No announcement yet.

Your Top 10 Players today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--Wouldn't this thread be better suited for current events?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK
      Four of you left off David Ortiz. Whose timely hits have won more games for his team this year than Big Papi? I don't buy the argument that he can't be considered for the MVP or a Top Ten list. When it counted during the 2004 WS his quick throw to 3B caught a key St. Louis baserunner. His intangibles, the fact he is the one guy I want up for me in the 9th inning of a tie game, plus his 147 RBI's should put him on the list over Manny and others.
      Timely? I think any hit in any game that scores runs is timely. Derrek Lee has had plenty of "timely" hits, Andruw Jones has had plenty of "timely" hits this year.

Comment

Plenty = How Many?

How many game winners?
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

making history as we speak

This is a great thread and in the appropriate place, as this is where history is made, with the affection or approbrium of your contemporaries. Opinions do matter in the greater scheme of things. OK, for the here and now and maybe next year, who would I want, right now, for my team next year?

1. Barely Coherent Bonds- the epitome of "jerked another out of the playing field", in every sense of the word.
          2. A-Rod- day in, day out, the gold standard.
          3. Pujols the Repeater- 590 AB, .330/40/120, five years and running. Plus, he's learning... kind of like those bloody velociraptors...
          4. Vlad the Impaler- pedal to the metal, great nickname, fun to watch just walking around the ballpark.
          5. Big Papi- Mr. Clutch, why does anyone pitch to this guy?
          6. The Big Unit- still, in his 40s, the Scary Thing in the Closet.
          7. Teixera of Texas- he can pound it, for the long haul.
          8. Johan the Waltzing Santana- man can that guy pitch.
          9. The D-Train- he throws, he hits, he wears his cap silly, he all fun.
          10. Mike Sweeney- who else could do what he has, in KC, the never-ever land for baseball?

HM Clemens for the grit, Rivera for the incandescence, Manny Being Manny for the unpredictability, Jeter for being Mr. Baseball, Cabrera but lose the attitude, Rich Harden and Harder, Jeff Kent the Rent-a-Stud, Ichiro for Grace Under Pressure, Andruw for the spelling of his name and everything else he does with aplomb, HeltonBerkman (the same guy, I'm almost convinced), and The Full Miggy, 'cause you get all of him, every night.

Apologies if I missed some obviousities in this quickie, these are just guys I always follow in the boxes.

And no, no Sheffield. Remember Rain Man? Well, Sheffield is more like a jerk savant (yeah, so's Barry, but he's way better than Can't Field Sheffield).

Comment

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I had intended to mean, Your Top 10 All-Around Position Players. No pitchers. I have another thread for them.

Sorry for my inprecision. My fault. Error on Burgess, again. For the 100th time.

Bill Burgess

Comment

1. Barry Bonds
              2. Alex Rodriguez
              3. Albert Pujols
              4. Vlad GUerrero
              5. Manny Ramirez
              6. Todd Helton
              7. David Ortiz
              8. Bobby Abreu
              9. Gary Sheffield
              10. Mark Texeira
              JUST missed the top 10: Michael Young, Miguel Tejada, Derek Jeter, Carlos Beltran, Derrek Lee, Miguel Cabrerea, Jason Giambi, Brian Giles, Andruw Jones
              Last edited by ; 10-01-2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

oops

See what I get for hurrying. Take out the pitchers, sub Tejada, Jeter, and HeltonBerkman. Still no Sheffield.

How 'bout a thread of "10 guys I'd most like to see on the other team, if my pitching staff was Don Newcombe, Gaylord Perry, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Sal Maglie, and three other He Hate Me pitchers of your choice". It begets the question, if you hit ten guys in a row, are the runs earned?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK
                  Plenty = How Many?

How many game winners?

How many games have each of them had more RBI's then the opposition? Just scanning the games I see plenty.

Comment

1. Barry Bonds
                    2. Albert Pujols
                    3. Alex Rodriguez
                    4. Vlad Guerrero
                    5. Manny Ramirez
                    6. David Ortiz
                    7. Miguel Cabrera
                    8. Bobby Abreu
                    9. Gary Sheffield
                    10. Andruw Jones
                    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                      --Wouldn't this thread be better suited for current events?
                      Mark,

Excuse me if I am remembering this wrong, but weren't you the person who told me, when I suggested certain discussions were better conducted in the stat dept., "to relax, take it easy, and go with the flow"? I kind of remember it may have been you, but I'm sorry if I'm mistaken.

But even if I am mistaken, "relax, take it easy, try going with the flow." You might even have some fun.

Bill

Comment

Alex Rodriguez
                        Albert Pujols
                        Vladimir Guerrero
                        Derek Jeter
                        Miguel Tejada
                        Andrew Jones
                        Derrik Lee
                        David Ortiz
                        Ichiro
                        Gary Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                          How many games have each of them had more RBI's then the opposition? Just scanning the games I see plenty.
                          Sorry, but I'll take my man with his 88 HR's and 286 RBI's over the last two seasons plus his production in the playoffs over the guy with the .262 average, or the guy who didn't even lead his team to the playoffs. If Ortiz isn't worthy of making this top 10 list, then the ten guys better than him must have more than the 20+ game winners he has this year. You guys are overlooking someone who not only produces, but does it when the big game is on the line, and not just against the KC's or Tampa Bays like some of these guys. He will end up in the top three for AL MVP and could even win the award.
                          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

So to win the game was he sitting on the bench and inserted as a pinch hitter? No he was in the lineup and lucky enough to come up to bat often enough with the game on the line. Like I said earlier you can win the game in the third inning just as easy as you can in the 9th.
                            Last edited by Ubiquitous; 10-02-2005, 07:15 PM.

Comment

In no particular order.

1:Vlad Guerrero
                              2:A-Rod
                              3:Miguel Tejada
                              4: David Ortiz
                              5:Albert Pujols
                              6:Mike Tiexera
                              7:Gary Sheffield*
                              8: Dontrell Willis
                              9:Manny Ramirez
                              10:Johan Santana
                              SOCK IT TO 'EM TIGERS

Comment

Originally posted by Say Hey
                                In no particular order.

1:Vlad Guerrero
                                2:A-Rod
                                3:Miguel Tejada
                                4: David Ortiz
                                5:Albert Pujols
                                6:Mike Tiexera
                                7:Gary Sheffield*
                                8: Dontrell Willis
                                9:Manny Ramirez
                                10:Johan Santana
                                Not bad, but I think Bill wanted only position players on this thread, no pitchers.

Anyway, I think that is a decent list, I'd move Ortiz way down because he doesn't play the field. You also have Tejada higher than he deserves, because even for a SS his offense doesn't match up to other top echelon players. Jason Bay and Brian Giles should edge onto the list to make up for the pitchers and Ortiz.

Also, why do you have an asterisk next to Sheffield's name?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X