Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankee Legend
    replied
    Thank you all for participating. Here are the results you've been waiting for:

1. Andruw Jones (153)
    2. Jim Edmonds (137)
    3. Johnny Damon (108)
    4. Carlos Beltran (77)
    5. Torii Hunter (70)
    6. Vernon Wells (62)
    7. Brady Clark (57)
    8. Ken Griffey Jr. (46)
    9. Juan Pierre (42)
    10. Grady Sizemore (39)

11. Mike Cameron (11)
    11. Aaron Rowand (11)
    13. David DeJesus (5)
    14. Rocco Baldelli (4)
    14. Brad Wilkerson (4)
    16. Steve Finley (2)
    17. Mark Kotsay (1)
    17. Kenny Lofton (1)
    17. Randy Winn (1)

Remember to cast your ballot for the Current Top 10 Left Fielders Poll.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee Legend
    replied
    Voting Closed

Sorry guys. I haven't been on my computer in a while. The results will be announced shortly.

Leave a comment:

• Dasperp
    replied
    The way i do my rankings is just to list which players i think will be the best next year. With regards to Clark, a .306/.372/.426 line is very good for a CF, and i think he's a pretty good defender as well.

Leave a comment:

• Brannu
    replied
    Originally posted by E.Banks#14
    It's hard for me to do this, but I'm gonna bash Pierre right now. 83.3% of his career hits are singles. He's only had more than 50 walks in a season once in his career... as a leadoff man. His speed is his one asset. In the last four years, he has converted 37.8% of his bunts into hits, and he averages about 27 infield hits per year over that timespan. His career SB% is 73.5%. Other than that, he is near or below league average in most offensive statistics and his fielding is nothing to write home about. As I write this, I realize the only reason I put him at #9 is because he's a Cub.
    It's funny that you point those things out about him, because, those are the things that I like about him. He's a leadoff guy with outstanding speed. He doesn't need to hit a lot of doubles, because his speed is able to turn a single into a double - with a stolen base. Without a doubt ... he will get a lot of hits, score a lot of runs and will give you an opportunity everytime because he doesn't strikeout a whole bunch. His OBP could be higher ... and that might just happen in Chicago.

But, being fair, Brady Clark was good, Sizemore was great. But, career wise, it's not even close. Pierre is proven over years ... these guys aren't. This is why I put him third ... although, I'm reconsidering putting Griffey there. I mean, he was all-century.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelion
    You're calling a team that finished at 500. a poor team, ElHalo?
    Absolutely.

Like I said, I'm an American League fan, so I only pay attention to the National League insofar as some particular NL team might end up playing in the World Series. If a team is far out of contention, especially a team in a small market that doesn't have some superstar player grabbing national headlines, you can bet that I'll pay little or no attention to them. Off the top of my head, the only members of the 2005 Brewers I could name would have been Sheets, Overbay, and Carlos Lee (Lee only because he had just been traded from an AL team; Overbay only because people on BBF had brought him up earlier in the season).

Leave a comment:

replied
    Just wondering, what else did you factor in to come up with your list, because I see that your rankings aren't based solely on WS; is that just your personal opinion?
    This is my personal opinion, using Win Shares as a big part in determining it. WS shows Jones being like 7th or 8th or somehthing like that which of course is ridiculous. But, I do agree with WS that Jones was overrated this past year. He was still great on defense, but it was kind of an off year out there for him, and his offense other than the HRs was nothing to write home about. He didn't hit many doubles or triples, didn't hit for a high BA, and didn't walk.

His BA was ten points below league average, his OBP was only two points above league. His SLG was good, but not enough to make up for the OBP and BA and make him an offensive force.

Ironically, this reminds me of your namesake, Ernie Banks. Horrible BA, horrible OBP, pretty good SLG but not good enough to make him an all time great hitter.
    Last edited by 538280; 01-15-2006, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    You're calling a team that finished at 500. a poor team, ElHalo?

Remember, most people took into account that Pierre was a lead-off hitter with that pitful OBP., so of course he's not going to be ranked well. Just because you think Pierre going to be good next year, doesn't mean he will. Same applies to the people that rank Sizemore and Clark. Still, make you bit of hypocrit to question people's logic for ranking Sizemore and Clark when you ranked Pierre so high after his season, Brannu.

E.Banks, don't forget about Pierre's poor arm. Even though he speed make up for his weak arm. Doesn't change the fact most runners will advance to 2B, 3B or home on a fly ball.
    Last edited by Evangelion; 01-15-2006, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    It's hard for me to do this, but I'm gonna bash Pierre right now. 83.3% of his career hits are singles. He's only had more than 50 walks in a season once in his career... as a leadoff man. His speed is his one asset. In the last four years, he has converted 37.8% of his bunts into hits, and he averages about 27 infield hits per year over that timespan. His career SB% is 73.5%. Other than that, he is near or below league average in most offensive statistics and his fielding is nothing to write home about. As I write this, I realize the only reason I put him at #9 is because he's a Cub.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    I have no shame in admitting: I'd never heard of Brady Clark before seeing his name on this thread (don't pay close enough attention to the NL to know every single starter on poor teams), and after looking at the guy, I can honestly say that I don't understand why he's worth mentioning.

Leave a comment:

• Brannu
    replied
    Well, the instructions say to vote for the top 10 current center fielders on either their 2005 performance, last 3-4 years, or career. I don't see how you could downgrade a guy who was an elite player at his position because he may never do as well as he did. If this was a poll for Future Top 10 Center Fielders, then that would have to be considered, but as is, I believe Brady Clark and Grady Sizemore were two of the top 10 center fielders of 2005.
    They were ... I think I'm still making my not so loud promotion of Juan Pierre.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    Well, the instructions say to vote for the top 10 current center fielders on either their 2005 performance, last 3-4 years, or career. I don't see how you could downgrade a guy who was an elite player at his position because he may never do as well as he did. If this was a poll for Future Top 10 Center Fielders, then that would have to be considered, but as is, I believe Brady Clark and Grady Sizemore were two of the top 10 center fielders of 2005.

Leave a comment:

• Brannu
    replied
    I'm still amazed how one good season gets players so much love. If Sizemore and Clark have sub-par seasons next year ... they won't be on this least at the end of the season. I hope Sizemore does, as I'm diehard Indian fan ... but, there are many players who have had great breakout seasons that never came back around.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    Originally posted by 538280
    1.Jim Edmonds
    2.Grady Sizemore
    3.Andruw Jones
    4.Brady Clark
    5.Vernon Wells
    5.Johnny Damon
    6.Carlos Beltran
    7.Ken Griffey Jr.
    8.Aaron Rowand
    9.Mark Kotsay
    10.Kenny Lofton
    Just wondering, what else did you factor in to come up with your list, because I see that your rankings aren't based solely on WS; is that just your personal opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    1-Jim Edmonds
    2-Andruw Jones
    3-Torri Hunter
    4-Johnny Damon
    5-Carlos BEltran
    6-Brady Clark
    7-Grady Sizemore
    8-Ken Griffey Jr
    9-Vernon Wells