"McCarver-isms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
    It pisses me off when people get mad at athletes for saying stupid things, they're jocks not linguists or something that requires a formal education to do.
    Funny how easy it is to criticize that we which we are incapable of doing ourselves.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes
      Funny how easy it is to criticize that we which we are incapable of doing ourselves.
      Not saying that McCarver, wasn't good at what he did when he played, but he's not the most articulate man in the world.
      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
        Not saying that McCarver, wasn't good at what he did when he played, but he's not the most articulate man in the world.
        I'm not refering to you; I'm refering to those around here who cut him to pieces.

The same ones that piss you off.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater
          Funny, I never have ran into one. They all must stay home.
          Those are called viewers, the folks that TV networks fight tooth and nail to get. If there are alot of them it doesn't matter how stupid he sounds to people, they aren't getting rid of him.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Incapable of doing it because I'm not articulate and qualified, or incapable because I never played major league ball...so they won't consider me for the job?

There is no secret that many...not all...announcers get the job because of performance, or reputation, on the field. That's not fair, but that's the way it is.

Comment

I don't have a problem with Tim's use of the language and my two favorite color analysts (Don Sutton and Jim Kaat) aren't guys with Communications degrees, so...that isn't a problem for me.

What is, is McCarver's insistence on repeating clichés and hoary conventional wisdom as if they're revolutionary insight, his persistent need to state the obvious, his hamfisted attempts at being hip and the way he and Buck bring out the giggly, smarmy worst in each other.

He has two career lows, for me. His acting like Kevin McReynolds was the coolest guy on Earth after he gave that appalling interview in the '88 Playoffs and basically said he'd be okay if the Mets didn't make the World Series because then he could go back to Arkansas and hunt and his legendary whinefest after Deion Sanders doused him with water after the '92 NLCS.

He got backed up by a lot of writers who wanted an excuse to bash Deion, a lot of writers who said and wrote things that were patently absurd (like Mike Lupica tut tutting that he might have been electrocuted...as if every broadcaster who ventured into a winning locker room from about 1955 onward hadn't ended up looking like Jim Cantore covering a landfalling hurricane.)
              3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

You know I have no problem with Tim McCarver, he has a cool sounding voice and ive never disliked the way he announced games ive watched. Its actually rather funny watching him sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by tommydale1
                  Incapable of doing it because I'm not articulate and qualified, or incapable because I never played major league ball...so they won't consider me for the job?
                  Incapable of sitting there for three hours describing a game in a way that won't make viewers turn the Television off.

I think you need a certain amount of the arrogance, that many players have, to do the job.
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                    "Beckett's retired 19 batters through Six and a third innings, he's having a phenomonal night..."
                    oh man, those quotes of his are great, especially that David Ortiz one, haha. What's wrong with the quote above though? Unless Beckett had not been pitching a perfect game... 6 innings pitched is 18 batters, plus a third of an inning, that's one more.That's 19 total batters. I don't get it...
                    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
                    munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by agent-g
                      oh man, those quotes of his are great, especially that David Ortiz one, haha. What's wrong with the quote above though? Unless Beckett had not been pitching a perfect game... 6 innings pitched is 18 batters, plus a third of an inning, that's one more.That's 19 total batters. I don't get it...
                      You just answered your own question... Of course he's retired 19 batters if he's pitched 6 1/3 innings. That's what 6 1/3 innings means. It's not possible to have retired any number of batters through 6 1/3 innings except 19, so it's a stupid thing to say.
                      "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Incapable of sitting there for three hours describing a game in a way that won't make viewers turn the Television off.

