Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "All Pretty-Good Career" Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The "All Pretty-Good Career" Team

    Let's see who can make the best starting nine (8 position players and a DH) using the following criteria:

    Retired players only
    Career BA below .300
    Fewer than 200 career HR
    Fewer than 1,000 career RBI
    Fewer than 1,000 career runs scored


    Here's my team:

    C Thurman Munson
    1B Frank Chance
    2B Bill Mazeroski
    SS Jim Fregosi
    3B Al Rosen
    LF Charlie Keller
    CF Andy Van Slyke
    RF Carl Furillo
    DH Gavvy Cravath
    My top 10 players:

    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

  • #2
    C- Chris Hoiles
    1B- Leon Durham
    2B- Tom Herr
    SS- Garry Templeton
    3B- Whitey Kurowski
    LF- Mike Easler
    CF- Lenny Dykstra
    RF- Terry Puhl
    DH- Ken Phelps

    This would be a "pretty good team!"
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

    Comment


    • #3
      Let's see who's left:

      C Walker Cooper

      1 Ed Konetchy
      2 Johnny Evers
      3 Heinie Groh
      S Lou Boudreau

      L Roy White
      C Curt Flood
      R Tommy Henrich

      D Jackie Jensen

      (Jeff Heath might have been a better hitter than Jensen, but I wouldn't have him on my team, even an imaginary one.)
      Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, good call on Boudreau! I thought he would've score 1000 runs, but that's a good catch for SS! What's the story on Heath? Was he a jerk or something? Jensen was one of my Grandfather's favorites, so I would be more inclined to take him too over Heath. Good team!
        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
          Wow, good call on Boudreau! I thought he would've score 1000 runs, but that's a good catch for SS! What's the story on Heath? Was he a jerk or something? Jensen was one of my Grandfather's favorites, so I would be more inclined to take him too over Heath. Good team!
          Thank you.

          The capper on Heath for me was his breaking his discarded bat after Willard Brown used it, but he was really seen as a jerk by a lot of people. His wikipedia bio is just a litany of his alienating behavior throughout his career.

          He was seen as both as obnoxiously aggressive and indifferently lazy, which is an odd combination. [Perhaps a sign of bipolarity?] I'm sure he had some good points, and he was an amazing hitter, with both speed and power. If he'd had, say, Musial's personality, instead of a self-destructive degree of universal animosity, he'd've been something.

          Edit: There's also a very good SABR bio here: ed. Link deleted as containing inappropriate content, as it was not SABR connected but a picture of a naked female.
          Last edited by jalbright; 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM.
          Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

          Comment


          • #6
            Glenn Davis and J.T. Snow are also possibilities at 1B.
            Hal McRae can go in the outfield (or DH, if it's after his rotator-cuff tear).
            Jason Varitek is a good catcher.

            PS on Jeff Heath: it's my belief that quirkiness/jerkiness/superstition was his motive with Willard Brown...not racism, as is often stated.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dick Bartell, Tony Taylor and Mark Grudzielanek at 2B.
              Jason Kendall, Smokey Burgess and Tony Pena at C.
              Pinky May, and Aurelio Rodriguez at 3B
              Gene Woodling, Irv Noren, and Gee Walker* at OF
              Johnny Logan and Granny Hamner at SS
              Jim Gentile at 1B

              * Walker barely qualifies for this "Almost Great Team" with just under the 2,000 hit milestone - 1991 H, just under the 1000 runs and 1,000 RBI milestones - 954 R and 997 RBI and just under a .300 batting average - 294.
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                PS on Jeff Heath: it's my belief that quirkiness/jerkiness/superstition was his motive with Willard Brown...not racism, as is often stated.
                There is no doubt he was an equal-opportunity jackhole, and it's easy to imagine him doing that to anyone. His world is so self-bounded I wonder if even the concept of racism could penetrate it.

                After all, racism implies a degree of social solidarity, "Us v Them," that I don't think Heath ever attained. There was no "Us" for him.

                And it's preposterous to expect him to avoid harassing Brown in order to avoid the perception of racism. This assumes both that other people exist autonomously and that their understanding of the world matters, assumptions Heath seems free from.

                The more I learn about him, the more I agree with your point.

                I still wouldn't have him on my imaginary team, though.
                Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

                Comment


                • #9
                  At this point I might put Hideki Matsui at DH.
                  My top 10 players:

                  1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    c- Wally Schang
                    1b- Ferris Fain
                    2b- Tony Lazzeri
                    ss- Eddie Joost
                    3b- Bob Watson
                    rf- Joe Cunningham
                    cf- Pepper Martin
                    lf- Gene Woodling
                    DH- Max Bishop

                    this team would set the record for LOBs....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Some other options: BJ Surhoff, Steve Finley, Chuck Finley, Dixie Walker, Curt Simmons, Bob Friend, Doyle Alexander, Lew Burdette, Johnny Callison, Camilo Pascual, Livan Hernandez, Claude Osteen, Harland Clift, Pinky Higgins, Bucky Walters, Milt Pappas, Felipe Alou, Matty Alou, Ozzie Guillen, Dave Bancroft, Bill Virdon, Jim Gentile, Johnny Romano, "Moose"Skowron, Dick Radatz, John Wyatt, Larry French, Roy Face, Brooks Lawrence, Hersh Freeman, Luke Easter, Dale Mitchell, Sherm Lollar, Vic Power, Mel Parnell, Harry Dorish, and the just-retired Lance Berkman.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                        Some other options: BJ Surhoff, Steve Finley, Chuck Finley, Dixie Walker, Curt Simmons, Bob Friend, Doyle Alexander, Lew Burdette, Johnny Callison, Camilo Pascual, Livan Hernandez, Claude Osteen, Harland Clift, Pinky Higgins, Bucky Walters, Milt Pappas, Felipe Alou, Matty Alou, Ozzie Guillen, Dave Bancroft, Bill Virdon, Jim Gentile, Johnny Romano, "Moose"Skowron, Dick Radatz, John Wyatt, Larry French, Roy Face, Brooks Lawrence, Hersh Freeman, Luke Easter, Dale Mitchell, Sherm Lollar, Vic Power, Mel Parnell, Harry Dorish, and the just-retired Lance Berkman.
                        Livan Hernandez? The pitcher?
                        My top 10 players:

                        1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Are they allowed to have played in the 19th Century?
                          “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

                          "Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I went with players not yet selected in this thread:

                            C Brian Harper
                            1b Doug Mientkiewicz
                            2b Bucky Harris
                            3b Corey Koskie
                            SS Cristian Guzman
                            RF Tony Conigliaro
                            CF Larry Hisle
                            LF Marty Cordova
                            DH Roy Smalley

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                              I went with players not yet selected in this thread:

                              C Brian Harper
                              1b Doug Mientkiewicz
                              2b Bucky Harris
                              3b Corey Koskie
                              SS Cristian Guzman
                              RF Tony Conigliaro
                              CF Larry Hisle
                              LF Marty Cordova
                              DH Roy Smalley
                              There is something about this list, something that unites all these names, but I just can't think of what it is. Hmmmmmm...
                              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X