Bringing Baseball to your town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Baseball to your town

So with all this talk about the Marlins and how Loria, Samson and Selig do business and promote baseball I got thinking. Is bringing a team to your city feasable in this day and age?

Sure right off the bat, it's 'sexy' politics. Your town becomes a 'big-league' town and gives something for the community to rally around.

But then you start looking through the numbers, bringing a team to your area costs alot. First off you need that state of the art ballpark. That alone costs $250-400 million dollars. Depending on all kinds of factors. On top of that you have to buy the team. That can vary on cost, depending on the situation. Let's use $100 million as a figure.

So somehow, someone out there has to come up with alot of cash. Let's use half a billion as a ball park figure. There aren't alot of Billionaires kicking around in every town.

I didn't do any major reasearch yet to check the numbers but I used approximations from things I hear in the news. If someone wants to edit these numbers go right ahead.

My point is simply that becoming a major league town is a massive investment, for a ton of people. It's tough to justify publicly funding a new ballpark when that money could be used for life and death issues. I don't think we'll see much in the way of franchise movement in the future, just because of the astronomical costs involved. The only way it happens is if you have an angel investor, such as a Donald Trump.(he was the first name that came to mind) Who's absolutely loaded and wants to have a baseball team of his own.

I hate to say it, but I think any town that puts out that massive amount of public cash is just plain stupid.

BTW, I'm don't have anything close to a BMA, so if I'm way off base, straighten me out.
    Last edited by Ontarioguy; 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I'd say so. A's have tried to move to San Jose a few times, but the Giants owner always blocks it...damn Giants.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ
      I'd say so. A's have tried to move to San Jose a few times, but the Giants owner always blocks it...damn Giants.
      I thought you liked the Giants!
      Cristobal

Comment

What about when teams have lots of back-loaded contracts that get paid after the current owner sells to the new owners? Do the next owners become fully responsible for those deals?

In addition to proving one's fiscal soundness, how do they go about on things like deciding on food vendors, advertising for tickets and merchandise, special event nights and such?
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

If the city of Louisville REALLY wanted a baseball team, I'm sure they could build the facilities and such to get one

But they want an NBA team instead, I hate the NBA, and Louisville will probably get one in the next 7-10 years

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
            I thought you liked the Giants!
            They're ok, but when they are keeping major league baseball from being a couple of blocks away from where I live I have to say Damn Giants.
            The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
            Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X