Player talents elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    McClain had a regular gig in the Detroit area while he had a radio talk show.
    In Bill Freehan's autobio, he discussed Denny flying off to organ gigs between starts during the season...this obviously caused a lot of friction with the Tigers. Denny always did things his own way...I think McClain playing for Ted Williams is one of the all time great mismatches in the dugout. Ted hated pitchers, expected people to listen to him, and demanded total dedication to baseball...Denny didn't listen to anybody and would not deign to focus narrowly on anything that got in the way of making a quick buck.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

I remember reading on a baseball card that Roger Clemens was drafted by the Seattle Supersonics. . .

so he must have been a good basketball player.
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Frank Frisch was a TREMENDOUS athlete at Fordham.
        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet, but Jackie Robinson was a stellar all around athlete at UCLA...he became the school's first 4 sport letterman (basketball, football, baseball, and track). Jackie also won the long jump in the 1940 NCAA national men's championships. Robinson became active in politics after his baseball days, although I don't believe he ever ran for office. Jackie actually tended to lean Republican and supported Dick Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller for various campaigns, although he couldn't tolerate Barry Goldwater and later ended up backing Democrat Hubert Humphrey.

Cap Anson and Babe Ruth both had vaudeville shows, although I'm not sure if they brought any real stage talents to that venue. I do know that part of Anson's act was to hit some sort of fake baseballs that the crowd would throw at him while his daughters sang...sounds like that could have been fun!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-vH8VpdQo
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
            I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet, but Jackie Robinson was a stellar all around athlete at UCLA...he became the school's first 4 sport letterman (basketball, football, baseball, and track
            Baseball was his worst sport in college.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Not necessarily a talent, but Gary Carter had an extensive baseball card collection.
              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Eddie Plank ran a garage/car dealership after his playing days had ended, although I am not sure how skilld he was at auto repair or sales.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Eddie Plank ran a garage/car dealership after his playing days had ended, although I am not sure how skilld he was at auto repair or sales.
                  In "The Head Game" Roger Kahn said that Johnny Sain knew a little about cars.

Comment

Mark Fidrych looked like Big Bird.
                    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Clem Labine designed men's athletic wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                        Tom Glavine was a real good ice hockey player.
                        Glavine was even drafted ahead of future Hockey Hall of Famers Luc Robitaille and Brett Hull, along with 10 other players who each appeared in at least 500 NHL games.

Future Angels and White Sox (and others?) pitcher Kirk McCaskill was also a hockey player. Played college puck at Vermont and even played a season with the Winnipeg Jets' AHL affiliate in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Johnny Pesky played hockey as well. I once heard a story about a friend of Tom Yawkey's watching a hockey game in Oregon and telling Yawkey about a really good player out there who looked a lot like his shortstop. But the friend said it couldn't have been him because the name on the jersey was Paveskovich. The next day Pesky received a telegram telling him to knock off the hockey bunk before he gets himself hurt for baseball season.

Former Yankees farmhands Brandon Weeden and Drew Henson allegedly were NFL quarterbacks. However I can find no evidence that anything they did on a football field would count as competent quarterbacking.
                        Last edited by EmergencyCatcher; 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM.
                        "Joba Chamberlain has a career ERA of one point seven bazillion against Cleveland. Most sentient bipeds either overtly or secretly revel in this fact." - Steve Buffum, The B-List, 6/1/2010

Good traders: bravesautographs, kearns643

Check out my autograph blog!

Comment

Originally posted by EmergencyCatcher View Post
                          Glavine was even drafted ahead of future Hockey Hall of Famers Luc Robitaille and Brett Hull, along with 10 other players who each appeared in at least 500 NHL games.

Future Angels and White Sox (and others?) pitcher Kirk McCaskill was also a hockey player. Played college puck at Vermont and even played a season with the Winnipeg Jets' AHL affiliate in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Johnny Pesky played hockey as well. I once heard a story about a friend of Tom Yawkey's watching a hockey game in Oregon and telling Yawkey about a really good player out there who looked a lot like his shortstop. But the friend said it couldn't have been him because the name on the jersey was Paveskovich. The next day Pesky received a telegram telling him to knock off the hockey bunk before he gets himself hurt for baseball season.

Former Yankees farmhands Brandon Weeden and Drew Henson allegedly were NFL quarterbacks. However I can find no evidence that anything they did on a football field would count as competent quarterbacking.
                          Weeden currently is the backup quarterback for the Cowboys.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Lee Maye, a good hitter but not-terribly-gifted outfielder for Milwaukee, recorded a duet with Barbara Lynn called "Careless Hands."
                            The ball once struck off,
                            Away flies the boy
                            To the next destin'd post,
                            And then home with joy.
                            --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Jophery Brown pitched in only 1 game. It was for the Cubs in 1968.

He was also an actor, playing the thirdbaseman in "The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings".
                              But the best talent he had was in stunts. He was a stunt coordinator, a stunt man, and even worked a few times as Morgan Freeman's stunt double.

Here he is in the film "The Relic":

Comment

Weeden currently is the backup quarterback for the Cowboys.
                                Yeah, he was also with my Browns for two years as an alleged "quarterback," in that he was only playing because there really was no other option. If he thought that football was a better option, it just makes one wonder how bad a baseball player he must have been.
                                "Joba Chamberlain has a career ERA of one point seven bazillion against Cleveland. Most sentient bipeds either overtly or secretly revel in this fact." - Steve Buffum, The B-List, 6/1/2010

Good traders: bravesautographs, kearns643

Check out my autograph blog!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X