Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
    Finally Barry Bonds goes deep.
    Against Josh Towers... Can't say that it was unlikely.
    WAMCO!

Comment

• Fans Are Stupid

I'm listening to "Extra Innings" on the Reds Radio Network and fans are calling in and saying the only current Red to have multiple 100 Run, 100 RBI, and 40 HR seasons for the Reds is not a run producer. Come On.
      Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• The worst feeling in the world

As a fan, I'm listening to the Reds and I don't even remember what inning it is right now since it has been so long since it began but Homer Bailey lets the first two runners on (tying runners in a 5-3 game) and that's OK. He's pitched well so far and he got us deep into the game. Gary Majewski comes in and gives up a hit to load the bases. Well, I still feel good. Well, Majewski goes 3-1 on the batter before Guerrero and I have this horrible feeling that the Reds are going to lose. And what happens, Majewski walks in a run (now 5-4), Guerrero hits a liner scoring two (now 6-5 Angels). And now Stanton is in and I have no clue whats going on except that Jose Molina just stole a base (9th career) with a 4 run lead. So a recap, my team had a 5-3 lead and I knew they would lose and they didn't disappoint (well, they did but you know what I mean). Still batting are the Angels. Inning over, I wonder how many stayed for the 7th inning stretch.
        Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• Jeff Brantley: Why did he walk that guy (Jack Cust)?
          Marty Brennaman: Ask Kyle Lohse.
          Jeff Brantley: He's too far away.

Is it possible to rename this thread "The nascarfn5 rants about the Reds Thread"

Comment

• I'm wondering if Prince can pass A-Rod or if either can pass Maris.
            Last edited by Macker; 06-20-2007, 07:28 PM. Reason: Removed plug for web site

Comment

• Originally posted by thefaint287 View Post
              What do you guys think of the Mets this year? I think they are gonna go all the way.
              They'll definitely have to get out of their June Swoon/Funk. Losing about 14 of their last 18 isn't a very good sign. I think they're helped that they play in the NL East (Least?), so that's to their advantage. However, a few seasons ago, the Padres won the NL West, but got promptly swept by the Cards, who couldn't possibly have lost a single game.

I'd say that Glavine has to start winning some more (getting to #300 would be nice), and Beltran's hitting has to improve. A .481 OPS in the last 7 days isn't something you'd expect from a #3 hitter making $17m/yr.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3971

Jose Reyes is doing great. He should be helping the team greatly, not carrying them offensively. Like any other team looking to contend, it's all about the pitching, then the 1-6 in the lineup, and the 7,8 guys doing OK. Nobody looks at the #9 guy (pitcher) in the NL.

Oh yeah, no more 4-error games. That one recently wasn't anything to write home about. Then again, I've seen a few recent games from one certain cross-town team to the Mets that haven't been worthy of writing home about either.

No shame in losing to Johan Santana, but allowing 9 runs isn't exactly my idea of a great game. If it were 3-1 or so, I think that would be a more optomistic loss.

Mets' 1st half 2007 schedule

You've gotta take care of Oakland and St Louis at Shea. 2 of 3 in both would (or at least 4 of 6) would help bring back the winning ways. Top teams have to be beaten by playoff caliber teams, so I believe the next two series are good, then on the road to the division rival Phillies.