I think you need a certain amount of the arrogance, that many players have, to do the job.
                        He may not be better than us, but it's only because we'd all be too embarrassed to say the stupid things McCarver says with any sort of conviction. We'd say things just as lame and stupid, but out of complete desperation and we would, rightly, sound desperate. Being too stupid to realize no one cares about your (McCarver's) shallow point isn't something that, in my opinion, we should be praising.
                        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

As someone who has semi-defended McCarver on a couple of threads, let me just state that I certainly don't enjoy McCarver for the overused cliches and sometimes overzealous praise of not-quite-so-deserving players. And yes, I have also heard him fumble a statement and found myself either smiling or wincing at his foible, but I enjoy him, for the most part, for what some on this forum seem to think he's lacking in, his insight. I'm not exactly sure what some people have or haven't heard McCarver say over the years, and I certainly haven't seen every game he's ever broadcast, but almost every time I do, a few gems of insight and baseball wisdom do come out of his piehole. He caught in the majors for a very long time (a four decade guy, if memory serves), and when he is dispensing some of his knowledge about the game from a catcher's perspective, I usually find it quite interesting and educational. A catcher has a unique perspective, and one that 'controls' a good part of a ball game, and it's obvious that he is very knowledgable about the nuances and idiosyncrasies of it. That's generally why I listen to him. Well, that and I usually have no other choice!

I do agree that he tends to like the sound of his own voice too much at times, but I forgive him that, because so does everyone in the broadcast biz, from baseball to political talk. I find his sense of humor refreshing at times, too. I also might look at him in a different perspective from others, having read a couple of his books and enjoying them immensely. One of my favorite passages in the oddly-titled "Oh Baby, I Love It" is when McCarver, as a rookie in 1959, was put up to pinch hit late in a game with the bases loaded and one out. He smoked a line drive right at the pitcher (or some other infielder, but I think it was the pitcher) who snared the ball and tossed it to first base for a double play. When he got back to the dugout, the manager said, "Nice going, McCarver! Do me a favor. Next time, just strike out and keep the inning going!"

Different people seem to expect and want different things from sportscasters. Some seem to want insight, others entertainment and still others just want them to shut up and announce the game and leave all the extraneous stuff alone (my dad was like that). I want a little of all three. For me, McCarver is the first two, but not the third. Oh well. Two out of three ain't bad, and I think he's okay. I didn't say I think he's great, just a little better than the average sportscaster I've seen. Either I'm in the minority or many of those who like him aren't speaking up. I suspect I'm the former, but who really cares?

It is telling, however, that those who like and admire Yogi Berra seem to embrace the verbal fouls-ups he (allegedly) made from time to time, yet those who dislike McCarver use them against him like a stiletto. I suppose it's just human nature, though.
                          Last edited by Dodgerfan1; 10-24-2006, 04:15 AM.
                          Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
                            Just like O'Reilly and Hannity, an awful lot of people must like McCarver, or he wouldn't be so successful at what he's doing.
                            I sure a lot of people like O'Reilly and Hannity (1/2 of the electorate) as well.
                            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
                              He may not be better than us, but it's only because we'd all be too embarrassed to say the stupid things McCarver says with any sort of conviction. We'd say things just as lame and stupid, but out of complete desperation and we would, rightly, sound desperate. Being too stupid to realize no one cares about your (McCarver's) shallow point isn't something that, in my opinion, we should be praising.
                              But we don't praise it.

We cut it up.

it's OK to make light of his commentary but some of us want to end him as is the aim of that ridiculous web site.
                              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

One problem may be that he just doesn't have a knack for jokes. The Groundball statement seems a tongue-in-cheek statement that could be very funny if spoken in the right way, and taken in the right way. And the statement about the ball being down and up is just hilarious...he obviously just mis-spoke, and that's OK, because we all do it. Shoot, we all have typos in our messages here on this forum all the time. Bad English is one thing, a typo is quite another. Well, I'm sure McCarver has had a few verbal typos.
                                That said, he says a lot of stupid things. And that list is just a small example. I like good analysis, because I like to get inside the players' and managers' heads and figure out what's going on, what the possiblilties are, the "game within the game" if you know what I mean. But it's true, some things are just stupid. The 19 batters thing is just silly. If he meant 19 straight batters, then it makes sense, but I have a feeling that's not what was happening. But it is hard to speak on your feet like sportscasters do. I tried to do it a couple years ago during the All-Star Fan Fest here in Chicago. They had this video booth, and you could put on headphones, pick from a selection of plays, and then do the play-by-play. A friend and I did it together, (He was color commentary, I was play-by-play) and gave it a shot. It was hard! So, I have a little mercy on these guys. But I don't have mercy on Hawk Harrelson.
                                But Tim is professional. He should get a talking to.
                                "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X