X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bench 5
    • Nov 2005

WBC - Good Idea or Not?

Let me ask you guys. Are any of you disturbed by the whole World Baseball Classic idea? It seems to me that one of the best aspects of major league baseball is that it epitomized America as the true "melting pot". People of different colors, nationalities, religions etc. all played together for the good of their team. When you watched Robert Clemente you were aware of his heritage but you still see him as a Pittsburgh Pirate (as well as a great human being).

When I watched the All Star festivities last summer I didn't like the way they handled the home-run contest. Contestants represented different countries rather than their own team. So you had players rooting against each other based upon nationality. All the while they draped themselves in the flags of other countries while they were playing the national pastime in America. I realize that every player is not necessarily an American citizen but at the same time, I don't root for players based upon their nationality.

I see some of the same thing going on with the WBC. The Dominican Republic for instance is mad at Alex Rodriguez for not playing with their team. I don't think its fair to him. I think that there could be some bad blood that occurs because of the WBC. Hopefully not but that's my opinion. I think that the HR hitting contest at last year's All Star game was a bad idea and the book's still out on the WBC.
    "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961
  • ReignInBlood
    • Apr 2005

I was surprised at the success of last year's home run contest. The latinos were really excited about representing their countries and it showed, all of them looked pretty excited except the americans and canadians. South Americans really like playing for their countries and representing them.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
      Learning all the time.
      • Aug 2002

I think it is about time the MLB and the American public realised that many of the players from other countries who represent the MLB clubs should be given the opportunity to represent their country on an international level. These players have in the past been forbidden to represent their countries in events such as the World Championships, Intercontinental Cup and Olympic Games purely because the MLB "owned" them. The shackles have been let loose for this tournament and I hope it is a sign of the future. It is good for baseball internationally.

It seems to me that one of the best aspects of major league baseball is that it epitomized America as the true "melting pot". People of different colors, nationalities, religions etc. all played together for the good of their team.
      Just because American Baseball clubs are rich enough to buy players from other countries does not epitomize America as a 'melting pot'. These players have been bought to play baseball, and bolster the strength of the game in America, but it does not mean that America should have control over these players. Just look at Football (to many, Soccer). There are players from all nationalities playing in clubs teams in most countries of the world. Does that mean it epitomizes those countries as 'melting pots', and those players should not be able to represent their home countries internationally? The MLB has only just accepted that players have the right to represent their country in baseball. That is more an epitomy..........an epitomy of fairness to foreign players who want to wear their country's colours.
      "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• Bench 5
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
        The shackles have been let loose for this tournament and I hope it is a sign of the future. It is good for baseball internationally.
        I can't consider anyone making millions of dollars to be in shackles. 99.99% of people (including me) don't make anywhere near that much money yet I don't consider my employer to have me in shackles and neither should well paid pro athletes. If your employer is willing to pay you $5-15 million a year to play a sport for 8 months of the year, they should have some authority over what you do during the season.

I am not against the idea of an international contest. I think it will be interesting to watch. But I didn't like the introduction of nationality into last year's All Star Game. And I've read some bickering here and there regarding who is playing with what nation. I don't think that is good for the major league game.
        "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

• trosmok
          Veracious Member
          • Jan 2000

Just an exhibition

This isn't like the Olympics or a real us v. them type competition; it's an exhibition to showcase the game of baseball and the world it represents. The inclusiveness of widely diverse cultures and nations all brought together by this pure sport should be apolitical, but this isn't an ideal world, and there will be plenty of phony pride being bandied about by some pinhead fans. Most of the players want to have fun, although the very nature of their competitiveness is going to make them want to win. I'm sure some teams want to win more than others, and some players want to win for their country more than for themselves, but isn't that the nature of the game at any level?

