The official Giant/Dodger rivalry thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mattingly
    What are the difference in amenities between Dodger Stadium and SBC Park? I've never been to either, so can you convince me that one is more fan- or player-friendly than the other?

Also, SBC has that "drink" in McCovey's Cove where all the kayakers have taken to catching you-know-who's longballs. What are some unique attractions at Dodger Stadium? Kind of like "the ivy at Wrigley" type of thing.

What's with all the complaints about the legendary Vin Scully? Care to elaborate on this a bit? I'm also surprised they aren't preceded by some kind of honorary tribute to his longetivity.

Vin has always has slways been somewhat of a boring broadcaster. He is very intelligent and formal but I do not see him being like what Dodger fans say " the best broadcaster in sports"
    The countdown to 755 begins

Comment

• Elvis9045: Why do some Norcal people always feel the need to degrade others with personal attacks?

no need to single out "norcal people", man.
      stuff comes from all corners, from all sides.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• Originally posted by BayBaseballFan
        Vin has always has slways been somewhat of a boring broadcaster. He is very intelligent and formal but I do not see him being like what Dodger fans say " the best broadcaster in sports"
        Actually, sir, it was his PEERS AND SPORTSWRITERS who voted him into the HOF and voted him broadcaster of the century...NOT Dodger fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by west coast orange and black
          Elvis9045: Why do some Norcal people always feel the need to degrade others with personal attacks?

no need to single out "norcal people", man.
          stuff comes from all corners, from all sides.
          It was a tongue-in-cheek post. I found it hilarious how she/he responded to a "personal attack" by denouncing "personal attacks" and then ended it with a "personal attack".

Sorry about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
            Hmmmmmmmmm ... Ali-Frazier? No, that's long gone.

Magic-Bird? Nahhhhhhhh, nobody's ever heard of them.

King-Evert? Bahh, humbug.

Nope, that's it. Giants-Dodgers must be the greatest rivalry in all of pro sports.
            Wouldn't Army-Navy, the two academies that produce the future leaders for our country's military (and many become quite successful after careers in the military), actually have something to say about the greatest rivalry. May not be the best football anymore, but it is still a rivalry, nonetheless.
            http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee Legend
              you know the rivalry im talking about. its the only one that means anything.
              Watching a lot of ESPN, I see.

The Dodgers-Giants is much more bitterthat Yankees-Red Sox ever was. Besides, it travelled 3000 miles across the country, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake83
                It will be an very unlikely day when I worry about the joke of a franchise down in Orange County
                Congratulations, this year's Senior class wil be the first not to be alive when the Dodgers won their last WS.
                Last edited by Bluesteve32; 12-31-2005, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure Dodger
                  What's an Angel fan?

Great quote coming from somebody who was four months old when the Dodgers won their last WS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake83
                    I do not consider them rivals. They are like the little kid on the block looking for their place.
                    That was because you are not old enough to remember the Grich, Lynn, Baylor, Reggie, Carew and the other playing for the Angels. Also, ther ewas no interleague play back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
                      Well, I don't believe you can call either team the first West Coast team. They both started over here in 1958. I hear that the dodgers' owner suggested the idea to the Giants' owner, but I also hear that the Giants thought about it first. There's really no way to know.

When the Giants moved they started play in Seals Stadium. Played there for two seasons and opened The 'Stick in 1960.
                      From what I understand, Stoneham was thinking of moving to Mineapolis and O'Malley told hem to hold that thought (sort of) and was dealing with LA on the side. OM convinced Stoneham to move to the West Coast and the rivalry would be left intact. The Giants announced it their pending move before OM did, but they moved the same season.

The Dodgers played at the LA Memorial Coliseum for four seasons and the Giants played at Seals Stadium for 1958 and 1959 and moved to the Stick in 1960. Chavez Ravine was opened in 1962 and both the Dodgers and Angels played there its igaugrual season whith the Angels leaving afterthe 1965 season. The Angels played one season at LA Wrigley in 1961.

Comment

• Originally posted by BayBaseballFan
                        Vin Scully was among the finest broadcasters ever to announce a game. However, in 2006, I don't think that is ture. I saw it coming with Chick Hearn, and Vinnie is not the Vinne we all grew up with. BTW, John Miller does a fair Scully impression.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                          Great quote coming from somebody who was four months old when the Dodgers won their last WS!
                          Yes! I was there in the Right Field Pavilion with my mom carrying me. I can remember when my mom almost threw me away when Gibson hit that homerun! I was like, "Mom, what were you thinking?!" Good times.

What about you? What were some of the great moments of your Major League Baseball team when you were 4 months old?

BTW, I was a year and 4 months old when the Dodgers won in '88.
                          Last edited by UnderPressure; 12-31-2005, 12:27 PM.
                          Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elvis9045
                            It was a tongue-in-cheek post. I found it hilarious how she/he responded to a "personal attack" by denouncing "personal attacks" and then ended it with a "personal attack".

Sorry about that.
                            My post did not include a personal attack. I just don't think it's civil making attacks like that. It brings down my level of interest in reading these threads, as I'm sure it does for many other people.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Vin Scully was among the finest broadcasters ever to announce a game. However, in 2006, I don't think that is ture. I saw it coming with Chick Hearn, and Vinnie is not the Vinne we all grew up with. BTW, John Miller does a fair Scully impression.
                              That's not true...

.... Jon Miller does a terrific Vin Scully impersonation, complete with the Farmer John Sausage commercials. It's a thing of beauty, believe me.

I haven't heard Scully for a year or more, and it sounds as though he's not the old Scully, but like his mentor, Red Barber, he doesn't need to be his old self to remain a treasure. I think Miller is the best in baseball -- great voice and cadence and incredibly knowledgeable, and stays away from cliches, with a wicked and sophisticated sense of humor. But, listening to Scully truly brings the sense of the timelessness of baseball -- of sitting at a picnic with some fried chicken and grownups playing catch and all the wonder that goes with being 8 or 13 or 18 or 38.

Scully is Bach; Miller is Beethoven. (Tim McCarver is John Tesh.)
                              sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
                                My post did not include a personal attack. I just don't think it's civil making attacks like that. It brings down my level of interest in reading these threads, as I'm sure it does for many other people.
                                Snide remark, personal "attack", whatever. They're all cuts off the same steer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X