WBC ad to be played during the Super Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC ad to be played during the Super Bowl

In case you haven't noticed, it's the 1st Sunday in February and is the major sporting event in the USA, as well as the most highly-viewed (and priced accordingly) television bonanza in the USA. We'll also feature *BASEBALL* amongst the countless ads that people will be keeping track of.

My favorite Super Bowl ad featuring baseball was obviously that played 4 years ago in 2002, in which Barry Bonds was in the batter's box taking swings, while some voice from off in the announcer's box was urging him to retire. Who was this unknown man? No other than Hammerin' Hank Aaron, no less. And he certainly had good reason to hope that Barry wouldn't break his record, too!

Anyway, at least *YE OL' BALLGAME* is once again in our nation's (ahem) other pastime. It's set to run during the 4th Quarter.

Mariners right fielder Ichiro Suzuki, who will
    play for Japan in the World Baseball Classic,
    will be featured in Sunday's Super Bowl
    ad. (MLB.com)

WBC to be spoken during Super Bowl
    Tournament to be featured in 30-second ad during broadcast

By Mark Newman / MLB.com

Roughly 90 million viewers around the world are expected to watch the Seattle Seahawks play the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL at 6 p.m. ET Sunday on ABC, and many of them will be watching for the ads as much as the action.
    Baseball will be spoken there, too.

The World Baseball Classic will have a 30-second spot aired during the telecast, featuring seven Major League Baseball players who are identified with the countries they will represent in the inaugural March 3-20 event. They include: Roger Clemens and Derek Jeter (U.S.), Albert Pujols (Dominican Republic), Andruw Jones (Netherlands), Carlos Delgado (Puerto Rico), Mike Piazza (Italy) and Ichiro Suzuki (Japan).

Clemens is the only player with a speaking role, issuing a challenge to all viewers by using the tournament's promotional slogan: "I'll be there for my country. Will you be there for yours?"

"The Super Bowl broadcast is the perfect platform for us to showcase the World Baseball Classic," said Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig. "The tournament was designed to promote our game to the widest possible audience and this commercial will help drive excitement for what will be a truly captivating international competition."

The Super Bowl ad, scheduled to run during the fourth quarter, brings to life the "face-the-world" theme that is featured prominently in the overall campaign for the World Baseball Classic. The announcement of the ad was made Friday by WBC Inc., and fans don't have to wait for the big game to see it. The commercial can be viewed on WorldBaseballClassic.com.

Watching Super Bowl ads has become an event within the event over the years -- and a potential boon for advertisers who can afford television's most expensive slot. In Friday's Wall Street Journal, for example, it was reported that Emerald Nuts is paying a little less than $2 million for a 30-second ad -- because its ad during the last Super Bowl reportedly helped to more than triple the brand's sales. In a listing of committed Super Bowl advertisers, Ad Age reports on its website that Emerald Nuts' spot also is scheduled for the fourth quarter.

Between those runs by Jerome Bettis and Shaun Alexander, baseball will keep such company as: Buena Vista Pictures' trailer for its "Shaggy Dog" remake starring Tim Allen; at least two hybrid-vehicle ads including one for Ford in which Kermit the Frog is backpacking; a baby Hummer; and, of course, romance novel icon Fabio.

Last edited by Mattingly; 02-04-2006, 11:03 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Only one thing to say, go seahawks!
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

The whole world baseball classic idea means morebaseball, but it just goes to show how lame the whole idea is... they have to run an ad to help promote it, they cant even sell out the tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by AYEKAYE47
        The whole world baseball classic idea means morebaseball, but it just goes to show how lame the whole idea is... they have to run an ad to help promote it, they cant even sell out the tickets?
        Uh, when you can get 90 million plus to see your product, I think it makes a whole lot of sense. See: Marketing 101.

Gee, I can't wait to see what other lame products are advertised tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hannah
          Uh, when you can get 90 million plus to see your product, I think it makes a whole lot of sense. See: Marketing 101.

Gee, I can't wait to see what other lame products are advertised tomorrow.
          You think the WBC isnt a waste of time and not a horrible idea...

ignorance is bliss.
          Last edited by AYEKAYE47; 02-05-2006, 01:43 AM.

Comment

You think the WBC isnt a waste of time and not a horrible idea...

ignorance is bliss.
            I'd more say it's a difference of opinion than ignorance.

Please visit the International forum and see what people there think of the WBC. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I definitely cannot agree that a difference there equates to ignorance.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

At this point, the only reason I'll be watching the Super Bowl will be to see the WBC ad.
              I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                At this point, the only reason I'll be watching the Super Bowl will be to see the WBC ad.
                My buddies on another board are wondering aloud if this is truly the best that the NFL has to offer. Slow game being mentioned. Even slower than baseball.

I'm hearing that the catch phrase from Ichiro and Clemens is: "I'll be there for my counrty, will you?"

Comment

[QUOTE=Mattingly
                  I'm hearing that the catch phrase from Ichiro and Clemens is: "I'll be there for my counrty, will you?"[/QUOTE]

Very very weak.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                    Very very weak.
                    MLB is so far behind the NFL in marketing, not as far back as the NBA though.

Comment

Well, I saw the ad. It looked pretty cool. Baseball right in the middle of football. I can imagine all of the ignorant football fans screaming at the TV because they showed a baseball ad. Now that the Super Bowl is over, we just have a few weeks of practical silence until THE season of sport begins.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
                        I can imagine all of the ignorant football fans screaming at the TV because they showed a baseball ad.
                        IMO, in general, football fans are more tolerant of other sports than baseball fans, even the players themselves are.

Comment

MLB is so far behind the NFL in marketing, not as far back as the NBA though.
                          Is that why the NFL needs to have a two week break between the playoffs and the Superbowl?? They must need that extra time to sell more wide screen TV's, beer and hot dogs, for the parties and BBQ's across the country.

As for the ad for the WBC, we did not get any of the ads seen in USA (many of which I understand were quite funny) but we did get a regular mention of the WBC tournament during station breaks.

As for the Superbowl, a very tame game, with some very disputable official's rulings. And it must have cost a pretty penny to have the "Strolling Bones" sing 3 songs at the half time show!!
                          "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
                            As for the Superbowl, a very tame game, with some very disputable official's rulings. And it must have cost a pretty penny to have the "Strolling Bones" sing 3 songs at the half time show!!
                            Most if them are.

The conference championships are the "real" championships.

The Super Bowl is just a good excuse to get out with the boys and have some fun.
                            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

IMO, in general, football fans are more tolerant of other sports than baseball fans, even the players themselves are.
                              I've noticed this as well. Not sure what you mean about the players though. I haven't heard much, if any, complaints from baseball players about football.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X