Things that bother me in baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that bother me in baseball

Fans that have two favorite teams- that’s like sacrilege. I don't even care if they aren't rivals, if you are a real fan; you devote yourself to one team and one team only.

Fans that come to the game after the third inning- I know there is traffic and what not, but arriving after the third inning is inexcusable and disgraceful. Real fans come for batting practice.

Luxury boxes- You already have the privilege of sitting the best seats in the house, why do you need a waiter to serve you fancier food that is insanely overpriced. If you came to see a ball game, a beer and a hot dog will suffice.

People who either have season tickets in the Luxury box and don't show up, or got to games in the Luxury box with no desire to actually watch the game but use it as a "business opportunity"- That's just pathetic. People would die for those seats, at least ACT like you care about what’s going on.

Press Box seats- What a terrible idea. Pay more money than tickets behind the dugout to see less of the game. OOOHH there's a big TV in the press box with a nice couch! Why did you even bother going to the game if you are just going to sit on a couch and watch it on a TV or if you watch it through a window?

People who stand up in the middle of the game on their cell phone flailing their arms like a moron while yelling "Can you see me???! I'm the one in the black shirt! Yeah.... I'm standing up! Can you see me? No?"- Yeah I can see you. You are the dumb idiot who is about to get beer poured on them. Sit the hell down and watch the game.

Stupid games they play on the jumbo-tron like guess where the ball is or name that tune- Those games suck. And there is always some idiot sitting next to you who is in fricken love with those games and yells out all of the answers. Don't even get me started on the ones that order you to get loud. Like we are such a huge group of morons that we need a fricken screen to tell us when to yell and when not to. "The Screen is saying 'Make Some Noise'. The screen has not failed me yet with telling the score and who is batting so I shall listen to the screen again and make noise." Just let the game play. There are already enough idiots around distracting me from the game, I don't need another one.

Barry Bonds- He is a terrible teammate and a terrible person. He won't talk to the press, he won't work out with the team, he cries about everything, and he hates fans. I'm not going to say that he is on steroids because there isn't any solid proof, but I don't know how someone can say in their heart of hearts that he isn't. No one peaks at the age of 37. I am cringing at the thought that if he plays this year, he will break the records of Ruth and Aaron.

Red Sox Fans- enough said.

Lets Go Yankees Baby!
    Last edited by Kroxquo; 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM.

So I guess you loathe me... I have four favorite teams, although the Yanks are highly favorite.

Comment

That's quite the first post.

Anything about the game you like that you care to let us in on?
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Somebody got high standards.

While you might hate Red Sox fans. Not all Red Sox fans hate you without knowing you. That would make them ignorant to hate a person based on being a fan of a certain team.

Comment

I like the Red Sox, and the Mets
          I know that your a sucker, for anything acoustic
          -Brand New

Comment

Originally posted by laxplayer81217
            I like the Red Sox, and the Mets
            There's a combo I've never seen before. You were all set to celebrate either way in '86, eh?
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ha, if I were alive then lol
              I know that your a sucker, for anything acoustic
              -Brand New

Comment

Originally posted by Wait 'til Next Year
                1. Fans that have two favorite teams- that’s like sacrilege. I don't even care if they aren't rivals, if you are a real fan; you devote yourself to one team and one team only.

2. Fans that come to the game after the third inning- I know there is traffic and what not, but arriving after the third inning is inexcusable and disgraceful. Real fans come for batting practice.

3. Luxury boxes- You already have the privilege of sitting the best seats in the house, why do you need a waiter to serve you fancier food that is insanely overpriced. If you came to see a ball game, a beer and a hot dog will suffice.

4. People who either have season tickets in the Luxury box and don't show up, or got to games in the Luxury box with no desire to actually watch the game but use it as a "business opportunity"- That's just pathetic. People would die for those seats, at least ACT like you care about what’s going on.

5. Press Box seats- What a terrible idea. Pay more money than tickets behind the dugout to see less of the game. OOOHH there's a big TV in the press box with a nice couch! Why did you even bother going to the game if you are just going to sit on a couch and watch it on a TV or if you watch it through a window?

6. People who stand up in the middle of the game on their cell phone flailing their arms like a moron while yelling "Can you see me???! I'm the one in the black shirt! Yeah.... I'm standing up! Can you see me? No?"- Yeah I can see you. You are the dumb idiot who is about to get beer poured on them. Sit the hell down and watch the game.

