Lance Berkman vs. Mark Teixeira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Berkman vs. Mark Teixeira

Sorry, I spelled Teixeira wrong on the poll and I'm not sure how to change it, but who do you think is the better Player?
    Berkman
    40.00%
    Teixeira
    60.00%
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-24-2006, 12:10 AM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

This is a close one, but I'd take Texeira because he's only 25, meaning he likely has more potential to grow than Berkman, and he's already won a Gold Glove (albeit at first base).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
      and he's already won a Gold Glove (albeit at first base).
      Are you saying that 1st base is easy?

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
        Are you saying that 1st base is easy?

Compared to all other positions it is.

Comment

Tough One. I think Berkman is clearly the better hitter right now. He doesn't hit for as much power, but he has much better on-base skills. He also doesn't play in as extreme a hitter's park as Teixeira. Teixeira's three-year splits:

Home: .311/.390/.629
          Away: .253/.334/.454

Berkman:

Home: .294/.422/.508
          Away: .305/.429/.562

So i guess i would have to go with Berkman. Teixeira's glove helps a little bit, but not enough to overcome the difference in hitting. I think seeing what Soriano does this year is going to be a nice test of the Ameriquest effect. I feel like a lot of people don't realize that it inflates hitting almost as much as Coors, and as a result we could be overvaluing a lot of Rangers hitters. I wouldn't be too surprised if Soriano hits .230 with 20 homeruns (though i think it'll be more like .260 with 28), but i think a lot of the more traditional baseball types would be and it would get people looking at ballpark differences a lot more.

Comment

Im saying Texiera because, like double x he is young and probably not at his prime yet. And he has a gold glove at firstbase.
            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Berkman. and i don't think Teixeira's career will be as good as Berkman's either...mainly due to that home/road split.
              RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
              Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
              Infamous butcher,
              Angel of Death

Comment

I project Teixeira - assuming he stays healty - having very similar numbers to Rafael Palmeiro, and Berkman being kind of a poor man's Frank Thomas. That being said, I go with Berkman.
                Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-24-2006, 08:19 AM.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Teixeira will have to have five excellent seasons to match what Berkman has already done. If you are selcting based on who has done what through what birthday you have to go with Berkman. If you are picking from now onward you would go with Teixeira dur to the age differential.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    Teixeira will have to have five excellent seasons to match what Berkman has already done. If you are selcting based on who has done what through what birthday you have to go with Berkman. If you are picking from now onward you would go with Teixeira dur to the age differential.
                    I'm not sure I agree with that. Sure, Teixeira will probably end up with better counting stats, but I don't think his rate stats will compare favorably at all.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                      Sorry, I spelled Teixeira wrong on the poll and I'm not sure how to change it, but who do you think is the better Player?
                      You've spelled it correctly in the opening post. I've corrected the spelling in the poll and thread title.

His name's spelling is unique, like Jhonny Peralta's, but in Mark's case, just remember the "ei" thing twice. After that, it's easy, like how you were taught "M-I-SSI-SSI-PPI" in grade school for spelling "Mississippi".
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I went with Berkman, Although Tex is a stud himself.

Berkman is one of the most underrated hitters in the league.

Tex is a stud, he posted 32 winshares in the 05 season, But I still feel berkman is the superior offensive player to him, afterall he was injured lastseason.

Comment

Even though it goes completely against logic, I really want to believe Lance Berkman is really just an average player and that he just keeps having good seasons because no one has told him he has no business keeping the lofty company he keeps. In terms of career OPS+ through age 29, Berkman is between Killebrew and McCovey. Yet, it's Lance Berkman we're talking about. C'mon, can't be.
                          "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Teixeira is my answer by the way.
                            "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Had to go w/ Tex since Berkman will be limping around for another season.
                              "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X