Most Hated Players as Rated by Peers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Hated Players as Rated by Peers

I posted this in the Boston forum just in relation to Curt Schilling, but then it occurred to me that since two other baseball players are on this list (AJ Pierzynski and Barry Bonds), I thought I'd open it up to more general discussion as well.

Here is a link the article which is now featured in GQ.

Basically, the article is titled "The Ten Most Hated Athletes" as rated by their peers. In includes players from all sports, but as for baseball players making the list, Pierzynski came in 9th, Schilling at 4th, and Bonds at 2nd. I thought the article was pretty interesting, especially the Schilling part since that was the most surprising to me (there is a paragraph about how some of his peers suspect that the bloody sock was a fakery). Also, Jeff Kent, Randy Johnson, and Alex Rodriguez were among the 5 honorable mention players.

Anyway, so check it out if you're interested.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 01-25-2006, 03:52 PM.

How soon before Alex Rodriguez gets his name tossed into the hat? I'm sure someone will include Derek Jeter.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      How soon before Alex Rodriguez gets his name tossed into the hat? I'm sure someone will include Derek Jeter.
      From the little I've heard from other players, Jeter seems pretty respected throughout the game. This isn't like fans hating players just because of team association or hype, this players not liking players because of who they are.

Comment

I can't say that I find surprising that players think that Schilling's bloody sock was faked. I had thought the same thing myself. Maybe the Chicken-Hawk stayed up and watched The Natural.

There were a couple of names on that that I wasn't familiar with, but I wasn't surprised by any of the baseball names.

Comment

There was some discussion on another board that the people quoted were done so anonymously, and that this represented cowardice. I'm not too sure that anyone would be expected to say the things they did about the various athletes and use their names.

Then again, I guess that's one reason why I'd never be the type to supply these quotes, even if I were aware of the players' not-so-likeable personalities.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

There was some discussion on another board that the people quoted were done so anonymously, and that this represented cowardice. I'm not too sure that anyone would be expected to say the things they did about the various athletes and use their names.

Then again, I guess that's one reason why I'd never be the type to supply these quotes, even if I were aware of the players' not-so-likeable personalities.
            The thing is though, that if some of these guys are as bad and detestable as people make them out to be, then they have that kind of backstabbing coming to them. The problem isn't the cowardice in people anonymously giving the goods, the problem is in the person himself. If the person wasn't so detestable, he wouldn't have anonymous people saying stuff about him.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
              The thing is though, that if some of these guys are as bad and detestable as people make them out to be, then they have that kind of backstabbing coming to them. The problem isn't the cowardice in people anonymously giving the goods, the problem is in the person himself. If the person wasn't so detestable, he wouldn't have anonymous people saying stuff about him.
              Towards the end of the article, from what I remember, there was also Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez as the two who barely didn't make the cut. Randy seems only concerned with winning, rather than being some media darling, and when he'd hit that reporter's camera, it didn't seem remotely like Kenny Walker's run-in with a cameraman.

For Alex Rodriguez, I think that much of his "hatred" by fans comes from RSN. He's a bit pretentious, I'll admit, but he's not a nasty person from what I've seen. Other than gambling, I haven't seen him being a belligerent guy who belittles anyone, so he at least seems like a reasonably nice guy. I can't fault him too much for that.

Someone elsewhere supposed that it could've been Dan Shaughnessy who wrote the piece on Schilling, as he'd been critical of other Boston athletes. I'll decline comment, but just passing on the info.

Schilling's problems are that he's constantly making sure that everyone hears his opinion. He's called into live radio programs (Boston's WEII, I think), and over on SoSH (Sons of Sam Horn), he's started "Game Threads", whereby fans discuss a Red Sox game as it's beginning. He simply loves the attention quite a bit too much for my use.

Then there's the ever-present debate about whether the bloody sock thing was really faked. Some may think he'd tried doing a "limping Willis Reed" from the 1973 NBA Finals, where Reed faced a much more powerful and 3" taller Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain, from the LA Lakers.

On another note:

Thank goodness that Terrell Owens was #1. Not only does he far outdistance Barry Bonds on the "despised" list, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus has done the impossible: he makes $cott Bora$ look absolutely adorable and trustworthy by comparison. Tough feat.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 01-25-2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

--Whatever his motivations I like that Schilling makes himself so available to the media and, more importantly, the fans. I wish there were more like him. I can't believe anybody would doubt his injury in the 2004 WS either. It was enough of a problem it lingered on to ruin 2005 for him.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                  --Whatever his motivations I like that Schilling makes himself so available to the media and, more importantly, the fans. I wish there were more like him. I can't believe anybody would doubt his injury in the 2004 WS either. It was enough of a problem it lingered on to ruin 2005 for him.
                  I don't think it's the injury that is doubted. It is the bloody sock thing. Some people (myself included) think that was staged by Schilling for some more of his seemingly endless desire for media attention.

Comment

Personally I'm suprised Gary Sheffield wasn't on there.
                    "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Comment

From the article:
                      9. A. J. Pierzynski

Google the phrase clubhouse cancer and the first two results will be stories about Chicago White Sox catcher A. J. Pierzynski. Teammates and members of the media use those words and others—unprofessional, immature, arrogant, aloof—to describe him. His baseball misdemeanors are legion: chirping at the opposition, bitterly contesting balls and strikes (very stupid for a catcher, who must win goodwill for his pitcher), and venting his frustrations on opposing first basemen. “He doesn’t have a lot of baseball etiquette,” says one ex-teammate. “He’ll deliberately step on your foot at first base, then say, ‘Man, I didn’t mean to do that!’ ”

The most telling of the many, many (seriously, you wouldn’t believe how willing people were to talk about this guy) Pierzynski anecdotes we heard took place during spring training in 2004. Pierzynski, crouched behind the plate, took a pitch to the groin. Rushing to his aid, trainer Stan Conte asked him how he felt. “Like this!” Pierzynski grunted, then savagely kneed Conte in the balls.
                      Man, that's being a big time jerk but in a strange way it's kind of funny.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Towards the end of the article, from what I remember, there was also Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez as the two who barely didn't make the cut. Randy seems only concerned with winning, rather than being some media darling, and when he'd hit that reporter's camera, it didn't seem remotely like Kenny Walker's run-in with a cameraman.
                        This is just pure speculation on my part, but from the bits and pieces I have heard about Johnson over the years, he does sound standoffish and moody and doesn't really gel with his teammates. Plus, I think a lot of players in the 90s were just plain afraid of him (Larry Walker, John Kruk).

Comment

I'm sure someone will include Derek Jeter.
                          I have doubts that Jeter would be unpopular with his peers. I believe his unpopularity with the fans - and they are all non-Yankee fans - is because he is so popular and such a good player to boot! Opposing fans always tend to hate a player who constantly causes their team grief on the field.
                          "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

i wish there were less like schilling. one of that blowhard is enough for a lifetime.

Comment

Thought I'd mention: there's an interview with Curt Schilling over on ESPN's Page 2.
                              Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X