Things that bother me in baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wait 'til Next Year
    Fans that have two favorite teams- that’s like sacrilege. I don't even care if they aren't rivals, if you are a real fan; you devote yourself to one team and one team only.

Fans that come to the game after the third inning- I know there is traffic and what not, but arriving after the third inning is inexcusable and disgraceful. Real fans come for batting practice.

Luxury boxes- You already have the privilege of sitting the best seats in the house, why do you need a waiter to serve you fancier food that is insanely overpriced. If you came to see a ball game, a beer and a hot dog will suffice.

People who either have season tickets in the Luxury box and don't show up, or got to games in the Luxury box with no desire to actually watch the game but use it as a "business opportunity"- That's just pathetic. People would die for those seats, at least ACT like you care about what’s going on.

Press Box seats- What a terrible idea. Pay more money than tickets behind the dugout to see less of the game. OOOHH there's a big TV in the press box with a nice couch! Why did you even bother going to the game if you are just going to sit on a couch and watch it on a TV or if you watch it through a window?

People who stand up in the middle of the game on their cell phone flailing their arms like a moron while yelling "Can you see me???! I'm the one in the black shirt! Yeah.... I'm standing up! Can you see me? No?"- Yeah I can see you. You are the dumb idiot who is about to get beer poured on them. Sit the hell down and watch the game.

Stupid games they play on the jumbo-tron like guess where the ball is or name that tune- Those games suck. And there is always some idiot sitting next to you who is in fricken love with those games and yells out all of the answers. Don't even get me started on the ones that order you to get loud. Like we are such a huge group of morons that we need a fricken screen to tell us when to yell and when not to. "The Screen is saying 'Make Some Noise'. The screen has not failed me yet with telling the score and who is batting so I shall listen to the screen again and make noise." Just let the game play. There are already enough idiots around distracting me from the game, I don't need another one.

Barry Bonds- He is a terrible teammate and a terrible person. He won't talk to the press, he won't work out with the team, he cries about everything, and he hates fans. I'm not going to say that he is on steroids because there isn't any solid proof, but I don't know how someone can say in their heart of hearts that he isn't. No one peaks at the age of 37. I am cringing at the thought that if he plays this year, he will break the records of Ruth and Aaron.

Red Sox Fans- enough said.

Lets Go Yankees Baby!
    Well, I don't think I'd enjoy watching a game with you, as you don't seem to enjoy a whole lot about the game either. Since you look around and find so many things to be miserable about, I wonder why you even bother to go to the games? I dislike some of the things you mentioned as well, but they don't rule, ruin, or define my experience at the ballpark. I'm a baseball fan, not a 'team" fan. I support the Mariners first and foremost, but I also enjoy and support many other teams. And guess what? I'm happy when I go to a game, and rarely does any of the things you mentioned ruin a game for me.
    I suppose that with so many other very polite and kind members here, my suggestion would never be followed, by I suggest that we wouldn't dignify posts like this with a response, especially a first post. I consider myself very new around here, and feel that I must come in and show respect to others here, and get a feel for what is acceptable. I'm a member, yes, but I'm a new member, a guest, and others have made me feel welcome. They've done the same for you. I hope you'll tone things down a bit and reciprocate.
    So, Welcome to Baseball Fever.
    Lou
    "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
      So, is it safe to say that it is really your daddy who has the season tickets?
      I think that's probably safe to say.
      "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
        Not really.

If he doesn't grow up exposed to any one team on a regular basis but develops an appreciation of the game from what he can get his hands on.

What I find odd is the guy from LA who becomes a Braves fan with no prior ties to Atlanta, Milwaukee or Boston.
        Yeah, it's kind of hard trying to root for a team when the closest one is right around 3500 miles away, give or take a ride to the airport or two. I'm a baseball fan, nothing more, nothing less. I don't care who's on TV, as long as they're throwing a ball and swinging a bat.

If I may hark back to a conversation I had however long ago with west coast orange and black, we both get a great deal of enjoyment from the game - it's just that I get mine in a completely different fashion to how he does. There ain't nothing wrong with that in my books.
        Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          If someone only drinks Bud or Miller, then they can also ignore the Foster's or Heineken.
          Did someone say Fosters?? Hands up those who who drink Fosters. When I am in the 'States I am a Miller man - we get plenty of Fosters products here so why drink it when overseas.

Whoops, sorry, I think I have strayed off topic

Back on topic though, I see myself as a Dodgers fan, mainly thru my association with a lady from LA (now my wife) and the times I spent in LA. But I still like to follow the fortunes of other teams, especially my favourite AL team, the Boston Red Sox. If the Dodgers and BoSox meet I root for the Dodgers, but if the BoSox are playing someone else, as they did in the WS in 2004, I definitely root for them. I can see no harm in that.

