Designated Hitter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designated Hitter

Do you think there should be a DH? Please explain.
    Both leagues need it.
    14.29%
    There shouldn't be a DH.
    61.90%
    It is fine the way it is. (Just American)
    23.81%
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

No, there shouldnt be a DH... there is no reason why pitchers shouldnt have to hit

Comment

No. It just makes American teams better by keep 14 or so guys from playing a position on another team that could use their talent and hurting the NL's chances in the World Series. It is especially pointless now that pretty much every DH in the league can play 1B or OF.
      The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

I can't stand to watch pitchers "hit".
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Stupid, stupid rule! I HATE the DH!
          "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

I can see both sides from here.

Originally posted by KCGHOST
            I can't stand to watch pitchers "hit".
            I dislike the DH rule primarily because every stinking league on the planet uses it except the NL and their AAA affiliates when playing other NL AAA teams. This has robbed two full generations of the beauty of the way the game is supposed to be played: outdoors, in the sunshine, on real grass, by nine players, not eight and two halves! To me, there are few things more beautiful in our game than a pitcher who can actually acquit himself with the stick, and there are lots of them. Bob Gibson, Greg Maddux, Fernando Valenzuela. Dontrelle Willis, and many others know how to sacrifice, blast one in the gap, wait for a hittable pitch, lay down a bunt, etc. and contibute to the offense. It is painful, though, like KCGhost posted, to see some guys that look like they aren't sure which end of the bat to grasp.:noidea Secondly, I like the way the rule in MLB provides some of the last vestiges of distinction between the two leagues, which has been eroded since Slug has played the role of puppet commissioner. Finally, the DH rule has provided some sluggers with the opportunity to extend their careers, and this in turn allows some youngsters to see some stellar players in the twilight of their playing days that would have already retired before the little shavers had the chance to watch some legendary figures perform.
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Without the DH Bonds would be 22 closer to Hank. I wish Bonds had not had his late "blossoming" which clearly suggests Roid use( check out that pesky forehead ridge) because it takes away from how great a ballplayer he is all around. prior to his alleged use he looked like his Dad, long, lean, and recognised as one of the All Time Greats already. His combination of power(natural), speed and batting eye as well as his defense were unmatched. I wonder if he regrets his "makeover" because although his power grew it still is his natural reflexes and hand eye coordination that were and are so great to watch.Anyway, Ron Bloomberg aside I dislike the DH because it A) allows guys to hang on one dimensionally B) it takes so much drama and strategy out of the game and C) It makes for a stupid rules problem in Inter-league( don't get me started) and more importantly Series time

Comment

i strongly dislike the dh.
                originally created to "liven up the game"*, it's time has long passed.

there is no longer a dearth of offense. as so many here have argued when comparing players of different eras and individual player achievements. today's players enjoy bettered phyical prowess, smaller ballparks, advanced medicine, "throwers" as opposed to "pitchers", and more.

yeah, ok, but "who wants to watch a pitcher bat?

when a pitcher bats more strategy enters the game. the very question of leaving the pitcher in the game to fend for himself gets asked. that can be a very interesting and hair-greying question with 1 out in the 8th and 2 men are on and you're down by 1.

with no dh, managers are required to manage according to rules in place long before the designated hitter existed. rules that make for a game of strategy.

with no dh players are forced to field and bat and run and throw and be well-rounded. baseball can exist beautifully without being so specialized.

*puppet commissioner (thanx, trosmok)
                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                  i strongly dislike the dh.
                  originally created to "liven up the game"*, it's time has long passed.

there is no longer a dearth of offense. as so many here have argued when comparing players of different eras and individual player achievements. today's players enjoy bettered phyical prowess, smaller ballparks, advanced medicine, "throwers" as opposed to "pitchers", and more.

yeah, ok, but "who wants to watch a pitcher bat?

when a pitcher bats more strategy enters the game. the very question of leaving the pitcher in the game to fend for himself gets asked. that can be a very interesting and hair-greying question with 1 out in the 8th and 2 men are on and you're down by 1.

with no dh, managers are required to manage according to rules in place long before the designated hitter existed. rules that make for a game of strategy.

with no dh players are forced to field and bat and run and throw and be well-rounded. baseball can exist beautifully without being so specialized.

*puppet commissioner (thanx, trosmok)
                  Exactly .Bobby Cox had to decide whether or not to bat or pinch hit for guys like Maddox,Glavine, Smoltz etc.AL mgrs could leave a Rocket, or Hudson or Unit etc.in the game. Since 73 that means Seavers best NL years for example he was a decision to be made while Bert Blyleven as an example could keep on going.

Comment

The purity and sanctity of the game may have been threatened to some by the DH. I'm curious, would people like David Ortiz (not like there's anyone else like him) be playing 1B otherwise?

What I'm asking is, what would the folks here do with guys who can either only hit, or whose fielding isn't worth writing home about, but their bat speaks for itself?
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Well Don Baylor for one would not have had a fine offensive career followed by his mgr jobs. That said nothing made me laugh harder than when baylor knocked Sosa for not being a more complete player. This being a guy who made a career out of exercycling until it was time to bat because he could barely field and had a terrible arm talking about a guy who hit 300 homeruns over 5 years and drove in practically every Cub that managed to get on( and there weren't many) while playing 155 games in right 100 of which were day games..If a guy can't play the field anymore , times up. What would Teddy Ballgame have done with the DH? How about JoeD? He quit because he could no longer take the daily pounding in the field on his heels. Betchya he could have had 2 or 3 more 25-95-290,300 seasons with the old between abs epsom salts..I love watching Edgar Martinez hit and good for him for taking advantage of the AL rule but either put it in both leagues or dump it. BTW you could save a lot of AL teams money dumping DH contracts.

Comment

To steal one of Trosmok's favourite quotes, the game should be played by nine, not eight and two halves. The nature of the game when it was invented was that pitchers should hit - the AL isn't playing baseball.
                        Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

I do not like the DH, I also enjoy watching the extra strategy used (i.e sac bunt.) I went to a Mets game last summer against the Cubs, Glavine had more hits than half of the Cubs lineup!
                          I know that your a sucker, for anything acoustic
                          -Brand New

Comment

I too am against the DH. Like WCOB said, the reason it was brought into being no longer exists. Plus the AL plays much longer games now, but of the shift in strategy that the DH brings. Nothing like seeing a succession of pitchers being brought in to pitch to one guy to bore a fan to death like you see so often in the AL.

And for decades, teams had to play great hitters who were bad defenders just to get their bat into the game. Dick Stuart anyone? Now a guy like Baylor can hide in the trainer's room from those pesky plays in the field.

But one thing, it's NEVER going to change. The NL will never adopt it, and the Union will never agree to it's abolishment. <sigh>

KH14
                            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Major League Baseball Official Rulebook

Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.
                              Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X