Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElHalo
    Either way, if you're ever in New York, and ask someone on the street how to get to "Hue-ston Street," you'll definitely get laughed at, and possibly mugged (tourists are seen as very easy marks, since a lot of what you need to know to live in New York is very specific street knowledge that takes at least a year of constant living to pick up... another dead giveaway is looking up, real NY'ers might glance up at a new billboard atop a building, but tourists look up CONSTANTLY in amaze at all the pretty skyscrapers).

So always remember; when in New York, it's "HOUSE-ton" street, with the emphasis on the first syllable.
    There's also the NoHo area (North of Houston St). I think there's a Puck Bldg at Broadway just north of Houston St, and I remember there having been a Stereo Warehouse right next to it.

Anyway, I've always pronounced it "Hyoo-ston St", and don't remember having been mugged or "taken for any rides" by cab drivers from the airport. If you know where Union Square is, MSG, the Chrysler Bldg, which direction Lady Liberty (Statue of Liberty) faces (it faces Brooklyn with its back to New Jersey), you should be OK. Also, the accent is often a dead giveaway that someone's a tourist.

As to NYers, tourists often talk about "Ground Zero", but those who've been around know that Phillipe Petit scaled the former World Trade Center on a high-wire rope on a windy day, tied between the rooves of the two structures 1/4 mile in the sky. I forgot the name of the mountain climber who'd scaled it using the window-washer things on the outside. Both feats occurred in the 1970s.

Now then, can we at least have a teensy bit of baseball info here, at least what the "Hyooston Astros" will do this upcoming season, so as to keep it relevant? I'd normally close topics such as this, but it is at least a baseball city you're referring to.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 01-16-2006, 07:08 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
      "House-ton, we have a problem"
      Yeah, no Roger Clemens.
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

No problem Matt, but I am surprised you haven't shut down this thread. God for you, you're making progress.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
          No problem Matt, but I am surprised you haven't shut down this thread. God for you, you're making progress.
          Now let's see if anyone here at least decides to discuss a *TEENSY BIT* of baseball here. I'm the only one who's mentioned anyone in baseball (The Rocket, of all people (re Hyoo-ston)), and I'm the only one who's mentioned that this is at least a baseball city.

Now let's see if someone else can add some kind of baseball thing. At least make it look half-decent.

As to progress ... let's see. I should just turn around and see if there's any baseball content here when I return. If not, hmmmmmmmmm.

-Evil Yankee fan

Comment

Hue-stun is how it is pronounced.... people from New York and New England need to learn how to talk, without those annoying accents...

Another reason I hate the Yankees and a great majority of their obnoxious fans (there ya go Mattingly, got some baseball in )
            Last edited by Astro; 01-16-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
              Hue-stun is how it is pronounced.... people from New York and New England need to learn how to talk, without those annoying accents...

Another reason I hate the Yankees and a great majority of their obnoxious fans (there ya go Mattingly, got some baseball in )
              OK, now that we've finally got some *BASEBALL* into it, let's see if we can get some intelligence into it. :

BTW, I've also pronounced it "Hyoo-ston" for awhile. Can't be that strange, now can I?

LET'S GO CARDS! (there's some more baseball for ya!)

Comment

[Hyoost'n] is the correct pronunciation according to my trusty old Webster's. If you're from way East Texas, it will come out as three syllables instead of two You will hear [who-stun] from Brits as well. I asked my wife and maw-in-law who are originally from Long Island how they say it in NYC, but as usual I tuned them out as soon as they started talking so I really have no clue about Houston in the Big Apple. As soon as someone from the NE can tell me why it's pronounced [grin-itch] in Connecticut, I'll worry about why we talk funny down here in the Lone Star State

Oh yeah, baseball, uh, Craig Biggio is from Smithville, New York, maybe he knows all the little differences in the word 'Houston.'
                Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                Astros Daily

Comment

i remember when my alma mater Towson University made the March Madness run - everyone had trouble pronouncing it

Tow (as in towel)-son

Comment

All I think of when I see this thread is the commercial with the cab driver somewhere in Asia listening to a country song and singing, "Houston, Houston..."; then a bus rides by with a huge picture of Yao Ming on the side.

What's this have to do with baseball? Well, Yao Ming was in a commercial with Yogi Berra a few years ago --- "Yo! - YAO!" "Yo! - YO-GI!"
                    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by PopTop
                      Oh yeah, baseball, uh, Craig Biggio is from Smithville, New York, maybe he knows all the little differences in the word 'Houston.'
                      Actually, Biggio is from Smithtown, not Smithville, which is one town over from where I'm living currently. And "Greenwich" is not reall "grin-itch," but rather "gren-itch," with the first syllable rhyming with "when."

It is odd that Biggio played in Houston... I would have expected a Long Islander to have wanted to stay in the country...
                      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Actually, Biggio is from Smithtown, not Smithville, which is one town over from where I'm living currently. And "Greenwich" is not reall "grin-itch," but rather "gren-itch," with the first syllable rhyming with "when."

It is odd that Biggio played in Houston... I would have expected a Long Islander to have wanted to stay in the country...
                        Grin-itch does rhyme with when.... doesnt it? lol

Grin... When (sounds like win)... rhymes...

Baseball related in the Yankees havent won a pennant since way back in 2003

Comment

So now Hyoo-ston is in another country? Mexico? Sudan?

Of all the Long Islanders who went away, I'd say that Yaz was the one I'd have most wanted as a Yankee.

Comment

Originally posted by Astro
                            Grin-itch does rhyme with when.... doesnt it? lol

Grin... When (sounds like win)... rhymes...

Baseball related in the Yankees havent won a pennant since way back in 2003
                            Oh boy, the rainbow 'Stros fans getting all hyped. Man, once you give some from HYOO-STON a taste of success, they don't know what to do with themselves.

Anyway, why didn't Pujols hit another one out? Would've been nice seeing the Cards in there. Of course, the Yanks would've been even better.

Oh, did I tell you that the ChiSox celebrated Game 4 in HYOO-STON's infield? How's that for baseball?

Comment

The city of Houston in named after Sam Houston and takes on the pronunciation that was used in his name. Houston St. is named after someone else, that pronunciated his name that way (House-ton). Of all things, I learned that while in NYC last year as a tourist!
                              Now if the Astros could ever put a decent hitting team together with the talented pitching staff we seem to always have, I believe we'd win WS one of these days.
                              I personally do not believe the "Rocket" will play anywhere but Houston if he does play. Keep in mind the Astros drafted his son this past year. Perhaps come back and play on the same team as Koby if they call him up in Sept. Another option would be to come back as a coach. If I'm not mistaken, Nolan Ryan is going to be joining the Astros organization in some aspect this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Oh, did I tell you that the ChiSox celebrated Game 4 in HYOO-STON's infield? How's that for baseball?
                                Didn't have to - I was there and not too happy about it. However, I won't sit here and talk about someone getting a taste of success and not knowing what to do with it. If it weren't for Texas baseball players, your Yankees would sure have a LOT fewer pennants.

This past year when in NY, my wife and I went to a Yankee game and enjoyed it, folks were a lot more polite than expected - then again I'm not one to act like an arrogant S.O.B!

It is true that our hometown team (Astros) have been very lacking in the championship department, even with some teams that they have fielded were probably amongst the best in baseball at the time, just that :grouchy happens. You ask many Astro fans that have knowledge of baseball and nearly 100% would have told you back in May it would be a cold day in :grouchy before the 'Stros make it to the WS. They had some things go their way but give credit where credit is due.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X