Crisp Trade Completed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoxSon
    Looking at what Cleveland did last year with a core group of guys, and considering the fact that this kind of team does not crop up too often in cities like Cleveland, I'm really not sure how you can think that this was definitely a good move for the Indians. Marte may prove to be stellar in a few years, but I have a sinking feeling that Cleveland's "shot" was this coming season. For the Indians' sake, I hope I'm wrong.
    Someone mentioned elsewhere that Cleveland has a knack for knowing when guys have reached the end of their usefulness. Granted, Manny still has lots of fire left in him, Thome, Belle and Alomar, Jr didn't really do so well once they'd left Cleveland.

Coco just may work out, but I'm thinking you've gotten him, who's played mostly in LF, rather than a regular LFer. By that, I think both he and his predecessor will be judged by the same standard: what Damon did for Boston from 2002-05. Touch standards to match.
    Originally posted by bluezebra
    What hasn't been mentioned in the trade, is that the Red Sox had to include a case of Wheaties and five gallons of milk.

Bob
    Enjoy your breakfast cereal.

Last edited by Mattingly; 01-30-2006, 04:38 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Someone mentioned elsewhere that Cleveland has a knack for knowing when guys have reached the end of their usefulness. Granted, Manny still has lots of fire left in him, Thome, Belle and Alomar, Jr didn't really do so well once they'd left Cleveland.

Coco just may work out, but I'm thinking you've gotten him, who's played mostly in LF, rather than a regular LFer. By that, I think both he and his predecessor will be judged by the same standard: what Damon did for Boston from 2002-05. Touch standards to match.
      I think too many Red Sox fans have prematurely climbed on Coco's bandwagon, but I also think that there is the potential for exceptional play from Crisp in Boston.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Mattingly, Thome was successful after he left Cleveland until he was plagued with injuries last year. He had back to back 40 HR seasons and 100 plus RBI seasons with the Phillies. Granted, he didn't hit for average that well, but he's never been know for hitting average to begin with. He still be a Phillie if Howard did emerge last season.

Belle posted four solid seasons after leaving Cleveland with the White Sox and Indians. He didn't play beyond 2000 though and end up having to retire. Of course, the O's were screwed and still had to pay him, I believe. I think his contract only end a few years back. Belle's final season wasn't great, but far from bad where he knocked 20 plus HR and still got 100 plus RBI's and batted 281. Point being he wasn't horrible after leaving Cleveland.

Only notable season in my eyes that Sandy Alomar Jr. had was in 1997.

Coco, I believe, is not even close to as old Thome, Alomar Jr. or Belle when they left Cleveland.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X