7. Stupid games they play on the jumbo-tron like guess where the ball is or name that tune- Those games suck. And there is always some idiot sitting next to you who is in fricken love with those games and yells out all of the answers. Don't even get me started on the ones that order you to get loud. Like we are such a huge group of morons that we need a fricken screen to tell us when to yell and when not to. "The Screen is saying 'Make Some Noise'. The screen has not failed me yet with telling the score and who is batting so I shall listen to the screen again and make noise." Just let the game play. There are already enough idiots around distracting me from the game, I don't need another one.

8. Barry Bonds- He is a terrible teammate and a terrible person. He won't talk to the press, he won't work out with the team, he cries about everything, and he hates fans. I'm not going to say that he is on steroids because there isn't any solid proof, but I don't know how someone can say in their heart of hearts that he isn't. No one peaks at the age of 37. I am cringing at the thought that if he plays this year, he will break the records of Ruth and Aaron.

9. Red Sox Fans- enough said.

10. Lets Go Yankees Baby!
                Wow! Talk about an *INTERESTING* first post. I've broken these up into numbers, with other text having been unedited. I'll reply to those numbers in like fashion.

1. We've had a thread or two here (started by yours truly) about what people's "other" team was. If someone wants to follow the Cards or another team outside of their area, whether they went to school near St Louis or simply enjoy the team's style of play, I think they should be allowed to do that. Since this is such a great board, everyone is entitled to agree or disagree, and post their feelings upon this.

2. I'm not sure what your definition of "real fan" is, but since we've got many very intelligent people here who also have strong opinions, you may wish to poke your head into several posts before trying to apply your definitions here.

As to arriving in the 3rd inning, some people get off work late. One day, I didn't finish work until around 12:30pm in lower Manhattan, and had to take a train to the Bronx to catch a 1pm game. I missed "roll call" (where fans in Sections 37 thru 41 call out players' names, to which they raise a hand, tip a cap, etc) and I was seated in the RF Bleachers.

3. I'm guessing that you sit in the cheaper seats somewhere? I've heard that attitude from people who sit there. Some come for the sheer love of the game, but some who have more money may have a large group, including corporate clients who do enjoy a good baseball game. I don't think there's enough money to support only the "purist" fans, so if people insist upon restaurant service, poured drinks and fancy meals, rather than a hot dog, peanuts, nachos, beer and soda for the kids, it's their call.

4. Actually, people in any kind of seats, from the $200 ones to the $10 bleacher tickets can be just as easily highly knowledgeable and having gone there for 20+ years, to the biggest newbie who's never even figured out what a double play is, or the idea behind it. I've also known some who bought season tickets to various local sports teams, including baseball, and when they couldn't make it, offered it to others on the company's website, just as people sell Broadway (in NYC, anyway), opera and other tickets to friends.

5. I've never been in that section, so I can't say much.

6. Instead of doing any dirty deeds yourself, you may try calling over an usher, security, stadium police, etc. If you start showering people with beers, you don't know how soon a fight may break out, nor how many of said person's friends are with him/her. I also don't expect someone you've had a confrontation with to pay for your dental bills either.

7. I'm guessing you're referring to Yankee Stadium with the "get loud" thing. They do announce the players, including their position, uniform number, BA, so if you don't like that part, I'll just say to treat it like the wave: no need for you to get involved.

Also, if someone is sitting next to you that doesn't share your attitude, it may be time to get a nacho, pretzel or something of that sort. If you start getting angry too often, I'll only mention that everyone's idea of fun at ye ol' ballpark may be different from yours as well as mine.

8. We've had about a gazillion threads here about Barry Bonds. In fact, you may just be able to catch one or two here. If you'd like to participate in them, feel free to do so. If you go into the SFG forum, please note that you'll be met with people very loyal to him, as he's their most well-known player, and is the one who'll most likely lead them to the 2006 playoffs.

9. There are quite a few very quality Red Sox fans here. I can't speak for every single one you've ever met, but the ones here have been fine, and we've generally gotten along well together.

10. I do hope that you realize this is an all-team forum, so fans of just about every team that's existed in the past 60 years is represented. We've even got discussion about teams that haven't existed for many years, so check out what's there.

