• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The season is over in LA. Abandon ship
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

It's only one game Mojo.

But it was a CG 2-Hitter by Ben Sheets "one game".
      AL East Champions: 1981 1982
      AL Pennant: 1982
      NL Central Champions: 2011
      NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

I keep seeing the Cubs picked to finish high. Baseball Prospectus has them winning the NL Central. They were the worst team in baseball last year, and the only changes I'm aware of are a healthy Derrek Lee, and the Soriano signing. Were there more transactions that I'm not aware of, and if not, how could those two players make such a huge swing in their fortunes?
        "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
          I keep seeing the Cubs picked to finish high. Baseball Prospectus has them winning the NL Central. They were the worst team in baseball last year, and the only changes I'm aware of are a healthy Derrek Lee, and the Soriano signing. Were there more transactions that I'm not aware of, and if not, how could those two players make such a huge swing in their fortunes?
          DeRosa was signed as well, but I doubt he'll do much. Ted Lily and Marquis will probably be improvements over the guys they had pitching in those spots last year.

Im also guessing they think Prior will have a decent season.
          Originally posted by Domenic
          The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

No way is Cabrera ahead by a lot. He's ahead, but the gap is not large. As for Wright, if you were a GM, and you had your choice between drafting Wright or A-Rod (I'm assuming you're referring to A-Rod as the other 3B in the top three), who would you choose? Wright had a better year than A-Rod last year by every metric, and he's more than seven years younger. The smart pick is to take Wright, every time.
            For this season A-Rod, but for a "keeper league" wright because he's younger.
            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Is it just me or was that error that was charged to A-Rod today, not really an error. I don't think any other thirdbasemen gets that called an error. Might just be the Homer in me.
              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
                Is it just me or was that error that was charged to A-Rod today, not really an error. I don't think any other thirdbasemen gets that called an error. Might just be the Homer in me.
                That was an obvious error in my eyes. Either way, he should have caught it.
                Originally posted by Domenic
                The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

For this season A-Rod, but for a "keeper league" wright because he's younger.
                  I was thinking more in keeper league terms, so I believe we're in agreement.

Anyone catch Manny falling down playing the ball off the wall? He's priceless.
                  Last edited by AstrosFan; 04-03-2007, 10:44 AM.
                  "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                    DeRosa was signed as well, but I doubt he'll do much. Ted Lily and Marquis will probably be improvements over the guys they had pitching in those spots last year.

Im also guessing they think Prior will have a decent season.
                    Yeah, they'll improve, but I have a hard time seeing them going from worst to first. Still, the Central is weak, and it's really up for grabs this year. Anyone can take it. Well, except Pittsburgh.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Cubs have offense, I think not. Cubs have pitching, wow, their ace can't throw strikes. Spending money means nothing.
                      Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Peavy V. Zito tonight...I'm looking forwards to this.

Comment

What a start to the baseball season. A-Rod had 2 hits, 2 RBI's, a stolen base and a home run. Maybe that will shut up the boo-birds in NY and cheer the best player they have had in a long time.

Comment

The only bright spot for the Dodgers - Jeff Kent's home run. I don't think there was ever a better second baseman than Jeff.

Comment

A-Rod is clutch, baby!

Lidge blows the save in the Astros' opener. I think there's at least five people who are polishing sniper rifles right now and working out a secret plan.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Peavy V. Zito tonight...I'm looking forwards to this.
                                What's the over/under on when Peavy gets injured?

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X