No announcement yet.

Should the Gladiatah retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sosa should hang'em up. He didn't just have a mediocre year last, he had an awful year.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
      Sosa should hang'em up. He didn't just have a mediocre year last, he had an awful year.
      and that's an understatement

Comment

He is soooooo close to 600, though. Just one more year, Sammy.
        GOT ALBERT?
        St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
        http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71
          It's not like he's Ty Law or Latrell Sprewell and needs the big $$$ to feed his family. If the Nats are offering him $500,000 for one year only, he should take it.

If he does go to Washington, I can assure you that he'll get #600 against the Dodgers, like I said in a thread here before the 2005 season.

Whats the deal with Ty Law and Latrell? Do they support there whole family or something? J/w

Comment

Latrell made a comment about wanting 10 million instead of 5 million (or something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers), but one of his comments was that he had to feed his family, and, apparently, the many millions he was already making weren't nearly enough. As for Ty Law, I don't know, but I would assume it is something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C
              Latrell made a comment about wanting 10 million instead of 5 million (or something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers), but one of his comments was that he had to feed his family, and, apparently, the many millions he was already making weren't nearly enough. As for Ty Law, I don't know, but I would assume it is something similar.
              Gobble, Gobble! The Top 10 Turkeys of 2004

5. Latrell Sprewell
              Benny, the treacherous cabbie from Total Recall, implored Quaid -- or was he really Hauser? -- for generous tips. "Hey man," he was fond of saying, "I got FIVE kids to feed!" Benny, meet Latrell. He doesn't have five kids, but he was deeply offended by the three-year, $21-million contract offered to him by the Minnesota Timberwolves. "Why would I want to help them win a title?" Sprewell moaned. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed." Unless he's planning to adopt the population of Bangladesh, perhaps Spree should concentrate on his perimeter shooting and spend less time whining.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

While I think some of these salaries are nuts, and I'll never see the interest on those amounts in my remaining lifetime, it's still worth remembering that these guys do not get $7 milllion per year for three years no matter what the papers say. They get much, much less. First of all the agent takes a big cut of the gross off the top. Then they pay humungous taxes, even with salary deferral, and large amounts of that money is deferred, i.e., spread out over many years, long after their careers are over. Some of it may even be in the form of retirement accounts. Their actual annual salary could be in the hundreds of thousands, not too shabby I agree, but now subtract mortages, personal trainers, lawyers, medical expenses, legitimate nutritional supplements (not cheap), travel, insurance, future medical expenses for the wear and tear they've put on their bodies, charitable contributions, etc. Then there's those kids. The college that I went to years ago now says that the average cost per student is $60,000-plus yearly, and that's not counting travel expenses, new clothes, get the kid a car, etc. Call it a quarter-million for a four-year degree. Five kids is $1.25 million at today's prices, although by the time the children of a player today reach college, it'll be a lot more, and they won't qualify for student aid. It ain't poverty by a long shot, but they're not Rockefellers, either. For some there were years spent in the minors at crummy salaries, so amortize what they're making now over those years as well, and of course one injury can cut the whole thing short. There may well be non-performance clauses that would reduce or block future payments, or even require reimbursement. Nobody's supporting Bangladesh off their incomes, nor could they, but it's easy to write and goes down well.

Comment

whats that comment that Patrick Ewing said during the lockout? "We may make a lot, but we spend alot too". (something to that effect)

Comment

Thanks guys and gal,

I know I'm a pain in the butt, but I'm your pain in the butt.

It just irks me when people spend their time speculating about the personal decisions of others. If we want to talk about whether it makes "baseball sense" for a team to offer him the opportunity to continue his career, then we are engaging in baseball related discussion. When we are expressing our opinions about an individual's motivation for the decisions they make, and judging them based upon those decisions, we aren't doing anything different than US Weekly judging a celebrity's choice of outfit for an award show. Its pretty empty, not to mention haughtily presumptious on our parts. Sammy Sosa, amidst much hoopla and specualtion, has had a long career and earned many (probably tainted) accolades. If a team chooses to risk their success and spend their money to give him a shot to recapture some of his glory who are we to tell him to hang it up. I mean, geez, Sammy doesn't say, he random BBF member, if I were you I wouldn't hit on that girl over there, she is way out of your league. He just reserves judgment, but laughs when you fail, as we should do with with him.

For the record, went out to dinner with my girlfriend, did not cook, could not identify what music was playing in the restaurant, but was not pleased. After several cocktails, didn't even realize it was playing anymore.
                    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Good post, Sandlot.

I'll never understand why people single out athletes as being overpaid. They'll watch a game and curse the athletes for being greedy, spoiled and rich. Then a Coca Cola ad will come on and they will say nothing. Yet the executive who runs the advertising company that produced that commercial which is crafted to exploit your insecurities in order to coerce you into buying unhealthy, overpriced garbage,and the head of the PR firm they pay to cover up their human rights abuses make just as much as the athletes. They provide no redeemable service to you, and in my mind are even worse role models than the average athlete. I don't know if it is projection of our own jealousies and insecurities, or a plain lack of critical thinking, but for some reason, we as a culture choose to glorify the greed of the Bill Gateses of this world and criticize the greed of the Latrell Sprewells. It is rather convienent who gets idolized and who gets chastized too, in most cases.

People dismissively say, they play with a ball for a living. Well, of all the people to ever play with a ball- these are the 700 or so most talented and accomplished individuals in that field- so they should be duely rewarded. This is not to mention how they allow the owners of their teams, and the same advertising execs who reach millions of viewers during the games, to rake in money hand over fist. Let's not forget that athletes are still workers- highly paid sure- but just workers. They are making many people a lot more rich than they are making themselves by "playing with a ball!"

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                        whats that comment that Patrick Ewing said during the lockout? "We may make a lot, but we spend alot too". (something to that effect)
                        Rangers OF Pete Incaviglia once said something to the effect of "People think we're all millionaires but they don't realize some of us only make 500,000 dollars".
                        EAMUS CATULI!
                        AC036198

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                          Thanks guys and gal,

Right you are, buddy.

I'll call you BBF's Baseball and Social Opinionator. How's that?
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                            Thanks guys and gal,

Anyone who essentially quotes director John Ford (at least that's who I've seen said it, talking about actor Ward Bond) can post whatver they want here.

Baseball related, of course.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Thanks again,

One more comment about the "playing a child's game" decree. The economic system under which we live and these players play is unbridaled capitalism. Like it or not, that's the system. Since when, under a capitalist system, is a service or item valued by its intrinsic worth? It is worth its value in the marketplace. The market for upper eschelon baseball talent is in the tens of millions of dollars, that has nothing to with the inherent value of athletics or sport. When people ridicule or attack these athletes, they are attacking an overall economic system in which markets determine the value of a commodity. You can't just pick and choose what you like and dislike about free market capitalism.

High school teachers make poor salaries, not because their work isn't valuable, or their skills aren't honed- they do so because there is no money to be made directly off of them and hence a limited market for their profession exists.
                              Last edited by digglahhh; 02-15-2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

The faster we get those who stained the game out of the game, the better.

I'm looking forward to Mr. Bonds' retirement.
                                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X