Keep up the faith and hope for more wins. Even ugly wins are better than pretty losses in the W-L column. Hopefully, more pretty wins than anything else, but take whatever you can get and scratch out more wins.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 06-22-2007, 04:15 AM.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarfn5 View Post
                I'm listening to "Extra Innings" on the Reds Radio Network and fans are calling in and saying the only current Red to have multiple 100 Run, 100 RBI, and 40 HR seasons for the Reds is not a run producer. Come On.
                Which player was this? I'm not sure about them, but in my book, you hit 100 RBI, 40 jacks and score 100 runs, you're an easy #3 hitter on most teams. I'd take that person as a Yankee any day of the week, given that he fields well. Hopefully, not a "quiet" run producer, only doing his thing whenever they're well ahead or too far behind and hitting solo HRs. Then again, not many solo dingers can be hit to drive in 100 runs. Those singles and doubles with RISP can do wonders for the RBI total!
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                  Which player was this? I'm not sure about them, but in my book, you hit 100 RBI, 40 jacks and score 100 runs, you're an easy #3 hitter on most teams. I'd take that person as a Yankee any day of the week, given that he fields well. Hopefully, not a "quiet" run producer, only doing his thing whenever they're well ahead or too far behind and hitting solo HRs. Then again, not many solo dingers can be hit to drive in 100 runs. Those singles and doubles with RISP can do wonders for the RBI total!
                  Mr. Adam Dunn, and he's not the #3 hitter (#4) understandably because that's Junior's spot. No one in Cincinnati seems to like him.

Comment

hes also one of the few guys who can slug under .500 with over 40 homers and K 200 times.

Comment

• ESPN.com has a stat known as the Beane Count. And the Reds are second in the NL so it makes me wonder if the formula is worthless. (Note: San Diego is 1st).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/beanecount

Comment

• Who would you rather have pitching right now

Team: Stuggling, unreliable pitching.

Pitcher A: 7-year veteran in the majors. Righthander. Has a career 4.84 ERA and 5.88 ERA in last 10 starts. Free Agent at end of year.

Pitcher B: In AAA, made 2 starts in majors (1-0, 1 K, 3.00 ERA). Lefthander. Sub 4.00 ERA in AAA (last start 0 R over 9 IP). Pitched 6 2/3 shutout baseball in Coors Field. Long-term future with organization.

Comment

Mr. Adam Dunn, and he's not the #3 hitter (#4) understandably because that's Junior's spot. No one in Cincinnati seems to like him.
                          Also, he is a notoriously horrible fielder.

Comment

• Two outs in the bottom of the 8th, runner on third, David Weathers (best RP on the team) on the mound and it starts raining. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

Why exactly don't people in Cincy like Adam Dunn? Is he a mean person or clubhouse cancer type of guy? Overly abrupt with the sports media? Or is it simply that his offense leaves a bit to be desired?
                              Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                              hes also one of the few guys who can slug under .500 with over 40 homers and K 200 times.
                              Adam Dunn slugged .490 in 2006, but is at .575 so far this season and slugged .540 in 2005. I wouldn't say that's all bad.

Yeah, those whiffs will do you in. He's almost at 100 right now. his BB:K ratio is pretty bad (38:98 so far), and he's scheduled to have another near 200 K season.

Where does he bat in the lineup?

Comment

Why exactly don't people in Cincy like Adam Dunn? Is he a mean person or clubhouse cancer type of guy? Overly abrupt with the sports media? Or is it simply that his offense leaves a bit to be desired?
                                People don't like the fact that he strikes out a lot (98 Ks). They hate his defense (true). Plus they don't like the fact that he can't hit a single with a runner on 2nd (23 RBI in 66 AB). But the fact remains, he is the biggest run producer on the team (leads team in runs and RBI). He's kinda treated like ARod in NY. Thats the best I can do right now.

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                                Adam Dunn slugged .490 in 2006, but is at .575 so far this season and slugged .540 in 2005. I wouldn't say that's all bad.

Yeah, those whiffs will do you in. He's almost at 100 right now. his BB:K ratio is pretty bad (38:98 so far), and he's scheduled to have another near 200 K season.

Where does he bat in the lineup?
                                Dunn bats 4th against righties and 5th against lefties. Though this is only for two weeks. Before June 12th, he was batting everywhere. I really don't mind Dunn's strikeouts. The whole team strikes out a lot. Jamie Moyer had 8 Ks over 6 innings last night (5.47 K/9 in 2007). The top-strikeout game in the AL is Kelvin Escobar's 14 against the Reds. Cole Hamels' 15 Ks against the Reds are second in the NL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X