Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Chisox Frank Thomas to Sign with A's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Chisox Frank Thomas to Sign with A's!

The AP is reporting this afternoon that FRANK THOMAS will sign a one-year deal with Oakland.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10369813/from/RS.1/

c.

Good for him that he found a team.

But it will be a strange sight. Thomas in Gold and Green instead of Silver and Black.

Comment

Good to see he will be going to a playoff competitor that will probably play the ChiSox in the ALDS if they make it. He can launch the game winning grand slam against Bobby Jenks in the 9th Inning of Game 5 at Chicago.
      The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Thomas is the prototype of Billy Beane's high OPS approach that brought the A's back to prominence in the late 90s (and that almost everyone has been trying to copy since). It seems almost appropriate to me that Thomas would go to Oakland, it's like the prodigal son going home.

Comment

What'll happen with Durazo? I hope Frank Thomas won't become a backup DH or something

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Expo fan
            What'll happen with Durazo? I hope Frank Thomas won't become a backup DH or something
            Isn't Durazo a free agent?

Comment

Oh boy, losing my baseball knowledge , one of the symptoms of a certain team moving:grouchy .

Comment

Durazo was injuried all of 2005. In 2004, he had a good season. Still, I thought Oakland would give him a chance to rebound this year, but instead, he was let go and is a free agent as Double X said.

Comment

Frank was my favorite player for the past 15 years so I hate to see him go but I'm glad he picked up with someone.

The past few years he tries to pull everything and go for homers. He's been pretty successful with this approach as fas as power but he can't hit .300 anymore.

But given the fact that he has major foot problems and he weighs 275 pounds I think he will have difficulty playing more than 75 games this year. He wants to hit 500 homers. Even though he only needs about 50, if he can't stay healthy this year I think he will retire.
                  "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Expo fan
                    Durazo was not offered arbitration, and from what my Bay Area contacts told me, he might be out all or most of 2006 as well.
                    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

This looks like a good signing by the A's. If it goes to hell they are only out $500K. They desperately need a righthanded middle of the order bat.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

As an avid A's fan, I must show appreciation for Erubiel Durazo's contributions to the club in 2003 and 2004. However, his time has come, and the Bay Area can use a good DH, and Thomas will provide just that. Even though he was also in a limited role due to injuries, Thomas had 10 more RBI than Durazo in 47 fewer at-bats. Bean found himself a good OPS man. The Hurt has always been a favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see him in the green and gold.
                        www.bwbl.net

Comment

Didn't Andre Dawson sign for that amount with the Cubs?
                          Spurious MVP or not . . .
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

There's a similar thread in the White Sox forum for those interested.
                            http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=38887

He will certainly be missed.
                            Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                            I hope that's all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X