Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels Manager Mike Scioscia to Step Down at End of Season

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-ange...032841616.html

Though there has been a lot of speculation in recent years that the inability of the team to make the postseason would put Scioscia's job in jeopardy, the official line is that this is his decision, and the implication is he isn't finished with baseball, but only taking a break. He's in the final year of a ten year contract, and chose not to extend. But who knows? At 60, he certainly has more time in baseball ahead of him if he wants it.

If he were never to manage again, he would still have a realistic, though by no means certain, shot at the HOF. He's 18th in managerial wins, with only five non-HOFers ahead of him, none with as high a WP (and at least one of those five, Bochy, is headed to the HOF). Also sixth longest period managing one team.

Speculation over his replacement includes Brad Ausmus (who currently works for the team's GM) and Joe Girardi. How about Dusty?
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 08-05-2018, 07:43 AM.

• Stolensingle
    replied
    So has he managed his last game for the Angels? Seems so, but I haven't heard official confirmation. Who will replace him? I've heard Ausmus mentioned. Certainly an interesting, challenging job. The Angels appear to have three elite players in Trout, Simmons and Ohtani. Just those three make their games fun to watch. Would love to see all three play in the postseason, that will depend on better pitching. Trout has two more years left on his contract. Will he hang around, or look for a team with better postseason prospects?

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    Certainly not a HoF manager.

Leave a comment:

• chino33
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

He's worthy based on 7 postseason appearances and one pennant in 19 seasons?

And for consistently underachieving over the past several years despite having a high payroll and they said it is about the other teams that they were playing against regarding lawsuit and the funding and they said on here that there were requesting and one of the most about the team was how they were playing against them. All in all, you might want to check it with the undisputed best player in the game (Trout)?
    I agree that he is not worthy of Hof as manager.
    Last edited by chino33; 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

I believe that report that Scioscia has not given an indication that he would sterp down., but so far no contract extension appears to e on the horizon either.
    I understand. What's most important is that the asseration he's going to resign is inaccurate and he's not ready to decide.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    For what it's worth, there's a report out now with him denying it.
    I believe that report that Scioscia has not given an indication that he would sterp down., but so far no contract extension appears to e on the horizon either.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    the angels actually did a really good job this offseason, but everyone got injured again. before the season they were projected to win a WC but then richards and cozart had season ending injuries and kinsler was bad. other pitchers got hurt too. can't do anything about that.

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenCub
    replied
    If Scioscia does move on from the Angels, I would assume Joe Girardi is the most likely replacement. To compete with the Dodgers for fans and publicity, the Angels need a big name hire, which Girardi would be. I thought Scioscia has done a good job overall. Until this year, the Angels have consisted of Trout, an aging Pujols and a bunch of average players. In recent years, their rotation and BP has been mediocre at best. The Angels should really have traded Trout. A large number of very good players, especially pitchers, is more likely to get the Angels to the postseason than one great player.

Leave a comment:

• Stolensingle
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/report-ange...032841616.html

What he says is that nothing has changed, which means he hasn't made any decision about renewing his contract, and won't till the end of the season. But that's a funny thing to say if you want to extend and have no plan to retire. At the very least, he seems to be keeping his options open, which again, is not something one does if one definitely wants and expects to stay on.

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

And for consistently underachieving over the past several years despite having a high payroll and the undisputed best player in the game (Trout)?
    His HOF case would definitely be improved by another WS ring. There was a period when the Angels were making the postseason almost every year, but of course recently, not at all.

It's not clear to me how much blame Scioscia deserves for the bad contracts weighing down this team, like Pujols, and earlier, Hamilton. Given the talent he actually has, I don't think he's done a bad job. It looked as though they had a pretty good team this year, but then they were devastated by injuries.
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
    He's worthy of the HoF as a manager, not sure that he'll be selected.

And for consistently underachieving over the past several years despite having a high payroll and the undisputed best player in the game (Trout)?
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 08-05-2018, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NJRob65
    replied
    He's worthy of the HoF as a manager, not sure that he'll be selected.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X