Breaking News: Anaheim vs Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News: Anaheim vs Angels

This just in the local news. The jury reached a verdict in the trial and found for the defense, the Angels 9-3. The jury was in deliberation for a bit onger than the Simpson jury.

:gt
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Oh well, I knew the city had no chance of winning.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Many "Anahomers" thought that the city would win.

Go Los Angeles Angels!:gt

Comment

Cool! Now everyone gets to make fun of that goofy name for many years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
          Cool! Now everyone gets to make fun of that goofy name for many years to come!
          That goofy name made them millions.

Comment

Has a nice ring to it, and lets not forget that the Angels are an original LA team with an original LA name; not taken from somewhere else.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I guess I really don't care one way or the other, but this is a case where the law outweighed what is fair.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

The L.A. A. of A. are here to stay

The city officials in Anaheim are "disappointed", Angels owner Moreno is "satisfied", and the pettifoggers on both sides are laughing all the way to the bank. Guess it just gripes me that a cool $2,000,000.00 in legal fees could have been better spent by donating to the RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner cities) programs, founded by John Young in Compton, CA. Even Tony LaRussa's ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation) would have been a more worthy cause than giving all that dough to some altready wealthy shysters.
                Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Blame the city for sueing the Angels. If they had just let Arte change the name outright, and not be saddled with the "of Anaheim" part of the name.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                    Has a nice ring to it, and lets not forget that the Angels are an original LA team with an original LA name; not taken from somewhere else.
                    Rumor has it that some Angelenos hate Gene Autry for moving the Angels out of LA 40 years ago.
                    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

"Los Angeles Angels" has a nice ring to it.

"Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is completely idiotic. Just ask anyone in Anaheim. Orange County is not a suburb of L.A. even though it borders it. It's a separate metro area with a completely separate culture and vibe. And they HATE being associated with L.A.

I still say it's as nutty as saying the Washington DC Orioles of Baltimore... Or the Vancouver Mariners of Seattle.

Comment

I see that the LA Times has "Angels" amongst their home teams. Interesting. Here's an article on this:

Anaheim Strikes Out Against Angels
                        Jurors reject the city's contention that `Los Angeles' shouldn't be part of the team name. Claim of potential lost revenue is also denied.

Ending a yearlong dispute that sparked regional one-upmanship and talk-show ridicule, an Orange County jury Thursday decided that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim could keep their geographically awkward name.

After deliberating just over four hours in a trial that pitted the city of Anaheim against its hometown team, jurors voted 9 to 3 that the Angels did not violate five words in the stadium lease that required that the team "include the name Anaheim therein."

Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle, who led the city's multimillion-dollar fight to restore the name, said: "There was a really a broader issue, and that was to make sure our identity of Orange County and Anaheim be preserved. We're very disappointed."
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                          This just in the local news. The jury reached a verdict in the trial and found for the defense, the Angels 9-3. The jury was in deliberation for a bit onger than the Simpson jury.

:gt
                          Rumor has it that nine of them WERE on the OJ jury!

Comment

Originally posted by AnaheimAngelsFan
                            Rumor has it that nine of them WERE on the OJ jury!
                            So by this, I suppose you'd have preferred that the name would change back to "Los Angeles Angels"?

BTW, who here closely followed the trial? Was it on CourtTV or any other program?
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

The ORIGINAL Los Angeles Angels were the Pacific Coast League (AAA) property of the Chicago Cubs. Just as the San Diego Padres were also A team in the PCL. And the Milwaukee Brewers were a AAA team of the Cubs.

Bob

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X