• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    did you read knapp's story?
    did you read where "it's safe to say almost everyone wanted to leave with an "I Was There" souvenir."?

No, I'll read the story. I didn't see the game last night. I was out, so I didn't see Broxton pitch, which is why I said it didn't necessarily happen to Broxton last night. Maybe you are looking at it with a jaundiced Giants homer's eye, yourself. Bonds gets an AWFUL lot of favorable calls in the ball/strike department.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    did you read knapp's story?
    did you read where "it's safe to say almost everyone wanted to leave with an "I Was There" souvenir."?

Leave a comment:

replied
    dude.
    broxton nibbled 'cause he wasn't on at all last night; he was all over the place.
    and, maybe you have not watched very carefully (or maybe you have but suffer from "dodgerfaneyes") but bonds has had lots of calls go against him.

penny threw a pretty good uncle charlie on that particular one you're talkin' about, i agree. it was a bit high in the zone but definitely in the zone and plate ump hickox missed it.
    a pitcher doesn't get as many close ones by throwing up his hands, though.

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    Bonds took a lot of weak swings and looked stymied by some pitches that should have made him drool. But he played every day. He didn't take a break. That's more than anyone can say for the Dodgers.

They bobbed, weaved, ducked and avoided, avoided, avoided. They walked him, a man who hit .186 in July, five times in three games.

The lowest moment came Wednesday night, when reliever Jonathan Broxton tried to pitch around Bonds, then gave up and walked him intentionally.
    -gwen knapp, sf chronicle staff writer, friday, 03 august 2007

go here for knapp's entire story
    Tony, your last secenario, regarding Broxton, happens very frequently with Bonds. As I have mentioned before, many pitchers 'give up' trying to pitch to Bonds because they can't get a strike called. I'm not saying that necessarily happened to Broxton last night, but when a pitcher is facing Bonds, he has to try and nibble. Anything fat is subject to a ride downtown. So he nibbles. Unfortunately, most plate umps give everything close to Bonds, including pitches that should be called strikes. After throwing one or two of those to Bonds, and having them called balls, he may as well just 'give up' rather than pipe one right down the middle just to get a strike called! That happened to Penny in the first game of the series. Curve ball that curved right down the middle was called a ball, and Penny threw up his hands in frustration.

Leave a comment:

replied
    dodger stadium was walk of fame

Bonds took a lot of weak swings and looked stymied by some pitches that should have made him drool. But he played every day. He didn't take a break. That's more than anyone can say for the Dodgers.

They bobbed, weaved, ducked and avoided, avoided, avoided. They walked him, a man who hit .186 in July, five times in three games.

The lowest moment came Wednesday night, when reliever Jonathan Broxton tried to pitch around Bonds, then gave up and walked him intentionally.
    -gwen knapp, sf chronicle staff writer, friday, 03 august 2007

go here for knapp's entire story

Leave a comment:

replied
    thought that you'd appreciate, dodgerfan1.

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    the hated dodgers did not go along with the script last night.

the visiting team took each of the first 10 games between the clubs (hated dodgers 6-0 in the city, the big men 4-0 in la) but the hated dodgers improvised last night and messed things up.

how hollywood.

:grouchy
    LOL.

Leave a comment:

replied
    the hated dodgers did not go along with the script last night.

the visiting team took each of the first 10 games between the clubs (hated dodgers 6-0 in the city, the big men 4-0 in la) but the hated dodgers improvised last night and messed things up.

how hollywood.

:grouchy

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis View Post
    And Penny was scared of Barroids because Grady Little called for an IW? :noidea
    I know, the logic escapes me too, but oh well. I once saw Shooty Babbit intentionally walked with first base open to set up a double play and I doubt the pitcher was 'scared' of him. WCOB is an intelligent guy, he's just engaging in typical Dodger/Giant banter.

Bonds was 0-3 again last night and didn't hit the ball hard. That's what I meant yesterday when I said he's been feeble lately. Because he has. That's not smack talk, that's fact. He'll break out before long and get his dingers, but for now, enjoy it. I know, I know - another intentional walk. That's become conventional wisdom, at this point. Been happening for years now.

At least Lincecum didn't get the W.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    dodgerfan1: Yes, could you see Penny just quaking when Barry came up? ooooh.... it was so scary....

that's exactly what i saw. and i was 428 miles away.
    And Penny was scared of Barroids because Grady Little called for an IW? :noidea

Leave a comment:

replied
    dodgerfan1: Yes, could you see Penny just quaking when Barry came up? ooooh.... it was so scary....

that's exactly what i saw. and i was 428 miles away.

Leave a comment:

replied
    blueblood: Uh, the aftermath is exactly why Penny is 13-1 with a 2.50 ERA

wanna check those figures again?

Leave a comment:

• Dodgerfan1
    replied
    the aftermath does not matter.

the hated dodgers didn't pitch to bonds with a runner on 2nd in the 3rd inning.

the hated dodgers were scared even with penny's 13-1 record and 2-fifty era on the mound.
    Yes, could you see Penny just quaking when Barry came up? ooooh.... it was so scary....

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Uh, the aftermath is exactly why Penny is 13-1 with a 2.50 ERA.

Leave a comment:

replied
    the aftermath does not matter.

the hated dodgers didn't pitch to bonds with a runner on 2nd in the 3rd inning.

the hated dodgers were scared even with penny's 13-1 record and 2-fifty era on the mound.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X