Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astro
    Grin-itch does rhyme with when.... doesnt it? lol

Grin... When (sounds like win)... rhymes...
    Um... if "when" and "win" rhyme where you come from, um, well, then, I guess. I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone rhyme those two words before.

Baseball related in the Yankees havent won a pennant since way back in 2003
    As long as the Red Sox don't win any more, that's fine with me.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
      Either way, if you're ever in New York, and ask someone on the street how to get to "Hue-ston Street," you'll definitely get laughed at, and possibly mugged (tourists are seen as very easy marks, since a lot of what you need to know to live in New York is very specific street knowledge that takes at least a year of constant living to pick up... another dead giveaway is looking up, real NY'ers might glance up at a new billboard atop a building, but tourists look up CONSTANTLY in amaze at all the pretty skyscrapers).
      Let's hear it for the rotten apple
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        Let's hear it for the rotten apple
        Not sure why New York gets such a bad reputation. The most dangerous city I've ever been in resides out there with you in the midwest. No matter what city you go to, muggings and street crime are a part of the landscape; you just have to know how to avoid them.

And anyway... safe = boring, and who wasn't to be bored?

On the baseball related side... everyone talks about how the area around Yankee Stadium is dangerous. It's not. At all. By any stretch of the imagination. I used to spend LOADS of time there, since the Bronx County Supreme Court is two blocks away. It's actually a very nice area. I mean, it's not all gentrified for the tourists the way, say, Times Square has become, but it's a perfectly safe place to take your kids and go catch a ballgame, without wondering whether anybody is going to get stabbed. Maybe it's just gotten better in recent years, but its reputation as a crime box is entirely undeserved.
        Last edited by ElHalo; 01-16-2006, 08:02 PM.
        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
          Not sure why New York gets such a bad reputation. The most dangerous city I've ever been in resides out there with you in the midwest. No matter what city you go to, muggings and street crime are a part of the landscape; you just have to know how to avoid them.
          Maybe you don't know "how to avoid them" there.

<And anyway... safe = boring, and who wasn't to be bored?>

So Chicago? muggings are "most dangerous", but NY ones are cute and "boring"?
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by tadlock11
            Houston St. is named after someone else, that pronunciated his name that way (House-ton). Of all things, I learned that while in NYC last year as a tourist!
            And in many examples, of which i'm not prepared to give you right now, people get lazy and drop letters from words. The spelling may well have originated as Houseston.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's a possibility.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Well, I've found something of use here (for once). I'd forgotten that their former mayor, Lee Brown (1997), was former NYC Mayor David Dinkins' (1989-93) police chief (he's mentioned under "20th Century").

Here it goes:

Houston, Texas
              Houston is the largest city in the state of Texas and the fourth-largest in the United States. The city is also large in geographic area; it covers more than 600 square miles and is the county seat of Harris County—the third most populous in the country. Houston is one of 11 U.S. global cities as it is ranked "Gamma World City" by the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network.

As of the 2000 U.S. Census, Houston had a total population of 1.9 million (though a July 1, 2004 U.S. Census estimate placed the city's population at more than 2 million). The city is the heart of the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown metropolitan area, which is the the largest cultural and economic center of the Gulf Coast region and is the seventh-largest metropolitan area in the U.S. with a population of 5.2 million in ten counties.

Houston is world renowned for its energy (particularly oil) and aeronautics industries and for its ship channel. The Port of Houston is the sixth-largest port in the world. It is the busiest port in the United States in foreign tonnage and second in overall tonnage. Second only to New York City in Fortune 500 headquarters, Houston is the seat of the internationally-renowned Texas Medical Center, which contains the world's largest concentration of research and healthcare institutions.

Known for the vibrancy of its visual and performing arts, Houston's Theater District is ranked second in the country in the number of theatre seats in a concentrated downtown area per capita and has world-class visual and performing arts organizations. The city is also close to sunny beaches as well as one of the United States' largest concentrations of pleasure boats and tourist attractions.

Officially, Houston is nicknamed the "Space City" as it is home to NASA's Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, where Mission Control Center is located (because of this, "Houston" was the first word spoken on the moon).

