Player talents elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player talents elsewhere

For example, Ted Williams is the best fisherman among his fellow players.

Who else was the best at something outside of baseball?
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

My dad still has his "Ted Williams" tackle box that he got while working for Sears back in the '70s.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

John Elway as a quarterback.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Monte Ward was one of the best amateur golfers in America in the early 1900's. There wasn't a pro circuit back then.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
          John Elway as a quarterback.
          Danny Ainge was pretty good in the NBA as well.

This is the perfect question for the little blurbs on the back of baseball cards in the 1970s and 1980s. They always had "interesting" tidbits on the back of the card about players hobbies like lounge singing, reading chemistry textbooks, or collecting stardust.
          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Fred Tenney was an accomplished artist who dabbled in various art forms and did sketches of other ballplayers. He attended Brown University but studied art after he graduated.

Comment

I'm kind of hoping Moe Berg was a better spy than he was a baseball player.
              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                Danny Ainge was pretty good in the NBA as well.

This is the perfect question for the little blurbs on the back of baseball cards in the 1970s and 1980s. They always had "interesting" tidbits on the back of the card about players hobbies like lounge singing, reading chemistry textbooks, or collecting stardust.
                Ainge was a good shooting guard on my favorite team. I'm trying to recall the famous biting incident, and I think he was the biter but maybe he was the bitten?

Yeah the old cards had interesting tidbits about the players and where they were from. My friends and I used to memorize everything on the back of the card.

Comment

I've heard Doug Glanville referenced as one of the smartest guys in baseball.
                  Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Billy Sunday was the leading Evangelist of the 1900-1920 era. At the age of 12 he was placed in an orphanage.

Comment

Jeff Conine was the US Junior racquetball champion before he became a pro baseball player. He has also competed in the Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii (where he was injured in a bike crash while training for it), and in other long distance events.

Comment

Dave Winfield was an amazing all-around athlete and probably could have starred in a number of pro sports.

Cardinals shortstop (also played for the Browns, A's and Senators from 1913-1924) Doc Lavan was a very successful medical doctor. Here is a quick description of his career outside of baseball, from Cardinals Journal, by John Snyder (page 180):

. . . A practicing medical doctor with a degree from the University of Michigan, Lavan was an officer in the US Navy Medical Corps during both World War I and World War II, retiring with the rank of Commander in the Naval Reserves. He was also a health officer in New York City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Toledo, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids, and served as director of research for the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis.

Cardinals outfielder in the 1930s, Ernie Orsatti, was a successful Hollywood agent. Same book, same author, page 254:

Orsatti played for the Cardinals from 1927 through 1935, mostly as a reserve outfielder. Before entering professional baseball, he worked as a stunt double for silent screen star Buster Keaton. Orsatti also drew paychecks from Hollywood studios as a cameraman and assistant director. After his playing career ended, he was an agent and managed some of the top names in show business including Sonja Henie, Veronica Lake, Ann Miller, Jack Haley, and the comedy team of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

Orsatti also had screen time in the 1934 movie, Death on the Diamond, which was filmed before a Cardinals game that season. From page 266:

June 26 - The Cardinals' hitting rampage results in a 13-7 win over the Dodgers at Sportsman's Park.

Before the game a scene from the movie Death on the Diamond was filmed. The scene started with two Cardinals on base and Ernie Orsatti at bat. Orsatti slammed a long drive into left-center where it was kicked around by the fielder, who then threw wildly past third. Sprinting toward the plate, Orsatti suddenly collapsed in a heap. The Brooklyn catcher rushed out, retrieved the ball, and tagged Orsatti, and umpire Bill Klem signaled him out with a grand, sweeping gesture. The Cardinals rushed out and surrounded their fallen teammate. Death on the Diamond, starring Robert Young, was released in September. In the story, Cardinals players were being murdered one by one. Young played a rookie pitcher who solved the mystery.

Comment

Bernie Williams' musical career
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                            Bernie Williams' musical career
                            Didn't Jack McDowell and Eric Show also play in bands?

Comment

^ Show played the guitar all the time but I don't know if he was ever in a band.

Although, Scott Spezio was (and, IIRC, still is).

Oh, and as for player "talents"...

Now think about that and try to sleep tonight.
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X