Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many baseball town are there...really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected]
    If the Patriots are considered in Boston, I would think that Boston is a football town. Off the top of my head I can only think of one place where baseball is big and #1, New York City
    While I agree that NYC is a baseball town, I don't think it meets eddies' criteria of "local baseball team is #1 and everything else does not come close"

Baseball is primary in NY, but football is a close second.

Comment

Once the Detroit Tigers starts winning, we'll be a baseball town again. We we're Hockeytown, but the lockout hurt that. I would say that from what I can see, Detroit is a basketball town for the time being. So many football fans have just been turned off in the last few years (Thanks Matt Millen) so I don't think you can call Detroit a football town.
      Chairman Emeritus of the r/baseballHOF

Comment

Except during the World Cup

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
        San Juan, Puerto Rico
        Havana, Cuba

and believe it or not, the Dayton Dragons (AA Reds) sell out their entire stadium on a season ticket basis every single year. They have had 427 consecutive sold out games, and there really isn't a whole heck of a lot else to do in Dayton, Oh.
        Last edited by trosmok; 12-12-2005, 11:07 AM.
        Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

First off, the Dragons are Class A. Dayton is more of a college basketball town, believe it or not. On a poll done by the Dayton Daily News, only 25% of fans actually knew the final score of the game.
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

I didn't know that

Originally posted by nascarfn5
            First off, the Dragons are Class A. Dayton is more of a college basketball town, believe it or not. On a poll done by the Dayton Daily News, only 25% of fans actually knew the final score of the game.
            Thanks for the correction, nascarfn5, I don't follow college hoops until March madness. I incorrectly assumed the Dragons were AA because of their facility (FifthThird), and their attendance. They are consistently in the top 10 of all minor league clubs, and my last trip through town we did the Toledo-Columbus-Dayton long baseball weekend. We had to buy scalper's tickets to see the Dragons, and my fellow traveller thought I was nuts to pay more than face for a minor league game. BTW, Did you see the Durbin v. Lawrence North H.S. game on espn2 last Thursday?
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
              How exactly are the LA Kings "winners"?
              'Cause we win a lot of games and draw big crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                Thank you, Mr. Robitaille. That "a lot of games you've won" doesn't translate come playoff time, though. The Lakers and Dodgers have that tradition. I wouldn't so much put the Kings there with the teams that have the hardware. Must be the team nickname.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

The first three are no-brainers: St. Louis, New York and Boston. I think you could make a case for a few others but I'm going to say Chicago because of the undying Cubs fans at Wrigley. And I understand that it's the experience of the park and the drinking and all that but the place is packed all the time and with the ChiSox taking it all this past October, perhaps that will carry over into 2006 and Chicago will cement fourth place on this list. I mean, hey, Chicagoans like their baseball and with that Bears offense, they'll be looking forward to spring training sooner than rather than later.
                  Just being around baseball is an elixir-Buck O'Neil

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Robitaille. That "a lot of games you've won" doesn't translate come playoff time, though. The Lakers and Dodgers have that tradition. I wouldn't so much put the Kings there with the teams that have the hardware. Must be the team nickname.

The Kings get alot of support like the Ducks in ANaheim.

In 93 when the Kings went to the Stanley Cup LA was going crazy for hockey

same as 2003 for the Ducks down in Orange County

Even are soccer temas get huge support and have very high attendance

No city is what you call a real baseball town like what Dallas and Green Bay are for football Montreal and Tornoto are for hockey
                    Sorry National league the DODGERS have return

Comment

Being the #4 or #5 in team in the LA or NY market is better than being the #1 team in most markets
                      Sorry National league the DODGERS have return

Comment

Originally posted by Gagne#3 8
                        Being the #4 or #5 in team in the LA or NY market is better than being the #1 team in most markets
                        Umm-hmm. Everyone is envious of the Clippers.
                        If that were truly the case, LA would still have pro football. LA has to take a back seat to Detroit (you really want to talk about hockey?) and Chicago when it comes to sports towns.
                        s
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Umm-hmm. Everyone is envious of the Clippers.
                          If that were truly the case, LA would still have pro football. LA has to take a back seat to Detroit (you really want to talk about hockey?) and Chicago when it comes to sports towns.
                          s
                          The Clippers were 4th in the NBA in revenue last year.

The Rams and Raiders left because the city of LA wasn;t going to pay to renovate the Coliseum and the Rams tried to bully Anaheim into renovating Anaheim Staduim. There is a reason the NFL is giving LA 800 Million dollars that is right 800 million dollars to renovate the Coliseum. The city of LA doesn;t have to pay a dime and we get a NFL team most likely 2 with one playing in Orange County for free and we get a new staduim for our Olympic bid in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                            Yeah right. Compare the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 LA King's to this year's version.
                            If Pavol Demitra or Frolov go down, they're finished.
                            What a joke!

Now, the Montreal Canadiens are the team with the most attendance(sold out every game so far this season) and they're the best! Remember 24 STANLEY CUPS!!

Montreal Expos= 1994- World Series Champions :radio

Expos Forever!
                            Cristobal

Comment

New York and Boston are the biggest, than maybe LA and Chicago, St Louis and Atlanta are good too.

Philly used to be a huge baseball town for a very long time, it just doesn't appear that way because of the recent successes of the Eagles, and disappointments of the Phillies. I suspect if the Phillies actually begin contending for a title, or division, instead of being competitive, a lot of dormant hardcore Phillies fans will re-emerge. A lot of fans dislike the team management - see our board here as an example, and they're not the only ones.

Another reason is, I don't think the Phillies have marketed themselves well at all in New Jersey. Even south of Trenton I find just as many Mets fans as Phillies fans. Whereas, South Jersey is an Eagles strong-hold. It's really annoying to see just as many Mets and sometimes Yankees jerseys in sports stores.
                              Hey, Dad.... wanna have a catch?

Comment

I feel with as many cities as I've lived in, and as long as I've been a fan, I can probably feel comfortable giving some insight here.

I was raised in Atlanta, and though I love the city, it is perhaps the worst sports town in America. I always thought that the fans there were fair weather, but the Braves can't even sell out playoff games. Atlanta just blows for supporting sports.
                                I was born not too far from Chicago, and still have quite a bit of family there. Chicago is a Cubs town, through and through. The Yuppy crowd has done a bit of taking over at Wrigley, but when you get into the heart of Chicago's sports scene, the fans know and love their baseball.
                                My best friend lives in NY, and I'm there several times a year. Great fans, very knowledgable. Matter of fact, NY is the only place I've ever been where fans can recite Spring Training stats off the top of their heads. Crazy.
                                I've lived in Cincinnati the past 15 years. Great, great baseball town. Not overly large, but they take great pride in the Reds. Fans here can get on my nerves, but I respect their loyalty.
                                My wife is from Cleveland. It's a crappy baseball town. The Jake had a mythical streak of sellouts due to the "perfect storm", as I like to call it. The Browns were gone, the Cavs sucked, the Tribe had some big name players and a new ballpark, and the economy was in great shape. The last season of the streak, half the seats were empty, but they were still "sellouts", as the tickets had already been sold. This past year, they had a great team, but trouble getting support. Cleveland is a Browns town.

Other good baseball towns I've seen in my travels for both work and pleasure are Boston and St. Louis. Baltimore isn't bad, but much like Cleveland, the new park made a ballgame "the social place to be" for a few years, artificially inflating attendance.
                                I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X