Scoring in 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring in 2018

Apologies if this has been covered already; I suspect it might have.

As someone who follows MLB from a distance - both geographically and metaphorically - it seems to me that scoring is WAY up this season. Every time I check the scores (not daily) it appears that there are multiple teams scoring double figures. Just this morning already, Boston beat Baltimore 19-12, and both Atlanta and Texas have reached double figures. And San Francisco have 7 runs and the 3rd inning isn't over yet.

Can I ask those who know please: What is the average runs/game stat in 2018 and how does it compare historically? And is the frequency of double figure scores statistically significant from a historical standpoint?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l.../MLB/bat.shtml

​​​​​​​4.45 runs per game, slightly down from last year. Scoring is a little above average history but not historically high like in the 30s or late 90s to mid 00s.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Understandably, it might seem like scoring is up because of all the dingers. Yet, as has been noted in other threads, BA is way down and a lot of those home runs are solo shots. IMO, managers have been inclined to 1) leave a pitcher in the game and the announcer(s) have described these moves as making his pitcher "wear it" for his team. That is a new phrase to me. And 2), several managers have been inclined to choose a position player to pitch an inning or two. This has happened more often than usual, IMO. These developments are very, very predictable, but they describe the sport's placing pitch counts and revolving door bullpens as priorities for pitching staffs.

Personally, I still believe the increase in home runs is due to the short-sighted set of goals players have set for themselves with today's contracts. A player banks much, much more than prior generations from his 'slot position' compensation in the draft, and enters the game with a very good chance of being set for life financially before even becoming well-known in baseball. So, it is easy for a player to decide that he only wishes to play 5-7 years instead of trying to play at least 10 or even 15, and let alone 20 years. Next, lets just swing for the bottom of the ball and consider 'launch angle' and exit velo as more important than just making contact. In other words, what kept a player like Brett Butler in the game for 17 years is passe.

While I am not one to consider Butler one of my alltime favorites, he was a player who had 2375 hits and and 1129 walks with only 907 Ks over his career. In 1991, he led the league with 108 walks. True, that is a low number to lead any major league, but he still led the NL in walks. Today, one of the game's best leadoff hitters couldn't start for anybody. Butler was one of the best leadoff hitters in the same era with guys named Henderson, Rock Raines, and Boggs, Yet, Brett Butler would be on the same highway with Peter Bourjos, and no one would know how they missed him.

Anyway, my twocents.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

The 1991 version of Brett Butler would start in Atlanta and lead off, easily. Brian Snitker wants a leadoff hitter like him, as he stuck with Ender Inciarte for WAY too long in the spot after he stopped hitting lefties for this season.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X