Welcome to BBF, a source of great and intelligent baseball discussion, where civility to one's fellow baseball fan is highly encouraged (and some would say required), so please make yourself at home, and do treat others with the exact same respect as you'd like in return.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Fans that have two favorite teams- that’s like sacrilege. I don't even care if they aren't rivals, if you are a real fan; you devote yourself to one team and one team only.
                  It's a good thing we have you to tell us the "real" rules

<Fans that come to the game after the third inning- I know there is traffic and what not, but arriving after the third inning is inexcusable and disgraceful. Real fans come for batting practice.>

And you know everyone's situation (although I personally come for BP)

<Luxury boxes- You already have the privilege of sitting the best seats in the house, why do you need a waiter to serve you fancier food that is insanely overpriced. If you came to see a ball game, a beer and a hot dog will suffice.>

Why do you care what other people do. Jealous?

<People who either have season tickets in the Luxury box and don't show up, or got to games in the Luxury box with no desire to actually watch the game but use it as a "business opportunity"- That's just pathetic. People would die for those seats, at least ACT like you care about what’s going on.>

Whatever

<Press Box seats- What a terrible idea. Pay more money than tickets behind the dugout to see less of the game. OOOHH there's a big TV in the press box with a nice couch! Why did you even bother going to the game if you are just going to sit on a couch and watch it on a TV or if you watch it through a window?>

Again, what business of yours?

<People who stand up in the middle of the game on their cell phone flailing their arms like a moron while yelling "Can you see me???! I'm the one in the black shirt! Yeah.... I'm standing up! Can you see me? No?"- Yeah I can see you. You are the dumb idiot who is about to get beer poured on them. Sit the hell down and watch the game.>

hopefully security watches as you pour

<Stupid games they play on the jumbo-tron like guess where the ball is or name that tune- Those games suck. And there is always some idiot sitting next to you who is in fricken love with those games and yells out all of the answers. Don't even get me started on the ones that order you to get loud. Like we are such a huge group of morons that we need a fricken screen to tell us when to yell and when not to. "The Screen is saying 'Make Some Noise'. The screen has not failed me yet with telling the score and who is batting so I shall listen to the screen again and make noise." Just let the game play. There are already enough idiots around distracting me from the game, I don't need another one.>

Why do you go?

<Barry Bonds- He is a terrible teammate and a terrible person. He won't talk to the press, he won't work out with the team, he cries about everything, and he hates fans. I'm not going to say that he is on steroids because there isn't any solid proof, but I don't know how someone can say in their heart of hearts that he isn't. No one peaks at the age of 37. I am cringing at the thought that if he plays this year, he will break the records of Ruth and Aaron.>

You don't know crap about him personally.

<Red Sox Fans- enough said.>

Yeah they're pretty nice, unlike $tankee fan$

<Lets Go Yankees Baby!>

To the cellar
                  Last edited by RuthMayBond; 01-26-2006, 06:59 PM.
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

haha wow

I got a lot more posts than I expected. Sweet. I have nothing better to do with my time until baseball season starts. I guess I’ll answer these from first to last.

runningshoes: what a stupid question to ask. of course there are things I love about baseball. I love getting drunk and kicking the crap out of people in the stadium. With all kidding aside, there are many things I love about baseball and it would just be silly for me to make a list of them. Coming from someone with season tickets, I just thought it would be fun to make a list of annoyances I have with the game today.

Evangelion: That was also a joke. I do not really hate all red sox fans. Some of my good friends are blue jay fans and they are both birds, so that's close enough. Really, I do appreciate the rivalry and have nothing against red sox fans except the dumb ones who make stupid statements without backing them up.

ahh.... Mattingly and RuthMayBond I'll answer you guys at the same time I guess. The first thing on favorite teams, I agree that it's ok to enjoy another team whatever your reasons being. There are a bunch of teams in which I like their style of play, but none which I consider a favorite team of mine or even a second. It’s like if the kid who likes the sox and mets were alive for the series in 86. When the red sox (I’m guessing that’s his favorite team) lost, it's not ok to still cheer and rejoice as if your team just won the world series.

Coming before the game starts. yeah I see your point about how u didn't finish work and that's why you came late. Everyone will have an excuse. No one comes late to a ball game because they didn't feel like hearing the national anthem. But what I’m saying is that if you are going to a ball game, you should make it your business to make it on time.

Luxury boxes. Actually, I have season tickets in a section very close to the luxury box. I love it where I am but I would love to move into that section. not for the food or whatever but I just want to be closer to the game. That remark wasn't directed at fans who sit in the luxury box who are like me and just want a great seat. It was for the business men who show up at the start of the YMCA (end of 5th) to meet a client and then leave in the 8th to beat traffic. nice response of "whatever" ruthmaybond. You really proved your point.