Houston's founding

In the mid-1800s, two brothers who were New York real estate promoters, John Kirby Allen and Augustus Chapman Allen, sought a location where they could begin building "a great center of government and commerce." In August 1836, they purchased 6,642 acres (27 km&#178 of land from T. F. L. Parrot, John Austin's widow, for $9,428. The Allen brothers named their town after Sam Houston and eventually persuaded the Texas Legislature to designate the site as the temporary capital of the new Republic of Texas.
              On the baseball end, here's another Wikipedia link on another Rocket that's been re-launched somewhere in Houston, TX.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                There's also the NoHo area (North of Houston St). I think there's a Puck Bldg at Broadway just north of Houston St, and I remember there having been a Stereo Warehouse right next to it.

Thanks.
                I know Soho is a registered trademark and cannot be used elsewhere but I do not believe Noho is in Manhattan because Here in LA they have been trying to push North Hollywood off as Noho the LA version of Soho.

To get back on subject Texans have to screw up the pronicuation of most words
                Last edited by Jake83; 01-17-2006, 03:57 AM.

Comment

In LA there is a suburb called La Canada which is a Spanish name and with an accent on the n which makes it sound nothing like the country pronicuation but people not from Southern California or non-Spanish speakers usually can not tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond

So Chicago? muggings are "most dangerous", but NY ones are cute and "boring"?
                    Not Chicago, Chicago's fine. I lived in Detroit for six years.

In Detroit at the time, the big things were those Tigers of Cecil Fielder, Rob Deer, Pete Incaviglia, and Mickey Tettleton (I mean, custom designed to drive me nuts); the Pistons of Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars; and arson.

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by PopTop
                      You will hear [who-stun] from Brits as well.'
                      Uh.... not all of them you won't. Hyoo-stun, buy as two syllables, if you catch my drift. Like the name Hugh, for example.
                      Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by BristolBoy
                        Uh.... not all of them you won't. Hyoo-stun, buy as two syllables, if you catch my drift. Like the name Hugh, for example.
                        My friend from Plymouth is staying here in Manila with us. I'll ask him to say Houston when he gets home from his hot date.

I'll keep you posted.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

There is a small town in Ohio (about an hour northwest of Dayton) that pronounces it like they do in New York.
                          Lima is pronounced like the bean, not the Peruvian city.
                          Versailes is not pronounced like the important treaty city, but Ver-Sales.
                          Russia is Rooshy.
                          Cincinnati is Ken-tuk-ee
                          Indiana is only a rumor.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by tadlock11
                            The city of Houston in named after Sam Houston and takes on the pronunciation that was used in his name. Houston St. is named after someone else, that pronunciated his name that way (House-ton). Of all things, I learned that while in NYC last year as a tourist!
                            According to this site, the street in NY is named after a former Georgia politician, William Houstoun.

Since Houston, TX and Houston St., NY, were both named after different people who pronounce it differently, they are both correct.

Bing a NYer, whenever I'm in Texas I pronounce it How-stun. It seems to get a rise out of the locals.

Comment

Rumor has it....

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                              Indiana is only a rumor.
                              Hoosiers are among the woild's woist at pronunskiation.
                              Houston is Who-stun
                              Nuclear is nookular
                              Wash is warsh
                              Rinse is wrench
                              My town is Indenapples
                              Boosh is the President, or a shrubbery
                              Galveston is pronounced with the accent on the "vest"
                              Carmel's first syllable is accented like the candy
                              Russiaville is Rooshavull
                              Libary is where books are
                              Chimbley is where smoke goes
                              A raffle is for huntin' squirrels

But back to baseball, is there a team on Lawn Giland, NY?
                              Last edited by trosmok; 01-17-2006, 07:41 AM.
                              Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Back a few years ago a rich man moved up to Vermont from Massachusetts and decided to run for Senate because he knew what Vermonters needed more than the Vermonters ourselves did. He was outed as a carpetbagger when asked to pronounce the name of the little town just north of our state capital, Montpelier (pronounced mon' PEEL yer -- most VTers don't pronounce the 'T") -- the little town of Calais. He said, of course, "kah-LAY", and was soundly laughed at. In VT, Calais rhymes with "palace".

Incidentally -- HYOOstun.

On a baseball note, the Vermont Green Mountaineers (pronounced Maon' neers) play in the summer in Mon' peelyer. I plan to go up and see them this coming summer.
                                --Annie
                                Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                                Remember Yellowdog
                                ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X