Game: Who wears the number best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game: Who wears the number best?

It's a game I'd seen on another board involving retired players under their "History" section.

Let's start with #1 for current players. Although an unusual number, please state the best position players or pitchers wearing that number and we'll discuss for a day or two who the best player was. Then we move onto #2, etc.

I'm not familiar with who exactly wears #1, so can someone fill me in? Who are the best current players wearing this?

Thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I don't know about the best ones, but Rafael Furcal (Braves SS) wears #1.
    "I know One Thing, That I Know Nothing" - - - Socrates

Comment

I know he's not the best, but #1 for the Indians is worn by Casey Blake, RF.
      CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

I'm bored this morning, so I looked them all up.

#1s
        LAA Bengie Molina, C
        HOU Willie Taveras, OF
        OAK ---
        TOR Orlando Hudson, 2B
        ATL Rafael Furcal, SS
        MIL Corey Hart, OF
        STL ---
        CHC Jose Macias, 3B
        TB Joey Gathright, OF
        ARI ---
        LAD ---
        SF ---
        CLE Casey Blake, OF
        SEA ---
        FLA Luis Castillo, 2B
        NYM ---
        WAS ---
        BAL Brian Roberts, 2B
        SD ---
        PHI ---
        PIT --- (but Rick White wears #00. He wins that number. )
        TEX ---
        BOS ---
        CIN ---
        COL ---
        KC Denny Hocking, SS
        DET ---
        MIN ---
        CHW ---
        NYY ---

Excellent thread idea, Mattingly.

I say the best would be Brian Roberts.

Comment

I'd venture to say that Ugueth Urbina is a lock for #74.

The Dodgers don't have a player wearing #1.

The Angels #1 is Bengie Molina. He is a multiple Gold Glover. Would that give him the advantage over Furcal?

Other numbers where I would favor certain players:

2. Derek Jeter (he loses out to Tommy Lasorda for historic wearing of the number though)
          3. Eric Chavez
          5. Albert Pujols (tough loss for Jeff Bagwell and Hee Seop Choi)
          13. Alex Rodriguez (closest competitor is Billy Wagner)
          17. Lance Berkman
          22. Roger Clemens (even though he wore 21 for most of his career)
          25. Barry Bonds (beats out Palmeiro, DLee, A. Jones, among others)
          27. Vladimir Guerrero
          31. Greg Maddux
          42. Mariano Rivera (isn't he the only one still wearing it?)
          45. Pedro Martinez
          57. Johan Santana (close choice over Francisco Rodriguez)

I'm not even going to try on the historically tough numbers like 32, 33, 34, 44.

One number I might not expect to be tough that is, is #10. I can think of Miguel Tejada, Chipper Jones, and Gary Sheffield all wearing this powerhouse number. 3 future HOFers, who do you choose?

Comment

Roberts is having a good year, but I think Molina may be having a better season - he's a decent catcher and the Angels are doing much better than the Orioles. If the O's had kept up their winning ways of the first half of the season, Roberts might be more of a contender.

As for players from the past - the Red Sox have retired #1 - Bobby Doerr. I'm guessing that at least some of the older teams have retired #1 as well, but I can't think of any right off hand.

Comment

jose macias!

Comment

Originally posted by BoofBonser26
                I'm bored this morning, so I looked them all up.
                How do you look up player numbers? If you have a link, please provide. That would certainly be more helpful.
                Excellent thread idea, Mattingly.
                I'd thought of it about 3 weeks ago, but had no idea, other than Bobby Doer and Billy Martin, who wore #1. I figured since I was posting a few threads, what the hey?
                I say the best would be Brian Roberts.
                Good choice. Let's see how people here feel about it.

You do, of course realize that I'm waiting to see how well one certain player does when we get to #2, don't ya? :gt
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

For #1 I will go with Benji Molina over Furcal

Molina is highly underrated as a quick thinking, good game calling defensive Catcher, and he has some pop in his bat

Comment

If this were pre-all star break, I would say hands down that Brian Roberts was the #1-wearing MVP. But since he's gone in the tank since then, I would have to give it to Bengie Molina.
                    "Having Willie Stargell on your ball club is like having a diamond ring on your finger." - Chuck Tanner

Comment

Originally posted by flash143817
                      42. Mariano Rivera (isn't he the only one still wearing it?)
                      Ever since the Mets' Mo Vaughn retired, Mariano Rivera is the only current MLB player still wearing this, after it was officially retired around 1997. Mo was grandfathered in, since he'd already worn this.
                      One number I might not expect to be tough that is, is #10. I can think of Miguel Tejada, Chipper Jones, and Gary Sheffield all wearing this powerhouse number. 3 future HOFers, who do you choose?
                      Gary Sheffield wears #11, like his uncle, Doc Gooden. #10 for the Yanks is retired: Phil "Scooter" Rizzuto.

Comment

Originally posted by CyNotSoYoung

As for players from the past - the Red Sox have retired #1 - Bobby Doerr. I'm guessing that at least some of the older teams have retired #1 as well, but I can't think of any right off hand.
                        Ozzie Smith was #1. I believe Billy Martin wore #1 w/ the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          How do you look up player numbers? If you have a link, please provide. That would certainly be more helpful.
                          When I say I was bored, I mean I was bored. I went to every team's official MLB.com page and looked at the "Active Roster" section. About halfway through I thought, "There has to be an easier way", but couldn't find one despite many googlings of various baseball sites.

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          You do, of course realize that I'm waiting to see how well one certain player does when we get to #2, don't ya?
                          Of course. The high-average, power-hitting, slick-fielding shortstop who wears #2.

Jhonny Peralta.

Oh-wait.

Well, I'll take JP anyway. :gt

Comment

#75, Barry Zito... Who Else?
                            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

FYI = Retired numbers by team at the bottom of this page:
                              http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...es/numbers.htm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X