Your Top 10 Players today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top 10 Players today.

I'd like to see who the house members think are the top players today. Blend peak/longevity and do the most sensible composites you know how to. Consider all things; offense, defense, running, clubhouse morale, intangibles, whatever, etc.

1-Albert Pujols
    2-Alex Rodriguez
    3-Ichiro Suzuki
    4-Barry Bonds*
    5-Vladimir Guerrero
    6-Manny Ramirez
    7-David Ortiz
    8-Mark Texiera
    9-Todd Helton
    10-Gary Sheffield*

Comment

Wow! That was FAST. Some kind of record! Thanks. Good job.

Comment

1. Alex Rodriguez
        2. Vlad Guererro
        3. Albert Pujols
        4. Miguel Cabrera
        5. Manny Ramirez
        6. Bobby Abreu
        7. Mark Teixeira
        8. Mguel Tejada
        9. Jason Bay
        10. Derrek Lee
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

1.Barry Bonds
          2.Albert Pujols
          3.Vladimir Guerrero
          4.Alex Rodriguez
          5.Gary Sheffield
          6.Brian Giles
          7.Derrek Lee
          8.Manny Ramirez
          9.Jason Bay
          10.Morgan Ensberg

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
            1. Alex Rodriguez
            2. Vlad Guererro
            3. Albert Pujols
            4. Miguel Cabrera
            5. Manny Ramirez
            6. Bobby Abreu
            7. Mark Teixeira
            8. Mguel Tejada
            9. Jason Bay
            10. Derrek Lee
            Whoa! No Barry Bonds? That is crazy. I thought you were a fellow Bonds supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
              Whoa! No Barry Bonds? That is crazy. I thought you were a fellow Bonds supporter.
              I'm a huge Bonds supporter but I I left him off my list for two reasons:

1) I interpreted the question to mean to who is the best now and going forward. I placed a heavy emphasis age on the next few seasons. I just don't know how much Bonds has left in the tank? He missed his age 41 season. Though he hit well, as I expected, he now has a bum knee. Bonds will be 42 next season .There is the chance that the Bonds of 2001-04 will never return. Asking him to produce at age 42 what he did in his mid to late 30s is asking a lot. Basically, I asked myself a question. "What player would I want TODAY?". Given Bond's age and health, would you take Bonds as he is TODAY? Over Pujols? Teixeira? Cabrera? I just don't know what Bonds has left as a player?

2) I placed a heavey emphasis on up and coming players. As awesome as Bonds has been, I have no doubt that players like Teixiera and Pujols will be better players than Bonds in 2006-08. I do have Clemens but he is still healthy and there has not been a drop in his performance due to age. Plus there is historical precedence for old pitchers to pitch well (Spahn, Niekro, Ryan, Cy Young, etc.)

So I hope those sound like good reasons. I am a HUGE Bonds supporter!!
              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-30-2005, 05:33 PM.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                I'm a huge Bonds supporter but I I left him off my list for two reasons:

1) I interpreted the question to mean to who is the best now and going forward. I placed a heavy emphasis age on the next few seasons. I just don't know how much Bonds has left in the tank? He missed his age 41 season. Though he hit well, as I expected, he now has a bum knee. Bonds will be 42 next season .There is the chance that the Bonds of 2001-04 will never return. Asking him to produce at age 42 what he did in his mid to late 30s is asking a lot. Basically, I asked myself a question. "What player would I want TODAY?". Given Bond's age and health, would you take Bonds as he is TODAY? Over Pujols? Teixeira? Cabrera? I just don't know what Bonds has left as a player?

2) I placed a heavey emphasis on up and coming players. As awesome as Bonds has been, I have no doubt that players like Teixiera and Pujols will be better players than Bonds in 2006-08. I do have Clemens but he is still healthy and there has not been a drop in his performance due to age. Plujs there is historical precednce for old pitchers to pitch well (Spahn, Niekro, Ryan, Cy Young, etc.)

So I hope those sound like good reasons. I am a HUGE Bonds supporter!!
                Those are good reasons based on your criteria, but I don't think that's what Bill had in mind when he started this thread. I interpreted this as meaning, "Who's the best as of this moment?" Based on that criteria, Bonds is unquestionably the #1 player.

Bill, could you please clear up what exactly you meant here?

Comment

I did intend to mean, who are your greatest 10 players today. How anyone can leave out Barry is beyond my wildest comprehension. He does have a bum knee, and is still the greatest force in the game. But that's just my perception.

And I do want to leave you guys open to exercise your own judgment. But now my mouth is hanging open in shock. Don't make me regret trusting you!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                    I did intend to mean, who are your greatest 10 players today. How anyone can leave out Barry is beyond my wildest comprehension. He does have a bum knee, and is still the greatest force in the game. But that's just my perception.

And I do want to leave you guys open to exercise your own judgment. But now my mouth is hanging open in shock. Don't make me regret trusting you!

Bill
                    Bond was the greatest force in the game year in and year from 1990-2004. But, Bill, Bonds has just 42 ABs in 2005. How can we say for sure he is still the best if he's only had 42 ABs? He still may be. We just don't know. You know full well that even the greatest hitters lose it around 40-42 years of age. Right now, Bonds simply cannot run and he can barely play the field. His knee will need some serious healing over the offseason. However if he comes out like gang busters in 2006 then I will gladly put him on my list.
                    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-30-2005, 05:35 PM.

Comment

1. Alex Rodriguez
                      2. Albert Pujols
                      3. Vlad Guerrero
                      4. Barry Bonds
                      5. Bobby Abreau
                      6. Miguel Cabrera
                      7. Manny Ramirez
                      8. Miguel Tejada
                      9. Mark Teixeira
                      10. David Ortiz
                      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

My 10 Best Current All-Around Players:

1. Barry Bonds
                        2. Alexander Rodriguez
                        3. Ivan Rodriguez
                        4. Ichiro Suzuki
                        5. Ken Griffey, Jr.
                        6. Albert Pujols
                        7. Vladimir Guerrero
                        8. Carlos Beltran
                        9. Jim Edmonds
                        10. Manny Ramirez

Honorable Mentions:
                        Tori Hunter, Todd Helton, Larry Walker, Alfonso Soriano, Eric Chavez, Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Tejada, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Carlos Delgado, Omar Vizquel.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-30-2005, 08:27 PM.

Comment

1. Alex Rodriguez
                          2. Barry Bonds*
                          3. Albert Pujols
                          4. Ichiro Suzuki
                          5. Vladimir Guerrero
                          6. Ivan Rodriguez
                          7. Manny Ramirez
                          8. Miguel Tejada
                          9. David Ortiz
                          10. Bobby Abreu

Comment

Albert Pujols
                            Lance Berkman
                            Alex Rodriguez
                            Vladimir Guerrero
                            Manny Ramirez
                            Carlos Delgado
                            Miguel Cabrera
                            Andruw Jones
                            Jim Edmonds
                            Barry Bonds

Comment

Four of you left off David Ortiz. Whose timely hits have won more games for his team this year than Big Papi? I don't buy the argument that he can't be considered for the MVP or a Top Ten list. When it counted during the 2004 WS his quick throw to 3B caught a key St. Louis baserunner. His intangibles, the fact he is the one guy I want up for me in the 9th inning of a tie game, plus his 147 RBI's should put him on the list over Manny and others.
                              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X