Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many baseball town are there...really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kauffman Stadium

I thought Kansas City was one of the best places for baseball ever since my first visit to the Royals' ballpark. I know the Chiefs and hoops are huge, too, but the ghosts of the glory days of George Brett et.al., are still there. Hope the team can turn it around in '06, but I can't picture Mark Redman or their other acquisitions being their saviour du jour.
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Originally posted by thenextsuperstar
      Toronto, Detriot, KC, Pittsburg, Cincy, and BAltimore were all good baseballl towns (when their teams were good).
      Toronto may be a good baseball town when the Jays are good, but it's a great hockey town even when the Leafs are bad. It's a hockey city, anything else can only hope for second place.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
        I've been convinced LA wasn't a baseball town ever since the same thing happened to me at BOTH Dodger and Angels games: I started jeering and yelling (nothing profane, wanted to take it easy on the Left Coasters; this wasn't the Bronx), and within ten seconds people politely asked me if I could be quiet... at the Dodgers' game, it was so that a guy could continue his cell phone conversation next to me.

Sorry, that's not real baseball.

That does not prove LA is not a baseball town. What did you want someone to dump a beer on your head.

Comment

If you are not allowed to cheer at a baseball game, then how is it a baseball game. The roar of the crowd is one of the many factors that make a baseball game.
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Baltimore is still a great baseball town, even if Angelos is trying to kill the birds. Philly is very much a baseball town. Hockey is REALLY big there too. I think football and baseball are hard to compare. In any city, you have 81 home baseball games a year and only 8 football. I would bet that if baseball only played once a week for 16 weeks the passion and the attendance would be equal that of football in these other places. But baseball is a marathon and you can't expect pennant race or playoffs passion every day for 6 months. Here's my list:

Baltimore
            NY
            Philly
            Detroit
            San Diego
            LA
            Boston
            SF
            Cincy
            Houston
            ATL

Not bad, really. Baseball is definitely on the upswing now.

Comment

Detroit is a pretty good baseball town, too. Now that the team knows how to win again they're pretty popular. Detroit has the Red Wings (hockeytown), Pistons, and Lions and they're all pretty popular. The Lions continue to sell out every game despite the fact they haven't won a game in 20 years (or so it seems).

Comment

I guarantee you that if St.Louis was only able to keep one franchise, and the Rams went to four straight Super Bowls, and the Cardinals were in last place all four seasons, a hugs majority of people here would kiss the Rams goodbye. That is a baseball town.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Houston is definately a football town first. Even with our miserable squad!

But it's coming up as a baseball town. Winning will do that. a trip to the world series will do that. Elite players bring excitement. I've been going to at least 10 ballgames a year ( i know not a lot, I blame HI-DEf TV's) since about 1991 hear in Houston. It's only in the last year or two that we started booing our own players. I know that may sound bckwards to some but that is a noticible change. Having success raises expectations of the fans, thats when you know it's a baseball town too. I personally don't boo. I express my passion in other ways at the game, but it has come with all the excitement of winning in the playoffs.

Comment

In the Twin Cities or Minnesota almost everyone is "a friend" of the Twins, it's now very amicable and harmless to really support them even without following them that closely (like knowing middle relievers and callups after a few weeks).

But most people are married to the Vikings, complaints or not.
                    (fantasy football)
                    JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
                    DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
                    JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X