You guys had no problem with my press box remark. That’s good because I’m kinda getting sick of typing.

Cell-phone waving idiots. I’m not even old enough to buy beer so you don't have to worry about that. There shouldn't be the need though to call security on some idiot who doesn't realize there are 50,000 fans in the stadium, his wife watching it on the TV won't see/recognize him.

Jumbo-tron. Things like pitch count, stats, etc are awesome. I love that. but what I’m saying is you don't need the extra crap they put in between innings where you play stupid games or a "loud-o-meter". it's unnecessary. if there is a big moment in the game I don't need a scoreboard to tell me to cheer. I can cheer on my own thank you.

Bonds. I was afraid this would start some controversy. I am just really sick of him. I think there are so many great young players out there that are so wonderful for the game of baseball and the world could really do without him. Last year was so great seeing Albert finally not play second fiddle to Bonds and the breaking out of a lot of young players. Yes RuthMayBond, I don't know crap about him personally. I don't know crap about John Rocker personally but I know he's a bigot. I'm sure he is wonderful to his wife and kids just like Bonds but he's bad for the game of baseball. Judging by the $tankee fan$ remark, I’m guessing you are either a 13 year old kid or a middle aged man who just loves to act like an idiot. I'm wondering what team you like. Boy do I hope you say the Red Sox.

I hope to keep the controversy comming. There is still a lot more time before baseball season starts and the Yankees start kicking everyones ass.
                    Oh yeah. By the way, I forgot to mention that Mattingly, you said something interesting when you said "If you go into the SFG forum, please note that you'll be met with people very loyal to him, as he's their most well-known player, and is the one who'll most likely lead them to the 2006 playoffs."
                    When he is the one who will most likely lead the to the playoffs? IF the Giants make the playoffs of course it will be due to Bonds, but do you honestly think they will make the playoffs? All of your other comments were pretty "treat everyone equally, give peace a chance, don't say hateful things" type of responses so I thought this reponse was a little bold and out of character.
                    Last edited by Kroxquo; 01-27-2006, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                      So I guess you loathe me... I have four favorite teams, although the Yanks are highly favorite.

I don't even know you and I'll join his bandwagon as for the damn Skanks and you having four favorite teams. I'll go one further and guess that they are all lame azz Junior League teams.
                      "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

...If there is a big moment in the game I don't need a scoreboard to tell me to cheer. I can cheer on my own thank you.
                        I couldn't agree more. I HATE that they now do this at Dodger Stadium, and they do it CONSTANTLY. We in L.A. not too long ago used to rip on the "Bush league" tactic of stadiums having to tell their fans when to cheer and now WE DO IT TOO! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!:grouchy I never would have thought I'd live to see the day that Chavez Ravine would resort to "APPLAUSE" signs like they use in sit-coms! You hear me, McCourt?! Git rid of those dang "Cheer now" messages!

Comment

There are a bunch of teams in which I like their style of play, but none which I consider a favorite team of mine or even a second. It’s like if the kid who likes the sox and mets were alive for the series in 86. When the red sox (I’m guessing that’s his favorite team) lost, it's not ok to still cheer and rejoice as if your team just won the world series.
                          I have a favorite AL team (Red Sox), and a favorite NL team (Reds). The way I see it, the situation in baseball is unique among professional sports in that there are two separate leagues that (generally) don't play outside of their league except for the World Series. (Although that all changed under the regime of Bud Selig). But anyway, my point is that if someone can have, say, a favorite NBA team and a favorite NFL team, why can't they have a favorite AL team and a favorite Nl team? Now, I understand that since it's the same sport they ultimately have to play each other to deterime the WS champion, but since the Red Sox are my overall favorite, I would root for and follow both teams throughout the regular season, and then, should they happen to face off in the WS (not happening this year though), I would then root for the Red Sox. But until then, the success of one team has no impact on the other's standings. (except interleague play :grouchy )
                          "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Cool, Next Year. I thought you were another ignorant fan that hated a team, because everyday say you should. I'm a Red Sox fan myself, if you haven't figure it out. While I don't like the Yankees, I don't hate intelligent Yankee fans that can back-up their team and claims they make about the Yankees. Also a good discussion and debate with some Yankee fan posters on this forum.

I agree with your comments about hating dumb fans, not just Red Sox or Yankees fans, any dumb fans that makes stupid comments without a singal fact to back-up what they say, too.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Next Year.

Comment

Real fans come for batting practice.
                              I find watching BP kind of dull, personally.
                              "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X