GO CUBA!:gt
          Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• west coast orange and black
            • Aug 2004

i think that lots of the players are simply looking forward to - finally - be able to play with fellow countrymates.
            also, we're talking serious bragging rights, here.
            the community of high-grade professional baseball is a pretty exclusive one.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• monty
              • Jan 2006

I think that the WBC is timed poorly. I think that it shouldnt be in spring training, to me, players should be focusing on theyre team and the upcoming season, not playing in the WBC, and getting hurt.
              The 2006 Boston Red Sox are better on paper then both the 2004 world championship team, and the 2005 team.
              Predictions:
              Josh Beckett wins 23 Games
              Mike Lowell has a bounce back season
              Kevin Youkillis will be exposed as a bench player, nothing more.
              Curt Schilling will have his worst season, ever.
              Coco Crisp will create more runs then Damon did in 2005.
              Trot Nixon will be on the DL 3 times.
              Keith Foulke will lose Closers job to Hanson by June.

And the Boston Red Sox will win 99 games

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                Learning all the time.
                • Aug 2002

I simply cannot come to grips with all the talk about players risking injury by playing in the WBC?? Can anyone assure me that no player is ever injured in spring training, or at regular season training for that matter, let alone in normal games. The WBC is surely a great spring training event for those involved to hone their skills before the MLB season, which from what I read in BF, is seen as the be all and end all of baseball!!

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• trosmok
                  Veracious Member
                  • Jan 2000

Right you are

Dozens of MLB players are involved in Winter League baseball in the Caribbean from Nov. to the first week in Feb. The Puerto Rican, Mexican, Dominican and Venezuelan leagues are filled with players that want to play year-round, against tough competition. Not just latinos, but also several gringos that would otherwise be working out on their own without the benefit of top-flight rivals and game day experience play every year all winter. I seldom hear of anyone being injured while participating; it seems more MLB players booger themselves in the off season playing pick-up basketball, on motorcycles, snowmobiles, or washing their cars.
                  Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                    Learning all the time.
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by trosmok
                    Dozens of MLB players are involved in Winter League baseball in the Caribbean from Nov. to the first week in Feb. The Puerto Rican, Mexican, Dominican and Venezuelan leagues are filled with players that want to play year-round, against tough competition. Not just latinos, but also several gringos that would otherwise be working out on their own without the benefit of top-flight rivals and game day experience play every year all winter. I seldom hear of anyone being injured while participating; it seems more MLB players booger themselves in the off season playing pick-up basketball, on motorcycles, snowmobiles, or washing their cars.
                    Good points. There is no doubt though, that the minute one of the high paid MLB stars gets injured, no matter how minor, there will be an outcry about the poor timing, lack of justification, waste of time, too risky, etc of the WBC.

Comment

• BristolBoy
                      That English dude
                      • Aug 2004

The only thing this tournament needs is to be in November instead - I'd bet my worldly possessions on not a single one of these conversations happening if it was taking place in November.
                      Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                        Learning all the time.
                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BristolBoy
                        The only thing this tournament needs is to be in November instead - I'd bet my worldly possessions on not a single one of these conversations happening if it was taking place in November.
                        I would suggest if that were the case the gripe would be that the players are too tired after a long season and they should be allowed the normal break instead of having to play more baseball !! Regardless when it is played there will always be gripes :grouchy

Comment

• Mattingly
                          Yankee fan & proud of it!
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
                          I would suggest if that were the case the gripe would be that the players are too tired after a long season and they should be allowed the normal break instead of having to play more baseball !! Regardless when it is played there will always be gripes :grouchy
                          I'm not sure if there were or not, but were there any gripes after the December 2004 exhibition in which Barry Bonds and others played in Japan?
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Aug 2004

amen on the griping no matter when played, down under.
                            you simply can not please everyone at the same time.
                            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• Aug 2004

i do not recall any griping going on about the americans touring japan in '86, '88, '90, '92, '96, '98, '00, '02 and '04. but in those years only two nations were involved. here, there are 16 with considerations.
                              also, the japanese touring featured exhibition play, whereas wbc games i think will bring about more hotly contested competition.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X