6:Mike Tiexera
    7:Gary Sheffield*
    8: Dontrell Willis
    9:Manny Ramirez
    10:Johan Santana
    ortiz over pujols?

explain yourself, this should be good

Comment

Most of you may not have noticed it yet, but Webmaster Sean has installed a new format for us here. In the upper right hand corner, is a checkmark. That is our new spell checker. Finally at last. And do we all need it, too!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
        Most of you may not have noticed it yet, but Webmaster Sean has installed a new format for us here. In the upper right hand corner, is a checkmark. That is our new spell checker. Finally at last. And do we all need it, too!

Bill
        I thought this looked a little differently when I came back!
        Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
        I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
          ortiz over pujols?

explain yourself, this should be good
          I wasn't putting them in order of how good I think they are, I just listed who I think are the top 10 best players today. I just had the numbers so I wouldn't have to go back and count. I agree that Pujols is better than Ortiz.
          SOCK IT TO 'EM TIGERS

Comment

top ten

1. Derrek Lee
            2. Nomar Garciapara
            2007 World Series Prediction Chicago Cubs Win against Detroit Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by ArealBASEBALLfan
              1. Derrek Lee
              2. Nomar Garciapara
              Its like someone up and kidnapped you during your list production. You alright, should someone call the coppers? Or perhaps putting Nomar #2 shook you up a bit j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                Its like someone up and kidnapped you during your list production. You alright, should someone call the coppers? Or perhaps putting Nomar #2 shook you up a bit j/k
                With ya' 100%. This is amazing.
                Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                I hope that's all.

Comment

Ichiro
                  ARod
                  Jeter
                  Ortiz
                  Pujols
                  Vlad
                  Tejada
                  Andruw
                  D. Lee
                  M. Cabrera

Comment

1. Pujols
                    2. A-Rod
                    3. Miggy Tejada
                    4. Papi
                    5. Big Tex
                    6. Bobby Abreau
                    7. Manny
                    8. Vlad
                    9. Michael Young (VERY underrated)
                    10. Miguel Cabrera (Even though he reminds me of Joe Charboneau)

There are some obvious ones that I left out...let me explain.

Bonds- He's an a$$hole. He was an a$$hole in Pittsburgh and he's an a$$hole in SF. It's undeniable that his career stats are tremendous. When he actually is healthy, he is still a player that changes the whole game everytime he steps to the plate. The biggest problem I have is that he was hurt all year. If he makes the list, who's to say that Juan Gone and Scott Rolen shouldn't make the list. They were dominant before they were hurt too. Bottom Line, if you're hurt, you're no good to me as a player. Not to mention the fact that Bonds is a cancer in the clubhouse with his demands and egocentrism.

Helton- Would have been about #4 before this year...but what happened?? Barmes and Atkins can get on base, Holliday has come into his own, and Helton's skills run for cover? This should have been a 140-rbi season for the Helton of 2001-2004. I'm not writing him off or anything...he's still a great player, but his disappearance from the stat leaderboards makes me wonder if all is well in the thin air of Coors Field.

Sheffield- I'll be honest...he should be on the top 10, but you get my biases with my list. He's got an ego bigger than the Bronx Zoo. When he said that he was the leader of that Yankee team instead of Rivera, A-Rod, or Jeter...I thought two things:1. He's right...that guy can hit!!
                    2. You don't say that...if you are that good, which he is, you let people notice your achievements and give you praise.

Lee- I understand why everyone is so Derek Lee crazy...but let's not forget that this year, as great as it was, is Lee's 11th in the big leagues. He's had, including this year, 4 seasons of decent numbers in 11 years. That's not dominant, it's sketchy. Where have you been since the Padres took you in 1994? You weren't 18 b/c you went to college...so you shouldn't have had to mature. He had a great year, but I think it may be a career year, and a bright flash in the pan.

Bay, Utley, Sizemore, Ensberg, and Hafner- Would make this list if they show they can put up the consistant stats for a couple more years. I'm just hesitant about putting up a bunch of one-hit-wonders oin the list.

Soriano, Sexson, Andruw, Konerko, Carlos Lee, Troy Glaus, Adam Dunn- Love the power and RBI's, but hate your low average.

Comment

Derrek Lee may have been drafted in 1994, but he didn't play in the big leagues until 1997, making this his ninth year, not his eleventh, and only his seventh year playing over 100 games. Also, his 4 seasons of decent numbers (depends what you call decent, I count 5 before this year of 20+ homers .270+ BA, not top 10 stuff, but decent in my opinion), came this year and the three years preceeding this year. This is his third consecutive 30 homer year, and considering all of his other skills (almost 17 SBs a year since 2002 from a 1B, and Gold Glove calibur defense), he is definitely an elite player in my eyes (which admittedly do have a bit of blue tint to them).

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK
                        Sorry, but I'll take my man with his 88 HR's and 286 RBI's over the last two seasons plus his production in the playoffs over the guy with the .262 average, or the guy who didn't even lead his team to the playoffs. If Ortiz isn't worthy of making this top 10 list, then the ten guys better than him must have more than the 20+ game winners he has this year. You guys are overlooking someone who not only produces, but does it when the big game is on the line, and not just against the KC's or Tampa Bays like some of these guys. He will end up in the top three for AL MVP and could even win the award.
                        In my opinion "game winning hits" are WAY over-rated. The way I see it is like this:

If they would have done something during the 8 previous innings, there would be no need to come from behind and win the game. I know it is a generic way of looking at things, but it is hard to put someone on a "top 10 players today" list based on his 20+ game winners.

ESPECIALLY since he can not play defense well enough to earn a every day position on the field.

With that said, when there is a "top 10 players in the clutch" list... I would have him at #1..

#2..

and #3..

BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
                          In my opinion "game winning hits" are WAY over-rated. The way I see it is like this:

If they would have done something during the 8 previous innings, there would be no need to come from behind and win the game. I know it is a generic way of looking at things, but it is hard to put someone on a "top 10 players today" list based on his 20+ game winners.

ESPECIALLY since he can not play defense well enough to earn a every day position on the field.

With that said, when there is a "top 10 players in the clutch" list... I would have him at #1..

#2..

and #3..

manny ramirez is more clutch than david ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
                            manny ramirez is more clutch than david ortiz
                            Well, I think it is safe to say they would be 1-2 on current clutch hitters...

IMO anyways.
                            BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
                              Well, I think it is safe to say they would be 1-2 on current clutch hitters...

IMO anyways.
                              what about Bonds?

Comment

1. Alex Rodriguez
                                2. Albert Pujols
                                3. Barry Bonds
                                4. Vladimir Guerrero
                                5. Manny Ramirez
                                6. Miguel Tejada
                                7. Chipper Jones
                                8. David Ortiz
                                9. Michael Young