Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Park avenue west

Houston owner Drayton McLane visited NYC and went looking for a condo to buy on the upper west side of Manhattan. The real estate agent showed him a three bedroom, two bath, 1400 s.f. condo in a beautiful building with a magnificent view of Central Park. Astros owner asked the price, and the agent replied $2.2million. McLane said "Is this all there is? Hell, I got bathrooms back home in Texas that are bigger than this whole place!" To which the agent replied, "You probably need them."
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn
      According to this site, the street in NY is named after a former Georgia politician, William Houstoun.

Since Houston, TX and Houston St., NY, were both named after different people who pronounce it differently, they are both correct.

Bing a NYer, whenever I'm in Texas I pronounce it How-stun. It seems to get a rise out of the locals.
      Thanks, I think that pretty much sums up this thread.

Comment

Accents exist solely to be made fun of. Texas, Britain, New York, Boston, all you people talk all wrong. And none of you seem to realize it...

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C
          Accents exist solely to be made fun of. Texas, Britain, New York, Boston, all you people talk all wrong. And none of you seem to realize it...

But some of us spell better than others... colour and humour, for example.

Thing is though, I've gotten so used to spelling things in 'Ameriglish' I actually had to think where to put the extra u's!
          Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83
            I know Soho is a registered trademark and cannot be used elsewhere but I do not believe Noho is in Manhattan because Here in LA they have been trying to push North Hollywood off as Noho the LA version of Soho.

To get back on subject Texans have to screw up the pronicuation of most words
            How could "SoHo" be copyrighted? It's also been adopted by consultants using small business machines. With NYers, it's "South of Houston" (aka, "HYOO-sten"). With the people buying small business copiers, billing software and the like, it's "Small Office/Home Office", and is also spelled "SoHo".

The other two popular street-based acronyms in Manhattan would be NoHo, which as mentioned earlier, is North of HYOO-sten, and "TriBeCa". This is a "Triangular" area of lower Manhattan just north of City Hall, which itself is adjacent to the Manhattan side of the famous Brooklyn Bridge.

Anyway, "Bethune" and "Canal" Streets are two others, and Canal Street leads to the Manhattan Bridge is is the epicenter of Manhattan's "Chinatown". Also, actor Robert DeNiro has some film studio and a restaurant there, Nobu, which is a Japanese sushi restaurant.

I'm too pooped to figure anything baseball-related about this (already mentioned Clemens), but are there any minor league or college teams which use acronyms in their names? I'd be interested in hearing of this.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Interestingly, if you live amongst people from the same area, there's no such thing as an accent. I thought an accent only existed if someone from elsewhere visited.

You say "coffee", I say "caw-fee", etc.

Now then, what the heck do people say at a ballpark when they order food and such? If someone hits a 450 footer, is that "pahking it over the Monstah", as the Beantowners would say? Dinger to one may be longball to another. Wouldn't mind hearing how folks enunciate stuff during an ordinary ballgame. Then again, some games are far more than ordinary, but that's another story.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by trosmok
                Wash is warsh

That is the DC pronicuation of Wash like Warshington DC

Comment

Thats also how old lady Bill Plaschke says it... I hate that guy, and the LA all over your sig brought him to my mind.

Comment

Thats also how old lady Bill Plaschke says it... I hate that guy, and the LA all over your sig brought him to my mind.

Plaschke is a great writer because he brings emotions to people like TJ Simers

Comment

I don't read his columns or anything, but I watch Around the Horn alot, and he is a tremendous wind bag.

Comment

Oral is a lubricant

Yeah, folks around here add extra "R"s at every opportunity, like gararge, and my favorite: "He wus squart down like one uh them ayrabs whut wurship arllahr."
                        Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Plaschke is a great writer because he brings emotions to people like TJ Simers
                          Both of them are the reason I quit reading the LA Times for a while.
                          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

If you mean that those of us from D.C. and the surrounding area pronicuate the city's name with an "r" before the "sh", that's dead wrong. It's pronicuated as it's spelled in these parts.
                            Last edited by Bob Hannah; 01-23-2006, 09:27 PM. Reason: mispelling ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
                              If you mean that those of us from D.C. and the surrounding area pronicuate the city's name with ar "r" before the "sh", that's dead wrong. It's pronicuated as it's spelled in these parts.
                              Yeah, spelling advice from a man who spells his own name backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Yeah, spelling advice from a man who spells his own name backwards.
                                Not taking any chances with my yet unknown intellectual capacities at birth, Mom and Dad decided to play it safe...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X