Player talents elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Madlock was an excellent table tennis player apparently
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

While reading a book on the lives of former Cardinals (Where Have You Gone?, by Rob Rains with Keith Schildroth, 2012) I found this:

Dick Groat -
      A member of the National College Basketball Hall of Fame (2007), he was the leading scorer on his basketball team at Duke University in 1951 and 1952, averaging 25 points a game in '51 and 26 points and 7 assists per game in '52. He has been (at the time of the book's writing in 2012) the announcer for the University of Pittsburgh's basketball team (with Bill Hargrove) for 33 years now. He was a first-round draft pick of the NBA's Fort Wayne Pistons, appearing in 26 games for them and averaged 11.9 points/game.

Bob Tewksbury -
      During his pitching career from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, Tewk was known for his awesome artwork he would draw. He said his last picture was one of Mark McGwire and Ken Griffey, Jr. he did in 1998, but his busy life back in college took over his drawing time. He is studying to finish his master's degree in sports psychology, so he can continue to work with young players to help them to be productive players.

John Tudor -
      John Tudor plays hockey in a league up around Boston, just another New England hockey player/former pitcher like Chris Carpenter and Tom Glavine. I don't know if Carp or Glavine are playing hockey still, but Tudor is.

Jeff Lahti -
      Lahti bought a farm in Oregon outside of Portland with his share of the 1982 World Series winner's money, and built a house there. He started planting trees (apple and pear) after starting out with a 5 acre clump of those trees when he bought the land. He added 60 more acres and kept planting trees, now with over 8,000 in his orchard which is beginning to produce. He said he always wanted to buy a farm when he left baseball, and was lucky he invested his winnings early on -- Lahti's career was ended after 4 years due to a torn rotator cuff in 1986. During a New Year's Eve party in 1983, Lahti named his orchard "All Star Acres."
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Ex-pitcher Rich Nye had a degree in civil engineering but wanted to do something different. He became a commodities trader. One day he met up with John Olerud Sr. and they talked, and before long Rich was in veterinary school. After graduating, he practiced avian medicine and even wrote several books on the subject. He is now known as one of the foremost experts in treating exotic animals and built a hospital where the surgeries are performed. Rich won't treat cats and dogs, but he has treated just about every other kind of animal.
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Craig Breslow is a Yale grad who is known as the smartest man in baseball. Having a degree in molecular biophysics and biochemistry will do that to you. When he was in the 6th grade, his sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and it has affected her life ever since.

So even though Craig is still an active player, he already has demonstrated the ability to make things happen. His Strike Three Foundation has raised almost two million dollars towards helping children stricken with cancer. During the off season he manages his non-profit and he plans for a bright future when his baseball career is over. His story is just beginning.

Comment

Barry Evans played pro tennis during the 1981 baseball strike.
            Johnny Kling was world pocket billiards champion.
            Ralph Terry was on the Senior PGA tour.
            Joe DiMaggio married two Hollywood actresses -- Dorothy Arnold and Marilyn Monroe. You may say that's not talent, but let's see you do that.

Comment

Gene Conley played in the NBA for six seasons.
              "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

After he retired, Robin Yount was involved with professional motorcycle and auto racing, two of his passions while with the Brewers.

Comment

Don Drysdale went on to become a successful television sports broadcaster from 1970-1993. He was also a radio show host in 1987. Branch Rickey scouted him when he was 18 and encouraged the Pirates to draft him. Rickey saw a way above average fast ball, an excellent curve, but his changeup needed some work. Drysdale was noted to be a nearly straight A student with "good breeding".

The list of television shows that Drysdale guested on is impressive: Leave It To Beaver, The Donna Reed Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Millionaire, The Flying Nun, You Bet Your Life, The Rifleman, To Tell The Truth, and The Brady Bunch.

Comment

Ted Simmons studied antiques apparently:

http://www.csmonitor.com/1981/0526/052638.html
                    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

I should have posted this article I saw today on mlb.com in the current events forum, because then I could reference it now and get this right. It was about the Royals and Orioles from their last World Series teams ('85 and '83 respectively) and what they are doing now. Anyway, I think one of the last guys mentioned from the champion Orioles of 1983 was reliever Tim Stoddard (who didn't pitch in the Series I guess), and the author said Stoddard was the only guy to hve both a World Series ring and an NCAA basketball championship. I think it said he was a starter for the North Carolina team one March in the earlier 1970s? It is in the article, and I am too lazy to go look for it again.

Anyway, about Tim Stoddard. The dude was a big man, real big guy, and after he left the Orioles sometime in the mid-1980s or so, fellow O's reliever Tippy Martinez (pretty sure it was him) was asked what it was going to be like without Stoddard. He replied that there would be a lot more food left over on the pre/post-game spread! Yeah, that would be more funny if I wasn't too lazy to go look up the quote in that little red book. Such is life.

Comment

I know I bring him up every time the subject comes up, but here's my favorite ex-player (current coach) musician, doing my favorite of his many good original songs:

Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

Also, pitcher Miguel Bautista wrote poetry (in Spanish, so I'm not qualified to judge how good it was, but I believe the response among literary critics was positive).
                          Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

Someone told me Babe Ruth was good at golf, anyone know anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
                              Someone told me Babe Ruth was good at golf, anyone know anything about that?
                              According to this, Cobb was better.
                              http://www.danholmes.com/sports/cobb...n-golf-course/

Pepper Martin was a midget car racer and would often show up for games covered in grease from working on his rides.

Christy Mathewson was considered to be an excellent checkers player (not chess). I guess it was more common back then for adults to play checkers.

Denny McClain played organ professionally and would often fly himself to shows.

Jeff Conine was the US Junior Racquetball champion in 1985 and had one of his shots clocked at 151mph.
                              http://articles.latimes.com/1985-06-..._1_jeff-conine
                              Last edited by Dude Paskert; 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM.
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                                According to this, Cobb was better.
                                http://www.danholmes.com/sports/cobb...n-golf-course/

Pepper Martin was a midget car racer and would often show up for games covered in grease from working on his rides.

Christy Mathewson was considered to be an excellent checkers player (not chess). I guess it was more common back then for adults to play checkers.

Denny McClain played organ professionally and would often fly himself to shows.
                                McClain had a regular gig in the Detroit area while he had a radio talk show.
                                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X