The 2007 Baseball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by otis89 View Post
    I could rant about the Cubs, too. Petco Park is a pitcher's park, despite the Padres hitting 5 home runs in the first two games. Someone obviously hasn't told the Cubs that because they keep trying to hit everything out of the park. They're probably going to get swept tonight.
    I think that was the first time the Padres have hit more than 2 homers in a home game.

Comment

• Reds lose 10-4 in 10. Yes, 10-4 in extras, 8-2 in the 10th.

I guess Weathers (6 ER) wanted to fit in.

Just trying for some humor out of a thoroughly depressing bullpen.
      (fantasy football)
      JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
      DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
      JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

• But don't blame Junior - his 11th homerun and #574 (8th all time). What a great player.

Comment

• Through 5 innings tonight, the Pirates have walked 8 Redsa and hit one more. The Reds have plated an amazing 2 runs from this. The runs were from bases loaded walks. The Reds loaded the bases in 3 straight innings.
          Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-26-2007, 06:42 PM.
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• A must see for anyone emotionally hurt by the Reds' bullpen.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-azBP1rXmY&NR=1
            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• Bobby Livingston had pitched 6 scoreless innings in Colorado without a strikeout. I wonder when the last time a pitcher went 6+ innings scoreless without a strikeout.

Comment

• If you remember Bobby Livingston (read above post), apparently he isn't good enough for the majors and the Reds sent him down. Now, what I take from this is either a) the Reds don't want to win, b) the Reds don't trust Livingston, or c) Homer Bailey is coming. If I had to choose which one, I would choose A.

Comment

• Notice anything weird about the top of the 4th between the Reds and Cards

E Encarnacion walked.
                  S Hatteberg walked, E Encarnacion to second.
                  D Ross walked, E Encarnacion to third, S Hatteberg to second.
                  J Castro struck out looking.
                  A Harang struck out swinging.
                  N Hopper walked, E Encarnacion scored, S Hatteberg to third, D Ross to second.
                  T Johnson relieved T Wellemeyer.
                  S Hatteberg scored, D Ross to third, N Hopper to second on wild pitch by T Johnson.
                  J Hamilton struck out swinging.

If you haven't figured out, the Reds scored 2 runs without putting a ball in play.

Comment

• I'm curious how you folks feel about closers coming back for the save after a big 1/2 inning.

On the road at ChiTown's Cell, Mariano Rivera came in for a 5-out save after setup man Kyle Farnsworth couldn't get the job done. He came in with a 4-2 score and ended the 8th with a 4-3 score (groundout RBI got the 3B runner home).

Anyway, in the Yankee 9th, on 2 outs, A-Rod hit a slam, followed by two more runs on a single, RBI triple and an error to score the 3B runner. The score's now 10-3.

Torre sent Mo out to complete the save. Would you folks, if you were manager, have sent him out or put in a mopup guy? If yes or no, would it depend upon whether your bullpen was spent, or if it was the first game of a 3- or 4-game series? Please describe any situation you'd use to determine your answer.

Thx.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• As you may know, the Reds have a horrible bullpen. Now Jerry Narron, the manager of the Reds has brought out David Weathers for 4+ out saves more than any other team (except Seattle who is tied with J.J. Putz). I can perfectly understand when a manager will bring out his closer in the 8th if he can't trust the rest of the pen. And Jerry started his practice in May which he realized how bad the bullpen is.

All David Weathers
                      4/10 @ARI-Pitches 1 2/3, picks up loss (came in a tied game in 10th)
                      5/6 vs. COL-Pitches 1 1/3, picks up a save (came in w/ runner on 3rd, lead 7-3)
                      5/10 vs. HOU-Pitches 1 2/3, picks up a save (came in w/ bases loaded, lead 9-5)
                      5/15 @SD-Pitches 3, picks up win (came in a tied game in 10th)
                      5/19 @CLE-Pitches 1 2/3, picks up save (came in w/ runners on 1st and 2nd, lead 7-4
                      5/25 vs. PIT-Pitches 1 1/3, picks up loss (came in tied game in 9th)
                      6/1 @COL-Pitches 1 1/3, picks up save (came in w/ runners on 1st and 2nd, lead 4-1)
                      6/3 @COL-Pitches 2, BS (came in w/ bases loaded, lead 9-5)

Comment

• Mets

What do you guys think of the Mets this year? I think they are gonna go all the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefaint287 View Post
                          What do you guys think of the Mets this year? I think they are gonna go all the way.
                          I agree - now that Carlos Delgado is warming up.

Comment

• Went to my second game of this year today.

2 games
                            21 innings
                            10 frostbitten toes
                            2 sunburnt arms
                            3 CDs
                            1 win

Comment

• Interesting story on two Reds relief pitchers.

http://www.thestate.com/188/story/87504.html

Comment

• Finally Barry Bonds goes deep.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X