No announcement yet.

No Bonds in WBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am with you on this, sickle: "Barry Bonds is my favorite player in the game today".
    and this: "I must say that I hate the fact that he won't play in the WBC".
    and this: "He wants to win a championship and all, which is great for us Bay Area fans"

but we part ways with this: "what are the Giants chances?"

anyway, i think that it is very unreasonable to believe that bonds ought to play in the wbc even if the sole reason is so that he would be under the scrutiny of wada testing.
    ironically, that would actually be very selfish reason. (i know, i know. "bonds? selfish?")

wbc play starts 12 march. the participants are going all out from day one of the tourament. at spring training, though, players are not going all out that early. because there is still a great unknown element regarding bonds' knee -- no player has ever sustained his particular situation (injury/infection) -- i can see how bonds believes that he must be as ready as possible for the giants and mlb play.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

The WBC Championship Trophy is going to Havana

Originally posted by sickle
      .... but in all honesty, what are the Giants chances? They are at best a wild card team,
      Not sure I buy that, sickle. The NL West is going to be vastly improved in '06 from the last miserable campaign, but I see the Giants going 87-75, and winning the division by slim margin over the Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, and Rockies, in that order. The wild card won't be out of the west, it is far more likely in my estimation that the NL Central will produce the fourth spot in the post season, as it has the past two years.

The way people vilify Bonds is just another reason for me to like him, and his statement sounded genuine, honest, and well thought out to me. Besides, without Barry on team USA, it makes my Cuban National team that much more likely to win the whole WBC thing.
      Last edited by trosmok; 01-24-2006, 08:54 AM.
      Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Has anyone here ever considered that Barry only played 14 games in 2005, and may therefore have good reason to be very guarded with his health and in which exhibition tournaments he plays?

Just a thought.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

hey, whoa, what's this?
          rational thinking in a thread about bonds?

prepared to get ripped, two-three.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by sickle
            I must begin this post by saying that Barry Bonds is my favorite player in the game today; he's in my top five of all time. However, I must say that I hate the fact that he won't play in the WBC. He wants to win a championship and all, which is great for us Bay Area fans, but in all honesty, what are the Giants chances? They are at best a wild card team, and they don't have the pitching to make a run at a ring.

SO what? Barry Bond's professional responsability is to the San Francisco Giants not the WBC. That's where his (and every other professional ballplayer) priorities should lie.

Comment

bonds said this:

"i owe it to the giants organization, my teammates, and most of all to the fans of san francisco to give 100 percent this season. i assure you, my decision was not an easy one, but based on my circumstances, i had to put my health and my team first."

and this:

"the timing is just not right. i have too many other responsibilities, too many things i have to take care of that are important to me. i owe it to the city, my knee, my team, the fans and my family. i have to put my greatest effort right now into all of that."

if bonds had publicly stated the above two weeks ago and had never declared intention of wbc participation, would those who are ticked off be as ticked off?

what if it was derek jeter who said that? (leave out the knee thing and the specificity of san francisco.)
              i think that bonds gets treated differently than others. some of it deservedly so, some of it not.
              this is part of the not.

Comment

I owe it to the Giants organization, my teammates, and most of all to the fans of San Francisco to give 100 percent this season. I assure you, my decision was not an easy one, but based on my circumstances, I had to put my health and my team first."
                That sounds conspicuously like a prepared statement.

I wish I could write that tight.
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

c'mon, man.

it appears to be no more prepared than anything that i have posted. admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                    c'mon, man.

it appears to be no more prepared than anything that i have posted. admit it.
                    6000 posts?! You must be juiced too!

Congrats, Man - that's a [email protected]#load of BBF posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                      6000 posts?! You must be juiced too!
                      If that's the case, RuthMayBond must constantly take speed. He's up over 10,000.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                        .......huh?
                        A sarcastic comment, but if the best player in baseball won't be playing on the World Baseball Classic, it means we aren't really seeing the best players from each country battle each other out. That said, the winner of the WBC won't really prove who's got the best team on the world.

Comment

Originally posted by ReignInBlood
                          A sarcastic comment, but if the best player in baseball won't be playing on the World Baseball Classic, it means we aren't really seeing the best players from each country battle each other out. That said, the winner of the WBC won't really prove who's got the best team on the world.
                          With Bonds having played only 14 games in 2005, I think he may be wise to take a pass on this, rather than being competitive. When he comes to the playing and the announcers says, "Batting for the USA, Barry BONDS", I don't expect him to stroke a bloop single into RF. I expect a double off the back wall.

If he's had few chances to play, then would he even be physically ready for this? I would think not.

While a man who's unquestionably the premiere active baseball player won't be there, we'll still have many players, including MLB players, who are still trying to win and playing for various countries.

There's even the possibility that the forumer who'd stated that the WBC would be meaningless w/o Barry was just joshing, as in "Oh noooooo, what will we ever do?".

If anyone wants to see who's the best team in the world, they should come back in November and we'll talk.
                          Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                          hey, whoa, what's this?
                          rational thinking in a thread about bonds?

prepared to get ripped, two-three.
                          I've gotten ripped so often, I feel like Humpty Dumpty about now. Stuff happens.
                          Originally posted by runningshoes53
                          If that's the case, RuthMayBond must constantly take speed. He's up over 10,000.

*whistles, walks away slowly, hopes that nobody notices*
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 01-24-2006, 03:51 PM.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Good bye and good riddance. I don't want Bonds on any team I plan on rooting for.

Comment

Originally posted by ReignInBlood
                              This thing isn't about who has the best team. It's about selling baseball merchadise in some new markets.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C
                                Good bye and good riddance. I don't want Bonds on any team I plan on rooting for.
                                Because he abuses Cubs pitching so badly that he could be charged for property damage?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X