X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockin500
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelion
    Sosa was never a good hitter period. Only reason his OBP. might be high is people like to walk the power hitter, this also applies to Big Mac. I can speculate he took steriods, but without proof, not going to complain about and think they're guilty with any facts to back it up my speculation.
    i wouldnt say he was never a good hitter. from 1998-2003 his average was above .279 every year. not a great contact hitter, but he had a lot of power and he hit for average in those years. Dont forget his 2001 season which was one of the best in the last 30 years (except it got swallowed up by Barry Bonds)

it was in 2003 where he started heading south and then in 2004 where he jumped on the rocketsled to Baseball Hell.

Leave a comment:

• The Big C
    replied
    Sosa was never a good hitter period.
    I think that is a little bit of a stretch. Maybe he was never an above average contact hitter, but he was a great power hitter in his peak.

Leave a comment:

• Lipsander
    replied
    I only said I think Sammy was on steroids, maybe so , maybe not. The only reason I did say this is because at the gym where I work out, a few guys have been rumored to take them. When they go off from it, you can tell, they drop quite a few pounds.

Leave a comment:

• Barnstormer
    replied
    Just did a straight-line prediction for Sammy in ยด06 based on his 2001-2005 performance (actually his decline has been pretty steady - losing on average 20 BA points, 30 OBP points and 60 SLG points per season). His line next year turns out to be .199/.259 /.316 with 6 homers. Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Thomas can actually hit the ball and hit for power, just injuries have slow him down. Sammy on the other hand can't hit for average. Nobody fears Sosa any longer, so he won't get many, if any, free passes by walking. What are we left with? A player striking out a lot while trying to drive the long ball and when he does make contact, he doesn't have enough power to drive it out.

Sosa swings for the fences most of the time and strikes out a lotand barely walks any longer. Making him a player who would be lucky to even have a batting average around 250. range and a player lucky to have OBP above the 300.. I have never thought Sosa was much of a hitter, just like Big Mac.

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Hair restoration prescriptions earn a ban from the Olympics

Two words for Sammy.

Coors Field.
    Now that's funny.

If big Frank Thomas plays for the A's for half a million + incentives, there is no reason on earth Samala couldn't swallow a little of that overblown pride and do the same. I don't believe he ever took any steroids, and since it's not been proven he did, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. What if he just had a couple of off years, and rebounds to a 40 HR, .282 BA, 100 RBI season somewhere? Are all the Sosa haters going to still suspect he's using peds but masking them very, very well? Gimme a break.
    Last edited by trosmok; 02-14-2006, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Sosa wore out his welcome everywhere he's been lately. I'm a bit shocked the Nationals would even consider giving him a contract at this point of his career. Without the long ball, Sosa is a medicore level player who can barely hit 250. these days. Speculation is just speculation, there's no proof that Sosa or any other player we might suspect on steriods have took steriods, even if their already guilty in your eyes even with proof.

Only players that took steriods are those that admitted it and those that caught. Those are the only players you can say, with fact to back-up you, that took steriods at this point. Sosa hasn't admitted, so you just can't say ''He took steriods, because I speculated he did.'' regardless of what you have to back it up.

Sosa was never a good hitter period. Only reason his OBP. might be high is people like to walk the power hitter, this also applies to Big Mac. I can speculate he took steriods, but without proof, not going to complain about and think they're guilty with any facts to back it up my speculation.

Trust me, I'm not a support or defender of Sosa in any means. Just stating my opinion about people that say a player a steriod user based off speculation.

Leave a comment:

• Lipsander
    replied
    Sammy wore out his welcome with me. I realize that he's an average player without his steroids. I watch every Cub game that I can. Once the steroid issue came mainstream, Sammy started to lose weight significantly.

Leave a comment:

• DownUnderDodger
    replied
    Maybe if someone offered him a corked bat as part of the contract

Leave a comment:

• The Big C
    replied
    I would sooner retire than play in RFK were I Sammy. The way he is going he might not crack double digits there, this coming from a guy who was and still is a huge Sosa fan.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Do the right thing Sammy, call it a career and hope for the Hall like Raffy will.
    Raffy been caught taking steriods, Sosa hasn't. Big difference. There's just a speculation Sosa and many other players took steriods, but in the end, it's just speculation, not fact like Raffy's case.

Two words for Sammy.

Coors Field.

Leave a comment:

• Zito75
    replied
    Too funny. When you take away all the cheating, I guess he is just an average player. Good riddance, Sammy. :grouchy

Leave a comment:

• Tigerfan1974
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    If he retires, what, pray tell, should I do? ...

^^ *hopes nobody notices it was me who posted that* ^^
    ROFLMAO!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    If he retires, what, pray tell, should I do? ...

^^ *hopes nobody notices it was me who posted that* ^^
    Last edited by Mattingly; 02-13-2006, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DodgerBlue8188
    replied
    He had a big drop from 35 homeruns to 14 but maybe he just had an off year? If you remember the Orioles started off strong and just went to the gutter. There could have been a lot of things going wrong in the clubhouse that could have effected his peformance. I'm not sure what the break down on his homeruns were. But it might reflect the poor second half the team had.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X