Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

East Coast Bias

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • East Coast Bias

    why oh why is everyone going so crazy over the AL East Race? Sure the Yankees have made a great run, but it doesn't matter since the Tigers and Mariners fell apart.....whoever loses the East gets the Wild Card anyways.

    Why would that bother Boston? They won the 2004 series after being the wild card.

    People say that Boston needs momentum, yet the exact thing happened last season in the central when the Tigers were out to a huge lead and lost the division on the last day and struggled at the end of the season only to make it to the world series.

    To me this shows an East Coast Bias. ESPN and Sports Illustrated do whatever they can to show the Yankees on their cover, which I am getting really sick of.

    The NL central race is much more interesting since whoever doesn't win is OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!

    Thoughts?
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  • #2
    As a Yankees fan or just as a baseball fan, you are COMPLETLEY CORRECT. Why isn't Arizona a big story? I mean, I follow the game closely, but I have limited time to read and listen. I don't know more than five players on the entire team, and I am sure many fans are as ignorant as I am about the team.

    The New York and East Coast media are biased. One reason is money. The other is ratings.

    What a great race the AL East would be if the second place team could not make the playoffs, as in 1978.

    http://major-league-baseball.suite10...ere_eliminated
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LouGehrig View Post
      As a Yankees fan or just as a baseball fan, you are COMPLETLEY CORRECT. Why isn't Arizona a big story? I mean, I follow the game closely, but I have limited time to read and listen. I don't know more than five players on the entire team, and I am sure many fans are as ignorant as I am about the team.

      The New York and East Coast media are biased. One reason is money. The other is ratings.
      What a great race the AL East would be if the second place team could not make the playoffs, as in 1978.

      http://major-league-baseball.suite10...ere_eliminated
      Call it unfair, thats the truth.

      Comment


      • #4
        The Eastern Sports Programming Network has a lot to do with this problem.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

        Comment


        • #5
          I find it quite funny how ratings have been continually going down each year as so-much emphasis is placed in certain regions of the country. Some can say it's about ratings and money, but the actual reality shows the ends have not justified those means. Is the 2000 WS still the lowest rated on record?
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            I find it quite funny how ratings have been continually going down each year as so-much emphasis is placed in certain regions of the country. Some can say it's about ratings and money, but the actual reality shows the ends have not justified those means. Is the 2000 WS still the lowest rated on record?
            2006 was lower, and I'm pretty sure 2005 was pretty low too.
            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

            "I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
              2006 was lower, and I'm pretty sure 2005 was pretty low too.
              They've all been low of late. The emphasis on certain teams only is going to hurt ratings when those teams aren't involved, which happens more often than not. They push certain teams over others to the point where those who aren't fans of the teams that make it aren't going to recognize them when it actually counts for something. They're all wondering where the hyped teams went.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

              Comment


              • #8
                When you have Midwestern teams (that aren't the Cubs) playing in the World Series, as we have the last two seasons, they can always talk about football.

                I hope we have two more Midwestern teams (other than the Cubs) playing this year too. Drives 'em nuts in Connecticut. Tribe-Brewers would be just the ticket.

                This bias is old as the hills. I well remember how they declared the '85 Classic as "boring", because two teams from Missouri were having at it. Then the '86 Series was "one of the greatest of all time", of course, since the media darlings were squaring off.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wouldn't call it bias, in this case. The elevating of players to gods is another story.

                  But here, these outlets have determined that these markets are their hotbeds, the centers of interest and profitability. They are chasing where they think the money and eyes are. They simply don't perceive a national demand for intense coverage of the Arizona Diamondback or Milwaukee Brewers. This is kind of like calling Playboy biased for marketing itself to men - they are catering to what they feel is their most important demographic. If those conclusions are wrong, that's another story. If they are just assuming the conclusions without research, then maybe we have bias involved. If they are contradicting their own research, then even more bias. I assume that national sports networks do intensive research that dictates their coverage patterns.

                  Leagues themselves feel that certain markets are integral to their success. Ask David Stern if he's happy about the Garnett move and if he wants to strangle Dolan as bad as Knicks fan do. It's economics.
                  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

                  In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by digglahhh View Post
                    I wouldn't call it bias, in this case. The elevating of players to gods is another story.