I think enough has been said about all the other comments.
          "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
            Did someone say Fosters?? Hands up those who who drink Fosters. When I am in the 'States I am a Miller man - we get plenty of Fosters products here so why drink it when overseas.

Whoops, sorry, I think I have strayed off topic

Back on topic though, I see myself as a Dodgers fan, mainly thru my association with a lady from LA (now my wife) and the times I spent in LA. But I still like to follow the fortunes of other teams, especially my favourite AL team, the Boston Red Sox. If the Dodgers and BoSox meet I root for the Dodgers, but if the BoSox are playing someone else, as they did in the WS in 2004, I definitely root for them. I can see no harm in that.

I think enough has been said about all the other comments.
            I drink Fosters! But not when I can get my hands on some Miller, or better still, MGD. Mmmmm.... MGD.

Ug like MGD. Ug smash. MGD....
            Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

Not really.

If he doesn't grow up exposed to any one team on a regular basis but develops an appreciation of the game from what he can get his hands on.

What I find odd is the guy from LA who becomes a Braves fan with no prior ties to Atlanta, Milwaukee or Boston.

You've got TBS to blame for that. Of course the same can be said about WGN and the Cubs worldwide fans because of the mother station.
              "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

There's no need for that garbage.

If you want to talk like that, go join the Neanderthals at AOL.
                What's your problem? Do not like people kidding around and laughing? Does it pain you to see others having a good time?
                Last edited by Nomtoc; 01-28-2006, 06:49 AM.
                "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                  When you look to my av, you'll see the logos come by... I don't know you either, but who am I to judge about you?

I am not a bandwagoneer. I am a Yankee fan since 1981, so I have lived through the bad times.
                  I don't see why it is impossible to have three (Ok now two without the Expos) other favorite teams.

C'mon buddy the Nationals play real Baseball. You have the golden opprutunity in front of you to watch ball the way it's supposed to be played and cheer for (however slightly changed they may be) one of your teams.

You are correct in that a 25 year alligence a bandwagon fan does not make!

Oh and by the way, I for one have always been in loved the Expo's uniform.
                  Last edited by Nomtoc; 01-28-2006, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                    I'm blown over. Very strong words, I must insist. Please see RMB's posts under "History" to get a sense of what he knows about baseball. He may be a Yankee-hater, but he at least knows the game.
                    And I hate the owner, not the players or fans. And we can all learn from each other, like I have learned from Matt. I may not agree with every single thing he says (and I don't expect him to agree with everything I say) but at least one of my projects would be infinitely poorer without his information. Respect is in order.
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      That would make me a half-wit
                      I, of course, would expect nothing less from you.

For the record, what bothers me about baseball: Donal Fehr.
                      I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by Nomtoc
                        What's your problem? Do not like people kidding around and laughing? Does it pain you to see others having a good time?
                        Just try not to put other members down with your humour.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Lou
                          Well, I don't think I'd enjoy watching a game with you, as you don't seem to enjoy a whole lot about the game either. Since you look around and find so many things to be miserable about, I wonder why you even bother to go to the games? I dislike some of the things you mentioned as well, but they don't rule, ruin, or define my experience at the ballpark. I'm a baseball fan, not a 'team" fan. I support the Mariners first and foremost, but I also enjoy and support many other teams. And guess what? I'm happy when I go to a game, and rarely does any of the things you mentioned ruin a game for me.
                          I suppose that with so many other very polite and kind members here, my suggestion would never be followed, by I suggest that we wouldn't dignify posts like this with a response, especially a first post. I consider myself very new around here, and feel that I must come in and show respect to others here, and get a feel for what is acceptable. I'm a member, yes, but I'm a new member, a guest, and others have made me feel welcome. They've done the same for you. I hope you'll tone things down a bit and reciprocate.
                          So, Welcome to Baseball Fever.
                          Lou
                          Wow Sweet Lou, that's one of the finest posts I've read in a long time. I don't think our paths have crossed here, and though you say you're a new member, it says you've been a member for almost a year. Nonetheless, since this is my first interaction with you, let me extend a kind welcome to you as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                            I like blondes and brunettes. Take that.
                            Amen brother, amen.
                            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                              I'm an idiot, I actually have the audacity to follow both the Cubs and the Indians.
                              Well im sure theres an exception for liking a team and the Cubs.
                              "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                              -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                              -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

wait 'til next year: fans who have two favorite teams
                                as a youngster i followed the giants and orioles (mays and marichal; brooks and paul l. d.)
                                i still do.

luxury boxes
                                enable more "little guys" to get less expensive seats

press box seats
                                the closer one is to the action, the more one can learn about the game

people who stand up with cell phones
                                ok, these people are idiots.

jumbo-tron games
                                i hadly ever watch, unless it is unavoidable. but my nieces enjoy it. and isn't having fun why we go?

barry bonds
                                players want him on their team. he delivers.
                                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X