Breakdown of position-to-position qualities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdown of position-to-position qualities

After the top 10 shortstops thread, seeing Cesar Izturis ranked higher than Carlos Guillen on almost everyone's ballot, I have decided to see what everyone looks for/likes in each position... whether it be speed, average, power, steals, defense, game calling, leadership or any other category I may of left off

an example:

1st base: power
    2nd base: speed
    Shortstop: defense

and so on and so forth, list all the positions and use whatever combination of skill sets you would like from that position

I'll only discuss defense. I'm sure someone else is better suited to discuss the offensive needs. Here they are by their position's number and the position itself:

#2, C--Calling a great game; ability to master pitchers' mentalities; wake them up mentally if they're not doing their job; throwing out base stealers at 2B, 3B, and picking guys off 1B.

#3, 1B--Diving catches for line shots; running catches well into foul territory; cutoff; covering shots down the RF line; ranging to make catches in the 1B/2B gap; scooping up balls that weren't thrown perfectly; tagging guys out (including midair) if the ball was caught before the bag.

#4, 2B--Good pivoting; soft hands; able to twist for each of the 4-6-3, 6-4-3 and the 5-4-3; ability to catch guys stealing, especially if they slide off the base; jumping out of the way on the breaking up of the DP attempt; making play on shots up 2B itself.

#5, 3B--Barehanded play; covering hard shots down the LF line; 5-4-3 around the horn play; backing up SS in case he can't get to the ball.

#6, SS--Twisting athleticism, in getting to balls hit behind them; charging to 1B if that's needed to make the play on time; soft-tossing to 2B for a 6-4-3; racing to 2B and accepting a throw in a 4-6-3; accurate and bazooka arm.

I'll get to the outfield later on.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

In the more general sense showed by Astro, I personally like Baseball America's evaluation. In their prospect handbook (and maybe other places), BA lists the five primary "tools" (Fielding, Arm Strength, Hitting, Power, and Speed) for position players. Here is the rundown (tools for each position listed in importance for the position) in the 2005 Prospect Handbook:

C- Fielding, Arm Strength, Hitting, Power, Speed

1B- Hitting, Power, Fielding, Arm Strength, Speed

2B- Hitting, Fielding, Power, Speed, Arm Strength

3B- Hitting, Power, Fielding, Arm Strength, Speed

SS- Fielding, Arm Strength, Hitting, Power, Speed

LF- Hitting, Power, Fielding, Arm Strength, Speed

CF- Fielding, Hitting, Speed, Power, Arm Strength

RF- Hitting, Power, Arm Strength, Fielding Speed

I think that's pretty close to correct, though I would change some for my tastes. I just don't feel like it right now.
      sigpic

Comment

Just to make things complicated, I would assert that when considering offensive qualities, it is not only where a players plays the field, but also where he hits in the order, that's important.

For example, Chone Figgins is not the classic 3B, but he is pretty effective nonetheless as traditional, and relatvely so, as a sabermetric lead off hitter.

Also, being one of the premier players in the league at any of the above categories can overcome a lack of traditional qualities valued at a given position. Mike Piazza, was the anti-catcher, but go and try to find a team that wouldn't have given up their own catcher for him in his prime.
        Last edited by digglahhh; 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM.
        THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X