No announcement yet.

Can you be a Mets' and Yankee's Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me of all the Giants/A's caps I saw in the Bay Area back during the 1989 World Series. It's ridiculous.
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

I wouldnt wear orioles & nats hats NEVER!!!!

Comment

Double post. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Legend
          And lets not forget that skeleton they signed for 2 years.

This is Julio Franco getting at bat:

"Ok, I'm walking to the plate now. Walking to the plate now..."

...5 hours later...

"Walking to the plate now. Almost there. Ow!!!! I broke a hip!!!!"

The best 47 year old player in the league.

Comment

I don't see why you can't be a fan of both teams. I'm a baseball fan. I don't dislike any team per se. I'm interested in good games. That doesn't mean I don't keep up with the players or their stats. Anybody can keep up with a single team and their stats. It takes a real geek to keep track of the whole MLB

Comment

Well, this is a more complicated question than it seems.

The Yankees are not a direct rival of the Mets. They beat us in the 2000 Series, but they had the clearly superior team. I have harbor no ill will toward the Yankees as an intrinsic function of my Mets fandom. Some people think that hating the Yankees makes them more of a "true" Mets fans. Unrelated! I don't root for the Yankees, but I don't really get any added sense of pleasure (beyond the normal reaction to a Davidian slay of Goliath) when they lose, because I happen to be a Mets fan.

I find arrogant and uninformed, bandwagon Yankee FANS, more annoying than the actual team. I know people who claim to be Yankee fans, yet I watch twice as many Yankee games as they do.:noidea

One thing I can't stand is the misconception on the part of Mets fans that the organizations have a significantly different business model. Compared to one team the Mets are a small market team, compared to all the rest, they are a bully who swoops in and offers big dollars for other teams best (and often worst) players.

By the way, in 1986, the Mets had 4 of ten highest plaid players in the league. They outright released George Foster in mid season, and he had the biggest contract in the sport.
              THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Usually, as a fan, you know the teams of your hometown best - why not appreciate the accomplishments of the other team of the city ? Respect also contributes to better rivalries, I think.

Comment

I have no problem with Torre, Jeter, Rivera & company. They are a class bunch and I wish them well. I see no purpose in rooting against a team simply because they play in the same city as my favorite team. I root 'for' teams not 'against' them. The only time I root against the Yankees is when they play the Mets.

Comment

One cannot be a Yankees fan and root for the Mets, just as one cannot be a Yankees fan and root for the Red Sox.

But in the old baseball tradition, going back to 1901, which was the year I saw my first game, or at least when, as a baby, I was taken to my first game, the National League and the American League were at war.

Today, the leagues are losing their identity.

If the Red Sox won the pennant, and they did in 1967, and in 1975, and in 1986, American League fans rooted for the team that represented their league. Therefore, as a Yankees fan, I found it quite logical and natural to root for the Red Sox to win the WS, which they did not do those three times.

The best season is one in which the Yankees win the WS.
                    The worst season is one in which the Yankees lose the WS.

The Red Sox cannot beat the Yankees in the World Series and create a worst Yankees' season. The Mets can.
                    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

I can not see why one can not root for two or more teams. I am rooting for three teams myself. Mainly the Yankees, but also the Braves (except during the 1996 and 1999 WS) and the Mariners.

I still have no problem with that. :gt

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                        I find arrogant and uninformed, bandwagon Yankee FANS, more annoying than the actual team. I know people who claim to be Yankee fans, yet I watch twice as many Yankee games as they do.:noidea
                        Yeah, that's the one thing that bothers me the most is all the bandwagon fans. Before any Yank fan gets on me, I know every team gets them and it's natural that the Yanks have the most because they've been the most successful team in recent years, but it's still very annoying. I worked with a woman who was a "big Yanks fan". When I said I was a Mets fan, she said, "oh I liked them in the '80's". ARRGH!! Stick with one team and be done with it! I've always said you can split the NY fanbase into thirds : 1/3 Mets, 1/3 Yanks and 1/3 will root for whoever is doing better.

Comment

TB,

Exactly, where were those "big Yankee fans" in the Mel Hall years, oh yeah, in Queens- at Shea.

Bandwagoneers are the worst. I have much respect for the true, devoted Yankee fan, it seems as if they are the minority though.
                          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

We are. I will NEVER again set foot (or any anatomical part) in Shea Stadium. Even when we played them in the WS, I did not go there. Ask no 0.25 and give no 0.25.
                            Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Originally posted by LouGehrig
                              One cannot be a Yankees fan and root for the Mets, just as one cannot be a Yankees fan and root for the Red Sox.

But in the old baseball tradition, going back to 1901, which was the year I saw my first game, or at least when, as a baby, I was taken to my first game, the National League and the American League were at war.
                              I'm curious, that can't be right. You'd have to be at least 105 right now.
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                I'm curious, that can't be right. You'd have to be at least 105 right now.
                                I thought the same thing when I read that, but just assumed it was a typo. It would be pretty cool if its true.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X