                    But here, these outlets have determined that these markets are their hotbeds, the centers of interest and profitability. They are chasing where they think the money and eyes are. They simply don't perceive a national demand for intense coverage of the Arizona Diamondback or Milwaukee Brewers. This is kind of like calling Playboy biased for marketing itself to men - they are catering to what they feel is their most important demographic. If those conclusions are wrong, that's another story. If they are just assuming the conclusions without research, then maybe we have bias involved. If they are contradicting their own research, then even more bias. I assume that national sports networks do intensive research that dictates their coverage patterns.

                    Leagues themselves feel that certain markets are integral to their success. Ask David Stern if he's happy about the Garnett move and if he wants to strangle Dolan as bad as Knicks fan do. It's economics.

                    But doesn't having people like Linda Cohn, an unabashed Mets fans who somehow reverts to a heavy New York accent whenever talking about them, or Michael Kay on the payroll perpetuate the impression of bias? When Stephen A. Smith goes on a diatribe about how the Tigers were lucky to have beaten the Yankees and were simply impostors for the true teams that belonged in their position last year, is that based on research? Or is it just another example of someone in the position to do so perpetuating who deserves the coverage and who doesn't?

                    Is there only one region in the country that has money? If it is such an economics issue, why has the NFL been so successful without the benefit of New York so much. ESPN can talk abut the Jets and Knicks all they want, but can their lack of ultimate success be blamed if the leagues fall short? Why is college football so successful when there is very little Northeast presence?
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think its just baseball, more than media as a whole that feels the nation revolves around the eastern seasboard with maybe LA, Chicago and Florida thrown in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        But doesn't having people like Linda Cohn, an unabashed Mets fans who somehow reverts to a heavy New York accent whenever talking about them, or Michael Kay on the payroll perpetuate the impression of bias? When Stephen A. Smith goes on a diatribe about how the Tigers were lucky to have beaten the Yankees and were simply impostors for the true teams that belonged in their position last year, is that based on research? Or is it just another example of someone in the position to do so perpetuating who deserves the coverage and who doesn't?

                        Is there only one region in the country that has money? If it is such an economics issue, why has the NFL been so successful without the benefit of New York so much. ESPN can talk abut the Jets and Knicks all they want, but can their lack of ultimate success be blamed if the leagues fall short? Why is college football so successful when there is very little Northeast presence?
                        and let me add that if it is just about money and demographic then maybe its time for ESPN to disclose that instead of showing itself off as an unbiased sports 'news' network. Its like saying its ok for foxnews (or any news outlet for that matter) to be biased because their audience supports it....if they say they are fair, then be fair; but if you don't want to be fair then SAY THAT.

                        and it also comes down to chicken or the egg idea, do the masses like the Yankees and Red Sox more or do they tune in because it is the team they are most familiar with since they are the ones always covered?
                        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

                        -Bill James

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                          I don't think its just baseball, more than media as a whole that feels the nation revolves around the eastern seasboard with maybe LA, Chicago and Florida thrown in.
                          So why is Payton Manning all over the TV?

                          No, I'm not really serious. But I do think baseball has done a severe disservice to the great majority of teams while the other pro sports at least have some balance in their coverage.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You mean becuase three out of four saturday games of th eweke seemed to involve the Mets or Yankees this season? It's like, enough already to anyone not from the area, and to those from the NYC metro area I'm sure they would rather see some other teams they don't see every night. Though to be fair I seem to remember a ton of Reds-Dodgers games in the late 70s.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              You mean becuase three out of four saturday games of th eweke seemed to involve the Mets or Yankees this season? It's like, enough already to anyone not from the area, and to those from the NYC metro area I'm sure they would rather see some other teams they don't see every night. Though to be fair I seem to remember a ton of Reds-Dodgers games in the late 70s.
                              Right, two teams that between them took 7 out of ten league pennants in that decade and were both loaded with popular and good players. But you saw plenty of other teams, too. I remember Nolan Ryan pitching for California on TV a lot. And the Orioles got their share of coverage. When teams are going well they should be covered. But that should extend outside of games. When you have x amount of hours per day for programs like SportsCenter, to act like other teams in a tight division race only should get 15 seconds of coverage while spending 6 minutes on Hideki Matsui getting food poisoning (fictional scenario based on reality) is absolutely ridiculous.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X