The 2007 Baseball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Loretta with a walk-off!

This isn't the Astros' year, but Biggio's 3,000th hit coming in the midst of the Astros winning two games in a row with a home run in the bottom of the ninth and two out is something magical.
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• Originally posted by homercles View Post
      I'm wondering if Prince can pass A-Rod or if either can pass Maris.
      I was just perusing this thread, and I wanted to give you props for this post. Normally, it wouldn't make much sense to reference a guy who's 7th on a record list, but the fact that Maris' number is still a benchmark to some shows great respect because who knows how legit the top 6 are? Some argue to this day that Maris is still the true single-season record holder. I don't know if you had that in mind when you posted that, but I'm glad you did.

Comment

• I think it's more of surpassing 60 homeruns than Maris' record nowadays.
        Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarfn5 View Post
          I think it's more of surpassing 60 homeruns than Maris' record nowadays.
          60 is definitely the new 50 now*. 50 was a rare accomplishment prior to the strike (18 through 1994), but more than half of those feats (21 out of 39) have occured in the past 12 seasons, and two more look like they may do it this year.

*=2, mayyybe 3 60-HR hitters did it clean.

Comment

• Jays starter Shaun Marcum started the season as a reliever and posted a 1-2 record, with a 6.06 ERA in 13 games. After Victor Zambrano went down Marcum has posted started ten games, has a 3-0 record and a very good 2.02 ERA. He attributes his success to Sal Fasano, who was sent to the minors when Zaun got healthy: http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor

I wish it was Phillips who got sent down and thank God for Marcum and McGowan breaking out this year.

Comment

• So Bronson Arroyo hits another home run, his first that is not off of Cubs pitcher, first not off of Rusch, first not in April
              Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• The padres were down 5-1 and are launching a major 2 out comeback. The score is now 5-4 ATL. It's on ESPN.

EDIT: Never mind. Comeback over. Still, a good game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                  The padres were down 5-1 and are launching a major 2 out comeback. The score is now 5-4 ATL. It's on ESPN.

EDIT: Never mind. Comeback over. Still, a good game.
                  Your right, I was hoping that the Friars would pull the come from behind win out. That game ending pitch in my opinion looked a tad bit low.
                  Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

• Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
                    Your right, I was hoping that the Friars would pull the come from behind win out. That game ending pitch in my opinion looked a tad bit low.
                    Low and away, the ESPN pitch tracker or whatever showed the ball to be WAY off of the strike zone.

Comment

• So I'm watching Sportcenter's Top Ten Bloopers for the first half of the baseball season and the Reds ended up in #1 and #2. #2 was Chad Moeller's throw back to the pitcher that hit a Phillie in the head (I think they said David Ross but that's wrong). And #1 was our honorable mayor throwing out the first pitch. Everyone seems to insult my team.

Comment

• Some Notes: [email protected]

The Reds started their 5th consecutive road trip of 10+ days (still one more in Sept), no other team has more than 4 road trips in all of 10+ days. There is only one National League game on Thursday (guess who played it). I'm also wondering if there is another team that goes 14 straight days without a game at home. I'm trying to figure out if I've ever seen a team lead off with back-to-back homers, eliminate the first two batters, the Reds win. I'm impressed with the speed of the Mets but just about as disappointed with the ability to hold runners on by the Reds. David Ross has the best arm in the league behind the plate and he could do nothing as the pitcher stole second (Ross had 50% CS before the game).

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarfn5 View Post
                          So I'm watching Sportcenter's Top Ten Bloopers for the first half of the baseball season and the Reds ended up in #1 and #2. #2 was Chad Moeller's throw back to the pitcher that hit a Phillie in the head (I think they said David Ross but that's wrong). And #1 was our honorable mayor throwing out the first pitch. Everyone seems to insult my team.
                          Where did Ryan Zimmerman losing the ball in his shirt rank?
                          CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

• So today's my birthday and my friend sends me an e-card. I thought it was Birthday Greeting but it just happened to insult me to the extent one can. And yes, it is baseball related.

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/ecar...dce8QHycf4chyA

I also went to a Dayton Dragons (Low A Reds) game with my grandparents. So manager Donnie Scott got ejected during the game. In the process of arguing, he managed to throw 3rd base and cover home in a pile of dirt. Well, my grandparents decided to leave during the 7th inning stretch. Well, I had my radio with me and belive me, I've never seen a grand slam in person but dagone it, the Dragons hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 7th. My grandfather just lost his birthday present (coming up soon) for not staying.
                            Last edited by redlegsfan21; 07-14-2007, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Some Thoughts and Facts

Jose Reyes has led off 8 innings in the past two ballgames, that is astonding. Also, Jose Reyes ended up being the first person caught stealing by Javier Valentin. I think my grandpa could steal on Valentin. If the Mets would like, they could send a left-hander who can't throw 5 feet and still beat the Reds, just an idea. Plus, I've started the count on blown games. Also, the Reds will be working with only 24 players on the active roster, I thought you had to have 25 men.
                              Last edited by redlegsfan21; 07-14-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Bartman at [email protected]

Well, apparently a fan caught a ball in the outfield that Norris Hopper was about to catch which could have been called a homerun. But apparently, it was fan interference, Miguel Cabrera was called out instead of a double. Now I only heard the radio account but apparently the fan was a Reds fan and almost cost the Reds to give up a homerun or a double. And this play had no affect on the game since the Marlins won 10-2.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X