No announcement yet.

The official Giant/Dodger rivalry thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which accomplishment is something be more proud of (for your team), your 5 straight ROY awards or your 5 straight MVP awards.
    Last edited by UnderPressure; 12-26-2005, 08:19 AM.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Now that we've had enough tongues being stuck out and "nyah-nyah-nyah" kind of posts, let's see people talk about the baseball aspect, like the players, the team accomplishments. Let's see some discussion on what the teams have discussed, and not just in a "my team can beat your team" thing, but about the players, the history, the strengths, the weaknesses of both.

The managers, the GMs, the trades, etc. In short, intelligent baseball discussion about the two teams. Thanks.
      Yeah, good luck with that request. That's like asking a bunch of 14-year old guys to stop thinking about sex.

I wish they would though. This thread is quickly degenerating into sophmoric poo poo.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
        Yeah, good luck with that request. That's like asking a bunch of 14-year old guys to stop thinking about sex.

I wish they would though. This thread is quickly degenerating into sophmoric poo poo.
        Don't worry, I have ways of changing the course of a thread. If people want to keep the teenaged style of "fratboy humor" alive, I can only suggest the mlb.com forums.

At least when we talk the smack in the main Bitter Rivalry thread, we talk about real events, such as the Yanks snaring Damon away from the Red Sox, or we talk about questionable moves by the others' front office. This "my team can beat yours" neither requires insight, studying the topic at hand, nor much common sense, to put it bluntly.

Let's get this thread back on track, folks, and hopefully, instead of just braggadocio, we can at least see some kind of baseball intelligence. If not, another one bites the dust, if they can figure that one out (should take 1/2 second, at most).

The strangest thing is that as often as people have wanted fans outside of the AL East to have their own "rivalry" thread, now when they have it, it's like nobody knows what to do with it. Discuss baseball here. Is that too difficult? Discuss matchups by position, discuss stats, discuss how intelligent the moves by the managers are, discuss which GM is giving their team a chance to win, discuss whose teams' holes are being filled, discuss attendance.

If they can do that, I'll tolerate a few cheesy "nyah-nyah-nyah" things, but that shouldn't be the main focus of everything. It shouldn't be impossible to discuss baseball in a respectable baseball forum, given that said forumers are quality baseball fans. In fact, it should be like drinking water or breathing air. Something naturally done, not a chore one wants to avoid.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 12-26-2005, 10:04 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Isn't there already a Bitter Rivals Thread here on BBF?

I second Mattingly's statements. I do not want this to become MLB.com redux. I'll keep an eye on this thread, as will KHenry and WCOAB. If it gets out of hand, I would not mind it being closed. Let's just stick to talking about the organizations and the moves they make, with an occasional "1954" reminder here and there.
          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Head to Head matchup
            Lets start with the lineup
            Starting Pitching next

C Navarro Matheny SF
            1BNomar Nikero LA
            2BKent Durham LA
            SSFurcal Vizquel LA
            3BMueller Felix TIE
            RFDrew Alou LA
            CFLofton Winn SF
            LFCruz Bonds SF

Any disagreements- If asked I will explain my head to head matchup
            Last edited by Jake83; 12-26-2005, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71
              Isn't there already a Bitter Rivals Thread here on BBF?
              Mostly created by Jake83, since the fans of the other teams, including NL teams, weren't really included. The main Bitter Rivalry thread was primarily a shootout amongst the AL East teams.
              Originally posted by Jake83
              Head to Head matchup
              Lets strt with the lineup

Any disagreements- If asked I will explain my head to head matchup
              If you could put the positions each player players, that would be great.

If people can mention the bench, the pen, that would be fine.

Don't forget, a few cheesy shots at the other teams, I won't mind (see the main Bitter Rivalry thread for exagerrated examples), so long as people actually do refer to recent events that have come along, including how they may affect the relevant teams.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Mueller and Felix should be a toss up because 1. Felix's defense at 3rd base is questionable 2. He has never started a full season
                Sorry National league the DODGERS have return

Comment

Alou is a question mark of the Gnats. He plays an awful RF and his bat may go any year. If Bonds comes back it will make up for it. I still do not see a player on the Gnats to protect Bonds. Felix may break out or even Nikero but those are question marks. The Gnats situation in the minors at the highest levels does not predict a bright future unlike the Dodgers who may have the best farm system in the majors

Comment

Do you guys mean Feliz?
                    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Dodger
                      Do you guys mean Feliz?

The sorry Gnat 3rd basemen is better

Anyway I give him the nod over Mueller at 3rd

Comment

Your few NL West Titles and NL pennets do not compare to our let me see 1....2.....3.....4.....Let me see......5 World Championshp since the move out West
                        So? Dodger fans still suck. And I doubt you were a Dodger fan in 1959.
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Alou is a question mark of the Gnats. He plays an awful RF and his bat may go any year. If Bonds comes back it will make up for it. I still do not see a player on the Gnats to protect Bonds. Felix may break out or even Nikero but those are question marks. The Gnats situation in the minors at the highest levels does not predict a bright future unlike the Dodgers who may have the best farm system in the majors
                          Can you name some highly touted Doder's prospects? And where is Edwin Jackson?
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                            Can you name some highly touted Doder's prospects? And where is Edwin Jackson?

Matt Kemp

Joel Guzman

Andy laroche

James Loney

Chad Bilingsley

Do you want me to contiune

Who do the Gnats have

Comment

No it is the 5 championships in LA
                              Jake,

You keep bragging abut the Dodgers World Series titles. It's been a while since most of them happened.

1988-16 years ago
                              1981-24 Years ago
                              1965-40 years ago
                              1963-42 years ago
                              1959-46 years ago
                              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-26-2005, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                                Jake,

You keep bragging abut the Dodgers World Series titles. it's been a while since most of them happened.

1988-16 years ago
                                1981-24 Years ago
                                1965-40 years ago
                                1963-42 years ago
                                1959-46 years ago

SF Gnats-----------------NEVER NEVER

Who will protect Bonds in the lineup

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X