Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Player is Baseball's New Role Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Player is Baseball's New Role Model?

BASEBALL_TRIVIA_NUT

Now that Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn have retired, there
    is a need to identify the one or two current major league
    players you feel should be the new role model(s) for major
    league baseball.

Who is your choice for that very demanding role and
    why is he your choice? Or, if you there are two you
    would like to choose, identify them and the reasons for
    for your choices.

Have at it!!!
    BASEBALL_TRIVIA_NUT

RE: Which Player is Baseball's New Role Model?

Sammy Sosa, for his effervescent love of the game, and his patriotism toward his adopted country last season, (post 9/11).

Comment

Mike Mussina and Shawn Green. Both are workhorses that carry themselves with a great amount of dignity both on and off the field. I've never heard of either of them refusing to sign an autograph either.

Comment

Luis Gonzalez.

He's baseball's current Ironman and has a personality that would play well with the media. He's not playing as well as he did in 2001, but he'll get stronger and more consistent as the season progresses.

Comment

All of these guys are great role models. Of course I'm partial to Sammy.
          Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

I'd also have to add Vlad to this list. He doesn't try to garner a lot of press for himself. He doesn't complain about his teammates or the lack of fan support. He just keeps his mouth shut and plays the game with the quiet dignity and grace of a true superstar, while at the same time never shutting out the fans. Assuming he stays healthy, he will have compiled a Hall of Fame career while flying under the media radar. Another class act and a definite role model.

Comment

...yes and no.

As much as I am a fan of Vlads. He is still young and a little shy/reclusive with the fans. He will get better as he grows up. Right now I would go with Sammy. Aside from his money squabble a couple of years ago he has been a pretty class act.

Comment

Curt Schilling. He was a great influence on Randy Johnson, as well as a great leader. This is a guy when, asked what MLB could do to improve itself after the last World Series, answered bluntly, "Get a new commissioner."

Pitchers have more time to be role models, anyway.
                I'm NickG, and I approve this message.

Home page

"In God we trust, all else must have data."
                -- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson

Comment

A few years later...

How things change after a few years. Luis Gonzalez? Sammy Sosa? Shawn Green? Wow.

Well, in 2005, I would go with Albert Pujols - for the things that he does on and off the field. He's super committed to that down syndrome thing.

(Yes ... I am really bored this sunday afternoon)

Comment

Originally posted by Brannu
                    How things change after a few years. Luis Gonzalez? Sammy Sosa? Shawn Green? Wow.

Well, in 2005, I would go with Albert Pujols - for the things that he does on and off the field. He's super committed to that down syndrome thing.

(Yes ... I am really bored this sunday afternoon)
                    I second Pujols. I can't think of anyone else that comes close, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                      I'd also have to add Vlad to this list. He doesn't try to garner a lot of press for himself. He doesn't complain about his teammates or the lack of fan support. He just keeps his mouth shut and plays the game with the quiet dignity and grace of a true superstar, while at the same time never shutting out the fans. Assuming he stays healthy, he will have compiled a Hall of Fame career while flying under the media radar. Another class act and a definite role model.
                      I think Vlad should be one. No doubt about it.

Originally posted by NickG
                      Curt Schilling. He was a great influence on Randy Johnson, as well as a great leader. This is a guy when, asked what MLB could do to improve itself after the last World Series, answered bluntly, "Get a new commissioner."
                      But Curt Shilling? Eventhough he is/was a good pitcher, I think his big mouth will rule him out as a role model.

I would like to add Jeter. As far as I know he is never complaining. Always gives his best.

Comment

nba model marketing

Sorry people but I can't agree with Sammy Sosa or Albert Pujols -- tell me either got that big without juicing.

If baseball wants to play the NBA game and build its brand around particular players (which I think is a great idea) then I think they should seriously consider the following players:

Derek Jeter, anchor of 4 WS champs, great character guy;

Dontrelle Willis, you've got to love this guy he's only 23, he's the best pitcher in the game and he can hit the cover off the ball;

Grady Sizemore, CF for Cleveland, 23, should definitely be one of baseball's new role models. Take a look at his stats last year -- in what was ostensibly he rookie season and then take a look at him and it is clear he's not juicing;

Chipper Jones, anchor of Braves during their division title run and clearly not a juicer. He'd fall more into the veteran, future Hall of Famer category;

That gives us Jeter from the north, Sizemore from the midwest, Willis and Jones from the south, so we need one from the west.

I'd pick either second-year Diamondback's first baseman Chad Tracy or Rockies' first baseman Todd Helton -- although with Helton you run the risk of hyping a player from the juiced era.

It would help if the Dodgers could manage to develop a few decent prospects.
                        “I see great things in baseball.”
                        Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by baseball junkie
                          Sorry people but I can't agree with Sammy Sosa or Albert Pujols -- tell me either got that big without juicing.

If baseball wants to play the NBA game and build its brand around particular players (which I think is a great idea) then I think they should seriously consider the following players:

Derek Jeter, anchor of 4 WS champs, great character guy;

Dontrelle Willis, you've got to love this guy he's only 23, he's the best pitcher in the game and he can hit the cover off the ball;

Grady Sizemore, CF for Cleveland, 23, should definitely be one of baseball's new role models. Take a look at his stats last year -- in what was ostensibly he rookie season and then take a look at him and it is clear he's not juicing;

Chipper Jones, anchor of Braves during their division title run and clearly not a juicer. He'd fall more into the veteran, future Hall of Famer category;

That gives us Jeter from the north, Sizemore from the midwest, Willis and Jones from the south, so we need one from the west.

I'd pick either second-year Diamondback's first baseman Chad Tracy or Rockies' first baseman Todd Helton -- although with Helton you run the risk of hyping a player from the juiced era.

It would help if the Dodgers could manage to develop a few decent prospects.

If you want to cover the west ... you do have Ichiro in the Northwest. Rich Harden?

Anyway ... let me remind those who didn't notice ... this thread was originally posted in april of 2002.

Comment

I agree with Vlad and Pujols. I admire hispanic players for their hard work from often 3rd world roots to get recognized in the big leauges.

Comment

How could I forget Ichiro???

Ah, Ichiro is an excellent idea! He totally slipped my mind. MLB seriously needs to market him more. He's the closest player we have to a Ty Cobb or a Tris Speaker or a Tony Gwynn playing today.
                              “I see great things in baseball.”
                              Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X