X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188
    You're increasing the risk of getting injured. Sure he could get hurt opening day or spring training. But his chances of getting hurt will rise if he plays in the WBC.
    Prove it.

People get injured using little effort or a lot of effort on the field, spring training or major leagues. Sometimes, people get injured when they're not playing. John Smoltz once burned himself with an iron because he was trying to iron his shirt while wearing it. Sammy Sosa sneezed and threw his back out. Another player was sleepwalking and stepped through a glass coffeetable of his. So who cares when and how a player gets injured? It happens.

Leave a comment:

• The Big C
    replied
    Originally posted by chisox2k5
    Because he abuses Cubs pitching so badly that he could be charged for property damage?
    No, because he is a racist and a first class *****. I don't want guys like that representing my country in any way.
    Last edited by KHenry14; 01-27-2006, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DownUnderDodger
    replied
    Originally posted by sickle
    To me, the WBC is not only a world-wide exhibition of OUR great game, but it's a preparation for the season that far-outdoes "spring training". I mean honestly, how many meaningful ABs do the stars get in Arizona and Florida? Give them the stick with not only a game on the line, but pride and honor of country, against other great players, instead of against mediocre college teams and other big-league clubs with non-roster players.
    I could not agree more!!

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    If he really wanted to do it for the fans, he'd do it in person, not on some website. Heck, if I had the power to say whatever is on my mind to millions, you are darn right I'm going to. I only hide behind the computer screen because I'm a poor man with no media credentials or connections, and quite frankly, I am not very photogenic. :atthepc
    If Barry held a press conference, he'd be taken to task for doing just that. People would wonder, "Is this a PR stunt just so he could keep his name in the news?"

He can only do this "in person" or "live" if he's meeting with the press. With the way he's been critiqued heavily, I'd say that someone would question his moves, as in those beyond just informing the baseball fans.
    Originally posted by runningshoes53
    assuming, of course, he even did that himself.
    Someone told me that this was more likely written by his PR agent or his player agent/rep than anyone else. Obviously, someone had to go through and edit any grammatical errors, since nobody expects ball players to have perfect grammar and spelling.

Still, it seems "safe" in its way, in that it informs but doesn't overtly strive to create any controversy. Since it's on a website, he can't get panned for not answering questions, which he would've needed to have done had he made these statements in front of a live audience, which would likely be the sports media.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    If he really wanted to do it for the fans, he'd do it in person, not on some website. Heck, if I had the power to say whatever is on my mind to millions, you are darn right I'm going to. I only hide behind the computer screen because I'm a poor man with no media credentials or connections, and quite frankly, I am not very photogenic. :atthepc
    assuming, of course, he even did that himself.

Leave a comment:

• sickle
    replied
    Originally posted by ReignInBlood
    I owe it to the Giants organization, my teammates, and most of all to the fans of San Francisco to give 100 percent this season.

The man hasn't given 100% in a year and a half to anyone but himself. What makes you think he's going to start now? I know I have said I like Barry, and I will stand by that. It's just funny to me that after trying to force a comeback in light of breaking the record and spouting out at loyal fans and more importantly, his teammates on some occasions, he now tries to say he wants to give 100% to the team, the organization and the fans.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Because he abuses Cubs pitching so badly that he could be charged for property damage?
    Hmmmmmmmmm, are we talking Barry or Dusty?
    Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188
    You're increasing the risk of getting injured. Sure he could get hurt opening day or spring training. But his chances of getting hurt will rise if he plays in the WBC.
    I'm thinking that since the WBC is right around spring training, then his chances of getting hurt increase. I believe that someone who played fewer games in the regular season than most guys play in spring, would definitely have to be extremely careful in March.

Still, there will always be doubters of his.

Leave a comment:

• sickle
    replied
    Originally posted by wamby
    SO what? Barry Bond's professional responsability is to the San Francisco Giants not the WBC. That's where his (and every other professional ballplayer) priorities should lie.

To me, the WBC is not only a world-wide exhibition of OUR great game, but it's a preparation for the season that far-outdoes "spring training". I mean honestly, how many meaningful ABs do the stars get in Arizona and Florida? Give them the stick with not only a game on the line, but pride and honor of country, against other great players, instead of against mediocre college teams and other big-league clubs with non-roster players.

Leave a comment:

• sickle
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    Not sure I buy that, sickle. The NL West is going to be vastly improved in '06 from the last miserable campaign, but I see the Giants going 87-75, and winning the division by slim margin over the Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, and Rockies, in that order. The wild card won't be out of the west, it is far more likely in my estimation that the NL Central will produce the fourth spot in the post season, as it has the past two years.
    I see them around that mark as well, perhaps 3-4 fewer wins. My prediction is, top to bottom: Dodgers, Padres/Giants, Padres/Giants, D-Backs, Rockies

The Giants need to add another arm or two and a solid bat to contend.

I agree that the NL Central will produce the Wild Card, but a West team will be in contention until the final week or so.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    DodgerBlue8188: his chances of getting hurt will rise if he plays in the WBC.

what's this? more rationality? move over, humpty-dumpty.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    trosmok: Imagine if more ballplayers had their priorities in this type of order[: "i owe it to the giants organization, my teammates, and most of all to the fans of san francisco to give 100 percent this season."]

please line up, single file, all of the players who are 40+ years old, coming off a serious injury season, possibly in their last season.
    patiently waiting.

Leave a comment:

• DodgerBlue8188
    replied
    Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
    And there is no chance of any player getting injured at Spring Training??

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    It's still just an exhibition

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    "i owe it to the giants organization, my teammates, and most of all to the fans of san francisco to give 100 percent this season.
    Imagine if more ballplayers had their priorities in this type of order.
    Last edited by trosmok; 01-25-2006, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chisox2k5
    replied
    Originally posted by The Big C
    Good bye and good riddance. I don't want Bonds on any team I plan on rooting for.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X