Marlins Executives to Talk With Portland Officials About Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Executives to Talk With Portland Officials About Ballpark

MIAMI (AP) - Florida Marlins representatives plan to meet next week with Portland, Ore. officials about the team's possible relocation to the city in the event it can't get a baseball-only stadium in South Florida.
    Marlins president David Samson will travel to Portland on Monday for a one-day visit, team spokesman P.J. Loyello said Friday. Samson will be accompanied by Marlins vice chairman Joel Mael and Claude Delorme, who is in charge of stadium development.

Since their inception in 1993, the Marlins have shared the Miami Dolphins' home, owned by Wayne Huizenga. The Marlins' lease with the stadium is in effect until 2007, and the team could move after that.

If the team relocates, Las Vegas and Portland appear to be the early front-runners.

http://sports.myway.com/news/01062006/v1691.html
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

I already know about this. (early in the day) I'm hoping that the Portland group will do good in this meeting with the Marlins. I'm also hopeful that they will present the Marlins with the facts, demographics, and whatnot, as much as possible. I'm supporting them, thus my sig.

:gt
    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Oh well.
      Come to Montreal!!!
      Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 01-07-2006, 02:19 PM.
      Cristobal

Comment

Let me tell you something, the Portland group have scored a run or two with these two press confrences with Mayor Tom Potter and David Samson of the Marlins most notably. Granted, this game isn't over, as Las Vegas has to step to the plate still, and that this will take two seasons to accomplish, but the vibe I get from the talks with Portland is that it is looking good, not flawlessly awesome, but not anything of horrible note, either. This is true, I just got the scoop. I've heard that Samson was impressed by Portland's stadium deal, too.

Just try to top that, Goodman...

Comment

Marlins President Visits Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Mayor Tom Potter said Monday he has a "very strong sense" that most Portlanders don't care about landing a major league baseball team and reiterated his position that the city will not help finance a ballpark for the Florida Marlins.
          Potter spoke after meeting with Marlins president David Samson and other team officials, who are touring potential new homes for the franchise.

"My concern is that Portland is facing a crisis is education," Potter said. "That's my top priority, to find funding for that. And I expressed that today."

Samson said a "public-private" partnership is a must because there's no way the Marlins would pay for an entire stadium project.

"Governments do make decisions when they attract businesses to the community," Samson said. "Baseball is not the only industry, by any stretch, to ask for government help when deciding where to have its corporate headquarters."

In 2003, Oregon legislators approved a stadium plan that would allow the income taxes from players and other team personnel to be diverted to a fund to pay off bonds used to build the stadium.

"What the state does is its own business," Potter said.

Samson compared Monday's meeting to a first date and said it was too soon to consider Potter's position a potential obstacle.

"Today it was just about meeting the mayor and getting to know him, and that's what I focused on," he said. "I don't really focus too much on public comments - positive or negative - because it's too premature."

Portland is the second stop on Samson's tour of potential sites, following San Antonio.

http://sports.myway.com/news/01092006/v7376.html
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarfn5
            PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Mayor Tom Potter said Monday he has a "very strong sense" that most Portlanders don't care about landing a major league baseball team and reiterated his position that the city will not help finance a ballpark for the Florida Marlins.
            Potter spoke after meeting with Marlins president David Samson and other team officials, who are touring potential new homes for the franchise.

"My concern is that Portland is facing a crisis is education," Potter said. "That's my top priority, to find funding for that. And I expressed that today."

Samson said a "public-private" partnership is a must because there's no way the Marlins would pay for an entire stadium project.

"Governments do make decisions when they attract businesses to the community," Samson said. "Baseball is not the only industry, by any stretch, to ask for government help when deciding where to have its corporate headquarters."

In 2003, Oregon legislators approved a stadium plan that would allow the income taxes from players and other team personnel to be diverted to a fund to pay off bonds used to build the stadium.

"What the state does is its own business," Potter said.

Samson compared Monday's meeting to a first date and said it was too soon to consider Potter's position a potential obstacle.

"Today it was just about meeting the mayor and getting to know him, and that's what I focused on," he said. "I don't really focus too much on public comments - positive or negative - because it's too premature."

Portland is the second stop on Samson's tour of potential sites, following San Antonio.

http://sports.myway.com/news/01092006/v7376.html
            Bunch of balogna coming from Potter...

I know that The Oregonian constantly makes things up to bash MLB2PDX and to make it look like that Portland isn't the type for MLB, but rest assured, this writer has no proof of that, so don't be fooled by this. ^ They constantly push for NHL2PDX, but really that is peanuts compared to MLB.

I've been told that the press conferences went pretty well, and though Potter is still against local funding for the stadium, he is still open to discussing baseball with the Marlins. The good news is that the Marlins are indeed impressed with what Portland has to offer, though they say they are still commited to Miami.
            Last edited by Knick9; 01-10-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

^ Last post edited due to misinformation. Just don't believe it when Potter says that "Most Portlanders don't care about baseball," in that article. That is utter bullcrap and he is definately misinformed when it comes to that. His main focus is eduaction, while The Oregonian newspaper keeps pushing for NHL to come to Portland...bad combination. All in all, there is time to fix things like this, as assuming that the Marlins will move after 2007, this game can surely be turned around.

So yes, after reviewing the play made by Portland, the ruling on the field is that Mayor Potter is the one who doesn't care one way or the other if MLB comes to Portland. And after further review, I went ahead of myself...again.
              Last edited by Knick9; 01-10-2006, 07:13 PM.

Comment

All Las Vegas needs is for a team to agree to relocate and a staium will be built. The money is there and so is the location - so come on Marlins. Or should I say Las Vegas Rollers.
                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz

Oh well.
                  Come to Montreal!!!
                  That would be just a tad ironic.
                  Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                  I hope that's all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X