans forget Sosa's past or that Sosa walked out on the team back in 04 but as far as I know Sosa treated Cub fans pretty good while Bonds acted like a jerk towards fans.

I know it's a dumb question but it's pretty slow here today. Alot of hangovers i'm guessing.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...mfortable-quot

A gay rights movement has taken hold in the current events section.

Elton John is scheduling a Torii Hunter protest concert there as we speak.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Bonds generally treated SF fans well.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

We were in SF in 2008 on our honeymoon and noticed the Giants had removed everything Bonds related from the park.

Comment

Lol yeah thats a pretty popular thread right now.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by dadair6 View Post
            We were in SF in 2008 on our honeymoon and noticed the Giants had removed everything Bonds related from the park.
            But the fans still liked Bonds. After 04 the Cub fans couldn't stand Sosa. I suppose the misery of the Cubs got to much and they just went after anyone and Sosa was a good scapegoat. Although Giants fans went through a drought to with Bonds too.

Comment

I thought the Cubs players were pretty sick of Sosa as well.

Comment

The perception is Sosa quit on the Cubs. Despite all of Rick Reilly's attempts to attack Bonds at every opportunity for everything, that one has never been attributed to Bonds.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Well, I'm a Sox fan, but a lot of my Cub friends have definitely turned on Sosa. Only one guy I know still likes Sammy. From my perspective, I disliked him even when he was on the Sox.

Some of the reasons he isn't liked:

Steroids
                  Liar
                  Personal dealings with Sosa (restaurants, etc.) where his true personality came out
                  Latin Leader of the racial battles against the white/black guys on the team (McRay, Grace) - some very ugly situations
                  Racial comments that were on the edge of being deemed racist
                  Boom Box
                  Sammy's lackeys in the clubhouse and on the field
                  Corked Bat
                  Beating wife with rum bottle
                  Losing at least $10000 in a brown shopping bag at the Caribbean World Series
                  Quitting on the team
                  Congressional hearings
                  Ability to suddenly lose ability to understand English when things didn't go his way
                  Skipping Cub conventions and/or being forced to attend

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
                  "He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course he'd call a press conference to announce it" Catfish Hunter speaking about Reggie Jackson.
                  Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                    Well, I'm a Sox fan, but a lot of my Cub friends have definitely turned on Sosa. Only one guy I know still likes Sammy. From my perspective, I disliked him even when he was on the Sox.

Steroids
                    Liar
                    Personal dealings with Sosa (restaurants, etc.) where his true personality came out
                    Latin Leader of the racial battles against the white/black guys on the team (McRay, Grace) - some very ugly situations
                    Boom Box
                    Corked Bat
                    Quitting on the team
                    Congressional hearings
                    Ability to suddenly lose ability to understand English when things didn't go his way

...charity fund being a scam ...

Comment

Didn't Sammy throw a tantrum a couple years ago after he demanded the club retire his number and they refused? I thought I heard something like that being discussed while watching a Cubs game a couple years back. Has there been any mention from any club about retiring the numbers of those tainted by that PED era?
                      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Does Sosa still look like this?

Bonds hasn't played in over 5 years, can his head fit in his old caps again? When you're not on HGH anymore does your head return to normal size?
                        Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM.
                        The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Steroids
                          Liar
                          Boom Box
                          Corked Bat
                          Quitting on the team
                          Congressional hearings

I've heard about the hatred for Sosa in the Cubs clubhouse especially with that boombox. It would be interesting to know storys of what Sosa did to start some of these fights. I gotta wonder what he did to irk Mark Grace.

Yeah after reading your list I can see why Sosa is hated more than Bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                            Has there been any mention from any club about retiring the numbers of those tainted by that PED era?
                            I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Mets will retire Piazza's number if he's elected this year.
                            I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                            - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                              I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Mets will retire Piazza's number if he's elected this year.
                              As far as I know, Piazza hasn't been linked to PED's by anyone except the "journalist" who observed acne on Piazza's back in the locker room. I wouldn't call that "tainted" by the PED era.
                              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X