Best "pull" and "opposite field" hitters in the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "pull" and "opposite field" hitters in the game

Who is the best pull hitter in the game right now?

Who is the best opposite field hitter?

For pull hitters, I'll go with Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi.

The best opposite field hitter I've seen in recent years is Derek Jeter.

I know I only have Yankees here, but that is not intentional. (I do have more exposure to them than other teams..)

Any thoughts from you guys?
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
    Who is the best pull hitter in the game right now?

Who is the best opposite field hitter?

For pull hitters, I'll go with Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi.

The best opposite field hitter I've seen in recent years is Derek Jeter.

I know I only have Yankees here, but that is not intentional. (I do have more exposure to them than other teams..)

Any thoughts from you guys?
    Bonds on all counts

Comment

Big Papi has one amazing pull!
      I know that your a sucker, for anything acoustic
      -Brand New

Comment

Originally posted by laxplayer81217
        Big Papi has one amazing pull!
        I've seen him kill the Monster in LF, while slamming them deep over the fence in RF. I've seen him hit one into the fabled Black Seats at Yankee Stadium.

I don't think he cares where it goes. He just kills the ball. BTW, they usually come up bald when remnants of said balls are found, since the covers have been knocked off them.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

When it came to power going the other way, Piazza during his prime was something to watch.
          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
            When it came to power going the other way, Piazza during his prime was something to watch.
            Hardly seemed like he was putting any effort into it either. Just a big strong boy gettin' his arms extended.

Opposite field hitters:

Jeter, Edgar, G. Anderson, Damon, Boggs, Franco, Arod, Ventura, Thomas

Comment

Brings up another question: who is the most one sided, pull and push?
              A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
                Brings up another question: who is the most one sided, pull and push?
                Jason Giambi NEVER hits the ball to left field...they even shift the infield for him.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                  Jason Giambi NEVER hits the ball to left field...they even shift the infield for him.
                  Which is ironic, since he was considered to be a good opposite field hitter while in Oakland. He has said repeatedly that he can't get into the right frame of mind at Yankee Stadium, knowing that as a left-handed hitter the right field fence is only 314 feet away, while death valley exists in left center if he tries to go the opposite way with anything.

Comment

oppo: boggs and carew. and gwynn putting it through the "5-and-a-half hole"
                    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                      oppo: boggs and carew. and gwynn putting it through the "5-and-a-half hole"
                      tony, you took all three guys I was thinking of. Great oppo field hitters all.

Right now, Jeter and Damon are both good at going the other way.

Bonds is a great pull hitter, as is Sheffield.
                      I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Hit it where they ain't

Bonds is still the epitomy of dead pull hitters, he's just so quick and very seldom gets fooled. Surprised Ichiro hasn't been mentioned as one of the best "slap it the other way on an outside groover" hitters. He's the best in today's game in my book. And, he has surprising power at times; I recall seeing him hit one of his few homeruns the opposite way either last season or in '04.
                        Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

sschirmer: you took all three guys I was thinking of.

sorry to steal your thunder, man.
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Todd Helton can hit to the opposite field. His dad crafted a batting tee from a washing machine hose, which Todd used in the garage. He learned to go the other way with the ball, because pulling it usually meant a dent in the family boat.
                            ?

Comment

When Manny's going good (which is about 80% of the time, give or take), he can take an eye-high pitch on the outer half and somehow, with an easy, graceful, almost balletic swing, pull it over The Wall, and it lands about halfway to New Hampshire. He can also reach out for a low-and-away pitch and almost one-handedly put it into the right field seats.

I am one happy fan to note that he and Papi are still back-to-back in my lineup. :gt
                              --Annie
                              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                              Remember Yellowdog
                              ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X