No announcement yet.

Question: most disappointing player ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well - about 90% of the guys sparky anderson hyped as the next coming of god

but in baltimore we gave pete harnish, steve finley and that red sox pitcher with the bloody foot for glenn davis and davis immediately went into the crapper

then, a little later we signed albert belle

Comment

Brien Taylor, anyone?
      sigpic
      Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

Bo Jackson

Some through no fault of their own, and I'd wager they are far more disappointed than any fan can imagine.

'94 ROY Bob Hamelin looked to be the next big thing at 1B or DH, but especially with the stick. $3million a year ghost.

'95 ROY Marty Cordova, OF/DH same deal. One good season, a couple decent ones, then ?

Mitch "pitch like my hair is on fire" Williams. When he went to the Phills from my Cubs, I thought Oh Great! He'll probably win the WS final game, now.

Of course, poor Ernie Broglio couldn't have known he was damaged goods, could he?
        Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Alex Sung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Say it ain't Sosa!

Originally posted by steveox
            Sammy Sosa when he came to baltimore.
            Whoa! I was bedy, bedy disappointed in him before that. His cork incident I could forgive because all his other bats tested clean. I still believe he wouldn't put any unnatural illegal substance in his body so I can overlook that his physique seems, um, er, altered? His hissy fit when he boogied out of Wrigley before the last game really tore it with me, and then looking at his declining numbers, I really feel for the good folks in Baltimore. I even have a like new cap and jersey with the Orange and Black bird that I didn't get much of a chance to wear after the all-star break.
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Snuffy Stirnweiss : 205 hits his 1st full season (.319) & 55 steals
              Had an equally good follow-up year.
              Then was never as good.
              Didn't even get to bat in his final "year."

Comment

Sam Jethroe - even though he was in his 30s by the time the National League took him and most of his best years were spent in the NLs, I'm sure people thought he would last longer than only 3 full MLB years.

Comment

Steve Ontiveros
                  Joe Magrane
                  Randy Jones
                  Mario Soto

Comment

I'll go with the tag team of Doc and Straw. Both were special, so special they let talent beat thier demons for some brilliant baseball but in the end two guys who were on the HOF fasttrack became sideshows

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza
                      Snuffy Stirnweiss : 205 hits his 1st full season (.319) & 55 steals
                      Had an equally good follow-up year.
                      Then was never as good.
                      Didn't even get to bat in his final "year."
                      Good one - he had 26 black ink points, all in those two years! (Granted they were WWII years). Died in a train wreck at age 39 when a Jersey commuter train plunged into the Newark Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                        I think the easy answer here is Pete Reiser, who was supposed to be better than Joe DiMaggio.

Other choices:

Joe Wood (arguably the best pitcher ever through age 22)
                        Russ Ford (late start, then was brilliant for his first two seasons before dissappearing)
                        Bill Lange (a lot of people said that he was the best player they ever saw; had to leave the game when he got married and his new father in law said he couldn't play baseball any more)
                        You can't count Reiser, Ford, and Wood as guys like Charboneau and Nokes. That's just not fair. Hell, Ford invented the emery ball, and he was a great pitcher for several years until the AL banned emery balls in 1915 (not 1920 like spitters and shiners). THAT ended his career.

Smokey Joe and Pistol Pete were done in by injuries. I thought this thread was for guys that just couldn't continue to cut it.

How about George Watkins? Hit .373 as a rookie- lasted another five years or so, only once topping .300, or Clint Hartung- the "Hondo Hurricane"- so good Casey Stengel thought he should go straight to Cooperstown instead of wasting his time playing. "They said he could field like Dick Sisler and hit like Johnny Mize; it turned out he fielded like Dick Stuart and hit like Casey Wise."- tell me that's not the best quote ever! (note- he spent most of his short ML career pitching badly although he was supposed to be the next Ruth)

Charlie Kerfeld, Kevin Maas, man this coud go on forever.
                        "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Vince Coleman!

Marv Throneberry - 1.500 SLG in 1955

Sam Horn - this guy was up an down everywhere

I don't Fred Lynn has been mentioned yet, which scares me.

Comment

If you just want to take "ratio of first season production to the rest of his career," you have to go with Shane Spencer.
                            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

What happened to Vean Gregg?

Comment

David Clyde promoted straight to the Big Leagues from High School (only to be rocked by major league pitching) by a greedy owner hoping to draw fans. Ruined one of the best pitching prospects ever.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X