OK Game 7 of the World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Game 7 of the World Series

Game 7 of the World Series, you have 2 starting pitchers ready, one pitcher (a) was 18-7 with a 3.60 ERA in the regular season but got awesome run support throughout all the year. The other pitcher (b) went 10-14 with a 2.20 ERA because for some unknown reason received abysmal run support. Who would be your starting pitcher for Game 7 of the World Series.

*Other notes*

Pitcher A has also got great run support throughout the current playoffs while pitcher b keeps losing because his team doesn't score.

Both pitchers are same age and have pitched for the same number of years, pitcher a has always received run support in his career while pitcher b hasn't been as lucky.

Neither of them have previous postseason experience.
    Pitcher A
    46.15%
    Pitcher B
    53.85%
    Last edited by ReignInBlood; 01-11-2006, 06:28 AM.

pitcher B, unless Pitcher A plays for a lineup like the Yankees

Comment

Has it always been like that? What has each pitcher done the last couple seasons? The term "ace" is defined by more than mere statistics from that single season.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

There is more to take into account than what you provided. I wouldnt be able to determine until I know things like who's older, who has the better postseason record, ar any of them dubbed as "big game pitchers", and things like that. Also depends on who the other team is and each pitchers lifetime numbers against that team.
        "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
        -Vin Scully

Comment

Made some edits to the original post.

Comment

If your team isn't going to score when pitcher B is on the mound, but is going to score with pitcher A, wouldn't you want the pitcher who the offense shows up for?
            To me, lack of run support could just as easily mean the pitcher gets outpitched a lot. If pitcher B is never as good as the other pitcher taking the mound that day, there's a reason why he has a losing record.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

This is just to see how much wins are valued vs ERA, I think wins are more important on many levels, if its consistent.

Comment

Ummm... I'll go with the better pitcher, B....

Wins are overrated (vastly), and on any given night a team can be shut out or put up 10 for a pitcher...

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
                  Ummm... I'll go with the better pitcher, B....

Wins are overrated (vastly), and on any given night a team can be shut out or put up 10 for a pitcher...

Of course but for some reason pitcher B gets more run support, what on earth makes you think things are gonna change in game 7 of the world series.

This brings a problem ive never hear adressed here.... perhaps a pitcher has something to do with his run support in an intangible sort of way, maybe the way he carries himself on the pitcher's mound makes his team confident they are going to win. On the opposite side perhaps the other pitcher who is "better" doesnt inspire his team to score for him. Regardless going with who wins is ALWAYS the better decision unless you are in fantasy ball. You can argue all day that the guy with better ERA will eventually win, but if we are talking about consistency here, then obviously for whatever reason he hasnt.

Comment

Pitcher C: 1.49 ERA 27-3 Record

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
                      Pitcher C: 1.49 ERA 27-3 Record
                      Who might that be?
                      Russ Ortiz!
                      Cristobal

Comment

With the information provided, I would have to say that it would be imperative as the team's manager to put the odds in their favor, so the city can celebrate, and go with Pitcher A. If the run support has not been their throughout Pitcher B's whole career, then I would see pitching him in Game 7 of The World Series as a serious liability - completely in the way - of the team's success.

Yes, there are many other factors at play here, and you must be able to get a very well rounded perspective of the pitcher's overall abilities - especially in these types of situations - while looking at the other team's proficiency with the bat against the pitcher in question, etc. etc. However, with the minimal amount of information given to the supposed manager ... Pitcher A seems like the obvious choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStellyPADRES4LIFE
                          Of course but for some reason pitcher B gets more run support, what on earth makes you think things are gonna change in game 7 of the world series.

This brings a problem ive never hear adressed here.... perhaps a pitcher has something to do with his run support in an intangible sort of way, maybe the way he carries himself on the pitcher's mound makes his team confident they are going to win. On the opposite side perhaps the other pitcher who is "better" doesnt inspire his team to score for him. Regardless going with who wins is ALWAYS the better decision unless you are in fantasy ball. You can argue all day that the guy with better ERA will eventually win, but if we are talking about consistency here, then obviously for whatever reason he hasnt.
                          I'm going to use the pitcher with more talent... going just by ERA that is Pitcher B

It's not his job to put runs on the board, if the offense cant do it for him then its their fault they lose... not the pitchers

Comment

For all the money, give me Pitcher A.

Besides, A has won Games 1 and 4, while B has lost Games 2 and 5.

For whatever reason, like it has been stated, A is getting the runs and certainly has the confidence of the team. Another reason could be that the opposing team's #1 is not facing A and is matched up with B and therefore shutting down the runs. Who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by Pinstripe Pride
                              For all the money, give me Pitcher A.

Besides, A has won Games 1 and 4, while B has lost Games 2 and 5.

For whatever reason, like it has been stated, A is getting the runs and certainly has the confidence of the team. Another reason could be that the opposing team's #1 is not facing A and is matched up with B and therefore shutting down the runs. Who knows....
                              Where does it say A has won 2 games this series and B has lost 2?

This really isnt that great of an example because all that is given is W-L and ERA... what about hits, walks, Ks, WHIP, OPS against... all of these are important aswell

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X